Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Blaze Custom...Thoughts?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bduersch 
#1 ·
When viewing discussions about DiMarzio 7 string pickups on this forum, I pretty much only see info on Evo 7s and Tonezone 7s (and Paf7s and Air Norton 7s for the neck side). Most people seem to love these pickups. But there aren't many people talking about the Blaze Custom for their bridge pickup (granted there are some, just not many). So I'd like to hear any comments or comparisons that anyone has on the Blaze Custom. Like how it compares to the Blaze IIs, the New-7s, and the aforementioned models. ('m trying to decide on a pickup replacement for my 7620). Is it powerful? Is it crisp and clear or kinda muddy? Does it sound like the Blaze IIs? (cause I like their tone). Oh, and anyone who has tried the Duncan JB7s, what are those like? Thanks a bunch.
-Chris

#2 ·
Aren't the Blaze customs essentially the same pickups as the "DiMarzio New 7" pickups found in RG7s? I'm probably confused.

I find that the stock pickups are too muddy, and that's why the ToneZone7 is a perfect replacement pickups for me. It's nice and balanced, and while high-output, it's not over the top...

#4 ·
dcord said:
Aren't the Blaze customs essentially the same pickups as the "DiMarzio New 7" pickups found in RG7s?
Actually the Blaze Custom is a hot-rodded Blaze II. The Ibanez/Dimarzio New7 and Custom7 are the ones that are basically the same pickups. :)

I had a Blaze Custom and a Blaze II Neck in a 7620 for a while, and it ROCKED. Compared to the New7's, the Blaze Custom has higher output and much better clarity. Compared to the Blaze II Bridge, the Blaze Custom has higher output and more mids. I thought it gave the Blaze II a serious kick in the shorts. At the time I was playing a lot of Dream Theater, and it was perfect for that heavy 7-string crunch.

--B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.