Black Machine F8 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Black Machine F8

What do you think of this?

I like the angled pickups. Does anyone know the specs? The site doesn't have any info.

PS: In reply to a previous post, I think I made up my mind and the headstock isn't really my thing. But I can pretend I'm not seeing it and enjoy the rest of the guitar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:05 PM

Re: Black Machine F8

I think it's a Conklin on acid.
Sweet axe, though Im not even a 7 dude, so...no.
smitty
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 06:48 AM

Custom pickups. You're not getting any slanted production-pickups anywhere - there's no standard measure for multiscale instruments. Which company made them, I do not know, however. I know a guy who gets Bareknuckle to wind his slanted pickups, though...
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:13 AM

I've played it
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
I've played it
You bastard. I want details - all of em!

Please.

Seriously - neckprofile, sound, specs ("25.5-"28?), and all the candy.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 AM

Erm... I wasn't blown away. It was very cool though. Plus, due to the wood selection on this particular model, it was £5k.... I think the base price for an 8 is £2300. Check out sevenstring.org for an in depth discussion of Blackmachine at the LGS.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 09:54 AM

Red face Re: Black Machine F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
Erm... I wasn't blown away. It was very cool though. Plus, due to the wood selection on this particular model, it was £5k.... I think the base price for an 8 is £2300. Check out sevenstring.org for an in depth discussion of Blackmachine at the LGS.
Geez, for that much money, i'd want to be thoroughly blown away, AND happy w/ the headstock!!!:O
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 01:52 PM

damn... when you said F8 i thought it meant he had got floating bridges going.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Slayer J View Post
damn... when you said F8 i thought it meant he had got floating bridges going.
LOL!!!!!!! Me too!!!!
The only thing I've got to say is that it's REALLY expensive!
Even the standard quote for the 8string is high. It could be reasonable for the UK market, but I still find 3400euro(=2300GBP) high.
I hope that the owners really enjoy them, cause they invested a lot!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 03:34 PM

If you are going to sit that on a stand onstage while you're backstage getting ready to go on, you damn well better be able to play the frets off it when you get onstage.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 17

ok so i pressed F8 nothing happend.....=p jokin , this guitar looks cool, but personally i think its a bit over the top, i mean 8 strings? come on you only need 6 or 7, personally i think people have gone to far with the ammount of strings

just my 2 pence XD.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 03:11 PM

The only 8 string that I would understand is with a high A. What is the point of a low F#, really? Just go play a freakin bass.
smitty
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedabob View Post
ok so i pressed F8 nothing happend.....=p jokin , this guitar looks cool, but personally i think its a bit over the top, i mean 8 strings? come on you only need 6 or 7, personally i think people have gone to far with the ammount of strings

just my 2 pence XD.
You don't see people complaining when a painter uses seven colours instead of five, do you? Why should people complain when adding more range to their instrument of choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
The only 8 string that I would understand is with a high A. What is the point of a low F#, really?
1. Listen to Meshuggah.
2. Massive fretboard versatility as you can play wider intervals with minimal fretboard movement.
3. New chording possibilities.
4. Listen to bulb - http://www.soundclick.com/bulb
5. Listen to Meshuggah.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 11:27 PM

I dont like Meshuggah (hope I spelled it right)
One would think that with a high A, and the already added low B, that you would have wider chord variations? B is low enough, so just do the A. If you need a low F# to sound heavy, then you shouldnt be playing guitar.
smitty

ps, thats not against meshuggah, just against anyone that needs an F# to sound heavy.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 07:30 AM

Props on getting the name right.
As far as chord variations - have you heard a low F# in action on a clean tone? In the proper context, the impact it has is massive. As always, it's more about creativity than it is about hardware when we're talking extended range (for example, a multitude of the bands who use seven-strings could just rather use downtuned six-strings since they're not employing the possibilities of the extended range), and I'm personally all about the creativity.
I'd really like an 8-string with a low B and high A as well, but that puts some strain on the hardware, since testimonials apparently show that when you're starting to put the high A under tremolo and bending abuse with the thinnest currently available production strings (.007's), they snap! This being on standard "25.5-scales.
However, since I tune down a step, it ends up as a G, so I might not have that problem. Who knows? I'll get an .007 with my next string-purchase to check it.
Anyway, I'm as much for a low F# as a high A, but for now, the low F# intrigues me more.

Tags
clean tone , floating bridges , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode