Blaze Custom in 2027 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Blaze Custom in 2027

The 'ole 2027 has at the moment got a TZ7 in it. Now, the TZ7 was a definate improvement over the Evo7 it had when i first got it (thicker and bassier) but after getting a blaze custom and loving it I've started to wonder what that'd sound like in mahogony? Any ideas or should I stick with the Tone Zone7?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 12:14 AM

Re: Blaze Custom in 2027

I have the 2027. Had the TZ7... disliked it for the EXACT same reasons as you. Put in the Blaze Custom, and wow. It's the best passive bridge pickup I've heard.

It sounds like a nice blend of Blaze/TZ/EVO, if you can picture that. You get the clarity, definition, and smoothness of the Blaze, with a bit of the bite, power, and sizzle of the EVO (although nowhere near as harsh), and the punch, warmth, and thickness of the TZ (and even better, a bit of the vocal mids the TZ7 lacks, but the 6-string TZ has in abundance (and which is much better pup than the 7-string version, IMO))

It's a fantastic pickup. I thought the stocker 2027 pups were alright, put in the TZ7, thought in some ways it was an improvement. Tried the Blaze Bridge, and really liked it. Tried the SD JB-7, and liked it, too, but it was a) too loud (feedback-y), and b) too round and uncompressed in the bass. Went back to the BB, and was happy, but got a killer deal from Eric at eric's guitars on the BC, and was even happier.

It's an awesome pickup (as you well know), and sounds great in the 2027. I highly, HIGHLY recommend it. PM Eric on seventring.org, and I'm sure he'll tell you. He loves it in mahogany, too.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 10:33 AM

hello doods

ive got a mahogany bodied ax7221 and i think of changin pickups can you send me samples of how it sounds clean and dirty (with powerchord stuff in the clean version too so i can run it thru my pod xt live and see how it sounds)
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 10:37 AM

my email is [email protected] and has capacity of 250mb so dont worry about the size of mp3 you send
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 10:41 AM

James Bro, I'm a huge fan of Evo7's, But most 7's i've had got Customs for the neck position, Never actually tried one in the bridge, So, Try it It does have a more balanced curve compared to Evo7's,and standard Blazes, so i am assuming it'll sound richer due to the wood it's sat in? Lemme know how it goes, And hows things with you?

Rob
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, no probs, it'll be here and installed as soon as I get the green Blaze Custom for the UV. Tell you what, in the bridge on my universe the blaze custom just kicks the living crap out of the stock blaze!

THe thing with the Evo7 though, is that it used to have one in it when i bought it, and even though it always had loads of gain, it sounded to clinical and characterless to me :/ Hence why i stuck the TZ7 in, now I want to see what the Blaze Custom does as I've heard good things about that with mahogony. If that doesn't work for me I'll try a JB7, and if that doesn't work... I dread to think

I'll let you know what it's like when i slap it in.

In other news I finally put the piezo wiring on the 2027 back together and finally put a new battery in and have been having fun running both outputs at the same time. Just need a better bridge pickup!

Just seen that stone guitar of yours, nice
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 04:19 PM

Keep me updated on the pickup, Evo7's do come across very sterile imho

Rob
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 09:24 PM

I've been thinking the same thing, put a TZ in my 1527...now I think I want a BC in that bridge slot...have an AN in the neck...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 10:42 PM

Is Evo7 really that bad? Seems like Blaze custom is really popular man...
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teof
Is Evo7 really that bad? Seems like Blaze custom is really popular man...
Yeah it seems that the way the EVO is designed, it just dosnt work in a seven string style. Hopefully im buying an RG1077XL soon (thanks Teof!) so im gonna have to decide between leaving the stock Dimarzio-customs or go for a blaze bridge or blaze custom. what do you guys think of these two in comparison in an Basswood body? Im really looking for the Dream Theater ' Train Of Thought' style sound.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:41 AM

I'm hoping to put a Blaze custom in the bridge of my RG7321 if it ever gets into the shop. I've heard all sorts of good things about it so it seems like a good buy. I plan on sticking a Blaze neck model in the neck position. I would go with an AN7 but Dimarzio doesn't offer it in as many color options as the Blaze pickups. I'm thinking that just about anything will be an improvement over these stock pickups. They sound like total mud on the bottom two strings distorted and the clean tones just don't have any life to them (or just not enough life to them for my liking).
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 12:09 PM

I just got a 2027 from Ishi and I am doing the unthinkable......installing an EMG81 7 in the bridge and a 707 in the neck...but the guitar is definitely a beater so im willing to chance it. As I have said before though, the stock 7620 pickups in my opinion still sound best.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead785
I just got a 2027 from Ishi and I am doing the unthinkable......installing an EMG81 7 in the bridge and a 707 in the neck...but the guitar is definitely a beater so im willing to chance it. As I have said before though, the stock 7620 pickups in my opinion still sound best.
What's so unthinkable about doing that? I'd go for that myself with my RG7321 if I didn't have to route the pickup cavities. I've heard that the Blaze Custom gives you some pretty good low end clarity second only to an EMG so that's what I'm going with.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 03:27 AM

You can still get 2027s from Ishibashi?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead785
As I have said before though, the stock 7620 pickups in my opinion still sound best.
I have to agreed. I have 2 7620s and a UV7PWH all with stock pickups. Well, one of my 7620s was swapped for white ones but still the same pickups just different color. Im gratified with the sound of the stock pickups.

Tags
air norton , amp settings , basswood body , blaze bridge , blaze neck , blaze pickups , bridge pickup , bridge position , clean tone , neck position , pickup cavities , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode