Boaz Modular Guitar (Kickstarter Program Started) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By j.arledge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Boaz Modular Guitar (Kickstarter Program Started)

OK, I have plenty of guitars, but this one has me excited for several reasons.

One, it's made from materials that won't warp or be affected by humidity, etc.

Two, there are 50 combinations (with the full package), including swapping humbuckers (Les Paul), single-coils (Strat) and a Tele version.

Three, it actually plays and sounds good (based on the feedback of the Guitologist (I doubt he would endorse something or spend so much time on a subject if it was decent).

I'm intrigued by the adjustable bridge and how easy it is to intonate each string.

Four, it has its own built-in stand.

Certainly a bunch of other factors, including different styles of bodies, but this is one of those projects that many of us think about or would like to happen and it's far more diverse and cheaper (and easier for switching) than those Relish guitars. Here is the link for those who haven't seen it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boazinstruments/boaz-one-one-modular-guitar-50-combinations?ref=awj3vt

I'm looking into the Premium package, with three body styles and brass bridge.

Anyone else looking into this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Re: Boaz Modular Guitar (Kickstarter Program Started)

A video:

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Hard pass. These look terrible and cheap. The pickup module look proprietary, so I am not sure about support for other pickups too.

Relish guitars look better and are better and it is the same concept.

The idea of modular pickups has been around for a while. This is not unique, doesn't look good and is unlikely to gain a ton of support. Guitar players don't like things that depart too much from the norm, and these are straight ugly. Gibson failed with the robot tuners, the line 6 variac guitar didn't do well, Dan Armstrong had something similar that never made it to mainstream, Ibanez had the kaoss which flopped pretty hard and I am sure there are numerous other examples of why this probably wont catch on.

I have had a plan for quicker pickup swaps for a while now, but I haven't found a way to perfect it so it is small enough to go on most guitars and cheap enough for me to make any money on it. The mad hatter kit is a joke, it is way too expensive.

Anyways, good luck with buying in to that. I hope it works out for you.
bammbamm likes this.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

I like Relish, but find they far too expensive (2-3k just for the guitar... one body style only... and $500 or so for a set of pickups that take longer to swap out (frig, you could swap out in the middle of a song with the Boaz). Granted it looks cheap because of the plastic, but it's all molded plastic (steel in the neck). No idea if Relish is better in terms of sound or playability... I haven't compared the two (haven't played either), and so I'll reserve judgement. Cool you have the experience. I do know of several good guitarists (far better than I) who have played this at the Summer NAMM and were very impressed with both sound and playability of the neck. I actually don't find it ugly... has a Batman vibe to it. I have a Parker Dragonfly and some people think those are ugly. I also have a Kiesel Vader that I think looks cool, but I know others think it's ugly. To each his or her own. Have a good one.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I found an interesting video... some background with Boaz (who worked at Fender and Gibson, besides his own acoustic work) and the years it took to develop the final outcome.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

By the way, it's not a cheap plastic. This guitar is made of Delrin (acetal homopolymer)... a high density plastic that bridges the gap between plastic and metals. Its used in medical instruments and other industrial uses. It took this guy (Boaz) about 20+ years to fine-tune all the parts, playability, etc. He's also a master luthier with acoustic instruments.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Kent Armstrong pickups and the pickup selections look pretty cool:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

In the comments section on the gofundme page it's indicated that once this project launches the company will be offering blank cartridges so that you can add in whatever pickups you want. And so, you can buy the guitar with one or more blank cartridges (not the ones with Boaz pickups) and pop in the humbuckers, single coils that you want.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 07:20 AM

kickstarter rocks

Last edited by krzys4x; Today at 07:33 AM.
krzys4x is online  

Tags
boaz , modular guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode