Bird eye maple S - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Bird eye maple S

Well, a couple of months ago I bought a cheap 2003 S470DX with the amazing ZR tremolo and started to customize it (the only factory featur I liked was the ZR).

First, I remove the artic blue finish and leave it witha wallnut stained natural finish.

Next I changed the the PUPs to Di Marzio (Dual Sound, blue velvet, and Air Classic).

Then I decided to go for a custom made neck. Five piece, bird eye maple with two wallnut stripes, with a scarf joint (so the headstock is all bird eye maple).

But then I thought, the neck is too doog for the body, so I decided to go for a VV (ala 2020) finish..... until I made my final chioce:
I m adding a heavily figured bird eye maple veneer top with a gold sunburst finish fading to black, with the back of the guitar in black. The headstock will have the same finish (and since its made of bird eye maple it going to be a perfect match).

The neck (with an ultra profile) is almost finished and looks amazing. I ve already choose the bird eye maple for the veneer on the body.

The guitar will be finished in about 2 more weeks

The finished product will be an all gold sunburst bird eye maple guitar from the front, with an amazing 5 pice bird eye maple with 2 wallnut stripes neck coupled with an amazing ebony fingerboard (you have to see this neck and fingerboard!) with off set pearl dots, Di Marzio pups (with coil tap for the dual sound).

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 01:02 PM

Loose the pickup rings this time!!!

and of course, post pics
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
RCB

OK, nice suggestion, I forgot about that! Ill ask the Luthier to do so.

Thanks!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:06 AM

Remove finish

Hey,

Cool project. How hard was it to remove the blue finish, and what did you use??

TIA,

- Dog
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
RCB

The blue finish comes off very easy, but underneath there is a translucent clearcoat (it thinks it s the base for the blue finish). That clearcoat is very hard, so initially I left it (if you take out the blue finish and polish the base you end up with a natural "clearcoated" finish). But then, since the wood of the boy was kind of cheap and the body was made out of 4 (not totally "matching" pieces of wood I decided to go for a professional job and aply the birdeye maple veneer with the sunburst finish.

There was no point in having the best conceivable neck (for my tastes)atached to a regular looking body.

I saw the work in progress and its looking amazing. It taking a little more time than expected though. All thats missing is the sunburst, but it will take a couple of weeks more.

The last touch is going to be a birdeye maple truss rod cover.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
RCB

Finally! The guitar is finished. It looks amazing (on par with my RGT3120), and plays like a dream. The freatboard and the neck are SO good.

Im really happy with the result, so my next step will be to customize my RBM1 with the same guy.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 11:59 AM

Pictures please!!!!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Can anyone host the pics? I dont have where to upload them.

Thanks!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 04:44 PM

You might give http://photobucket.com a try for picture hosting...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 01:23 AM

Who is the lUthier??
quien te esta haciendo la guitarra?
Yo hice una bueno hice el cuerpo una copia d ibanez Rg hecho en Mahogany y le puse un brazo d Stratocaster.
El luthier del que hablas crees que me pueda hacer un brazo copia d ibanez?
Chido
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 01:24 AM

By the way im from Mexico too.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
RCB

El luthier esta en el DF. Te puede hacer el mango que quieras. mandame un pm y te digo como contactarlo.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 01:52 AM

Ya te mande un PM con mi correo.!!! Chido.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
RCB

HERE ARE THE PICS!!!!

Hope you like it (the last pick is the one that best shows the guitar)

http://photobucket.com/practice.php?id=1z18w
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Vendor

Love the neck but, what's up with the fake [I guess] LA serial number? It's too convincing to be "legal"!

Tags
coil tap , custom shop , dual sound , ebony fingerboard , ibanez guitars , pickup ring , pickup rings , scarf joint , sunburst finish , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode