Black vs colour figures? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Black vs colour figures?

I remember (I think) a while ago someone posted figures of how many black guitars ibanez produces compared to colour. Can someone direct me or am I imagining things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 12:52 PM

Re: Black vs colour figures?

I can tell you one thing. Eversince grunge and later on nu-metal took to the streets the colors seemed to become a vast minority.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Last edited by Rodney James; 02-01-2008 at 02:42 AM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Reviews: 18

That's one thing that surprised me, seeing so many shades of black, and I thought my vision was pretty good when I thought there was only one color called black

Jimmy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 06:47 AM

Thumbs down Re: Black vs colour figures?

I just had a look at the 2007 catalogue, but I simply cannot agree with your assumptions that everything Ibanez makes is black. In fact, none of the top of the line models even come in black!

There is the RGT, RGA, even the RG2570 is not available in black, they come in outlandish colours such as metallic green (Crashed Deep Ocean), see through pink (Wet Rose) or textured gold (Vital Gold), same for the S-series, S4170, s2170, s670 none come in black, only the low end s470&320.

There are 90 colours in the catalogue, of which 13 are black, some less black than others (Cubed Black Pewter for example or Charcoal Black Flat, which is a stained brown on a flametop) Additionally there are 8 shades of gray, from light transparent to Iron Pewter (=almost black) But there are also 12 types of red, 19! bursts (from honey to brown, antique to amber) and 16 types of blue...

Sure their "most" metal guitars are black, the RG fixed, the single pup 2610, the RG8 string or the S7. As for black signatures (Jem), there is still a choice, just not for the UV, NDM, or MBM, don't blame Ibanez, blame Noodles or Vai.

If you are only seeing black it is because stores only stock black, and black is popular, it's no wonder the RG2550 is black.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

What I'm asking is how many of each colour they make, a model may come in 5 colours but they obviously make a hell of alot more black than anything else because that's all you ever see in stores.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 AM

Lightbulb Re: Black vs colour figures?

any numbers you've seen would've been speculation.

Ibanez doesn't release any production info, other than publicity claims, such as XX number of Jumpstart packs sold...

Like I said, if you only see RG2550 in stores then you will only see black, I haven't seen one in ages. I went to my Ibanez dealer this week, he had a Jem20, several JCustoms, none black, a puzzletop, etc. the only black Ibanezzes he had, was an '07 Jem77VBK, a 7321 and an RG in Cubed Black, which isn't that black anyway.

Note, I'm guessing that out of the odd 50k Jems produced about 1/5th would've been black (PBK, DBK, 10th, 777VBK and 77VBK, not counting GMC and FP)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 10:52 AM

You have a point Evil.

But...

Theres always a but somewhere. If youre looing for a solid color or just piantfinish you do have limited options.

Sure Prestiges are common in natural (wood) finishes and bursts (see-thru). Exeptions aside most of the colors in the 2K7 catalog are dark. Perhaps not black but damn near it.

There is no ferrari or fire engine red, there is no yellow, no light blue, no green, nothing. Its all metallic and dark color or not. Or in other words (and closer to the truth) If you want a vibrant bright color finish youd have one hell of limited choice

Except for the really cool pink one
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 07:12 AM

Lightbulb Re: Black vs colour figures?

Quote:
There is no ferrari or fire engine red, there is no yellow, no light blue, no green, nothing.
No red? How about the JS in candy, or the MTM in bloodred??
No yellow? How about vital gold? Or RG20th
No light blue high-end RG, true; they replaced Cubed Blue with Cubed Black, but you may be able to find one NOS. The fact that it got replaced says something about the market for colours.
But there is the S470IB (Ice Blue), or RG370DX BLH. (Blue Haze)
On the high end RGs you can get Mirror Blue (1570), Royal Blue (RG7) or Blue Flametop (RGA) neither of which is light, but come on, these are not strats...there is no place in metal for baby blue
No green? I would say: limited green availability, RGA in CDO. Or APEX2 in GSF. Just remember, even in at the peak of neon craze, there was no RG in LNG. They only made 777 Jems in LNG and the UVGR is probably the rarest of UVs.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
On the high end RGs you can get Mirror Blue (1570).
i think its mirage blue, not shure though and i would also like to see more colours!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:40 AM

I love black guitars. The old Vai Jem with the asphalt texture finish was killer. Color options are always good though for those with more color-friendly tastes...a re-issue of the Loch Ness Green Jem would be pretty cool. The market determines what is offered for sale though and not enough people want bright yellow/red/blue/pink/green guitars. The Jems will always be pretty flashy...the new black one with the bound body is super classy though.

Tags
ibanez dealer , loch ness green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode