Blaze-ing - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Blaze-ing

Couldn't resist the subject line

Anyways, I'm finally getting a DiMarzio Blaze put in the bridge spot of my Schecter Revenger-7 (when I brought it in it was still in it's case and I told the guy it was a 7-string, he assumed it was an Ibanez I said I wish ).

Can't wait to get her back and see how it sounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: Blaze-ing

Though, I'm wondering, does anyone have a link to the site that had MP3 demos of a bunch of different DiMarzio 7-string pickups on it? I did a lot of searching but couldn't find the original thread, and want to find that site again.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 11:20 AM

Sweet- perhaps youv'e heard me raving about that pickup lately... I've played it in Basswood, the Tone Zone in basswood and mahogany, and the Evo in mahogany, and this may be my favorite yet (and I was seriously impressed by the evo in mahogany).

-D
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 02:35 PM

Are you saying you LIKE the Blaze, Drew?

If so, you should HEAR IT IN MAHOGANY *doing eveil little troll dance* I told ya so, I told ya so!

Sorry, couldn't resist. If you were being sarcastic about the Blaze, well... well then I guess I look like an ass. Either way, I like it, so there *pppbtth* (The Blaze, not looking lik an ass )

What is your Schecter, Two Hands? Mahogany? If so, I think you'll like it.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:01 PM

I love the blaze, Wolf. Picked myself up an UV a few days back, and will probably never look back.

I'll try one in mahogany, but frankly, I'm pretty happy with basswood.

*plays accompanying music for troll dance*

-D
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Couldn't resist the subject line

Anyways, I'm finally getting a DiMarzio Blaze put in the bridge spot of my Schecter Revenger-7 (when I brought it in it was still in it's case and I told the guy it was a 7-string, he assumed it was an Ibanez I said I wish ).

Can't wait to get her back and see how it sounds
you bought those pickup already ?!?!
i'll be getting my RG7620 stringer soon and i plan to change my pickups....so....any plans for trade/buying or something or whatever
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 04:14 PM

you mean this link: http://www.serj.net/serj/ptbr/dmrz/page.htm ?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
I love the blaze, Wolf. Picked myself up an UV a few days back, and will probably never look back.

I'll try one in mahogany, but frankly, I'm pretty happy with basswood.

*plays accompanying music for troll dance*

-D
Whoa! Really? In the immortal words of Johnny Carson as impersonated by Dana Carvy, "I did not know that." How do you like it? Still have your 7620? I can't help but always feel a WEE sad for you about your 2027, just because of the fact that
A. I love mine so much
B. You were SO right about the TZ7, but the Blaze sounds SO much better than the TZ.

Oh well. As long as you're happy. I'd love to have a UV, just fer sheeps and giggles, if ya know what I mean.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 08:58 PM

Smile Re: Blaze-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennartengel
Sergio Buss rulezzz...
http://www.serj.net/serj/songs/dwnld...-N-Bassman.mp3
Tubarão.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennartengel
That's the one Thanks!

And yes, I bought the pickup already, and it's being installed (along with some other minor wiring repairs). I'm only replacing the bridge pickup for now (all I can afford, and it was the only 7-string pickup in the entire city that I've found so far).

And the Schecter is basswood, so it should sound sweet
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Sweet- perhaps youv'e heard me raving about that pickup lately... I've played it in Basswood, the Tone Zone in basswood and mahogany, and the Evo in mahogany, and this may be my favorite yet (and I was seriously impressed by the evo in mahogany).

-D
Hey, Drew. What did you think of the Tone Zone in Basswood? I'm having a custom seven made ATM and I think I'm going to go for that one as bridge pick-up since it's the only one with the chrome pole pieces apparently.

As for the neck, I'm pretty set on the Air Norton (even though my luthier keeps trying to convinceme to go PAF7...).
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf
Whoa! Really? In the immortal words of Johnny Carson as impersonated by Dana Carvy, "I did not know that." How do you like it? Still have your 7620? I can't help but always feel a WEE sad for you about your 2027, just because of the fact that
A. I love mine so much
B. You were SO right about the TZ7, but the Blaze sounds SO much better than the TZ.

Oh well. As long as you're happy. I'd love to have a UV, just fer sheeps and giggles, if ya know what I mean.
Yeah, but I think I made the right decision- the 2027 was just an ungodly looking axe - that finish just brought the mahogany grain to life - but tonally it wasn't 100% what I was looking for and the peizo was actually more of a nuisance than anything. I'm a constant tweaker, and the fact the bridge was hard-wired to the body and couldn't be popped out of the body was pretty irritating. Considering that I rarely used the peizos...

I still have the 7620, but I'm thinking of letting it go- the upper access is better, and it'd be nice to have a smoother sounding 7 lying around too, but I doubt I'm going to be playing it much, and, well, it's too nice a guitar not to get the attention it deserves. I'll give it a bit longer to decide, but...

Yeah, it's a UV7PWH- if you want pics, surf on over to www.sevenstring.org or www.extendedrangeguitar.com and check it out in the user galleries. You're primarily a seven stringer, right Dark Wolf? Surprised we haven't seen you over there yet.

If you wanna hear it in action, Elysian's hosting a clip for me- http://premium1.uploadit.org/Elysian893/uv.mp3 Just a rough, quick improv'd lead over a hacked-together 7/4 riff, but you get the idea (incidentally, the gain on my Nomad was like at 4 for this- this guitar doesn't need much gain to make it sound "right").

zErO- Well, the Tone Zone isn't a bad sounding pickup, and kept me very happy for a while... But, well, it's all midrange- the bass isn't nearly as powerful as people let on, and there's no treble to speak of. Yet, somehow, there's this slight "spankiness" to the high end that still bothered me a little. At first it was just in the 2027, where the highs were dead, but there was still this slight crunch in the extreme high end that I couldn't dial out, but it was starting to bug me in my basswood 7620, too. But I just lived with it- it was the only "good" seven string pickup I'd ever heard in basswood (I'd played an Evo7 in mahogany, which I really liked, but eventually opted to keep my 7620 over the 2027), so I didn't think it'd get much better than that- it was always a pickup I liked, with reservations.

Now, however, I'm completely sold on the Blaze. It's got fuller bass and actual treble, and just sounds massive for riffing. But, because there's so much treble, you can actually dial it back on the amp, giving you a smooth yet still clear lead tone without any of that sizzle that annoyed me about the 7620. It strikes me as a far more versatile pickup, and I've never been happier with my tone than I am now.

I have no illusions that:
a.) this will be my last 7 string- I expect to keep it, but suppliment it with a 777bk eventually, and god knows what else, and...
b.) that there aren't other, better sounding 7-string pickups out there- hell, anything's possible. I'm sorta tempted to try a Lundgren now, as it's unpopular in basswood for a lot of the reasons the Blaze is (too bright, scooped mids, etc), but that'll have to wait for condition A. (or I could keep my 7620 and go nuts, but I sort of need a new bass, so...)

-D
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 03:26 PM

i like my blaze custom in my RG7421, but it lacks the low end i expected from it, which i think is attributed to the basswood body...
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Well, I picked up my guitar today, and not only did the guy install the pickup, but he replaced my broken jack and cleaned all my electronics Now this thing plays great, and sounds great Will have something recorded soon-ish.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:40 AM

sweet!

Tags
air norton , basswood body , bridge pickup , dimarzio blaze , schecter revenger , scooped mids , sounding guitar , string pickup , string pickups , tone zone , versatile pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode