Bodies that are HOLLOW... - good, bad, or just ugly? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Bodies that are HOLLOW... - good, bad, or just ugly?

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1974 ES-175T. Note, that the 'T' means it is a thinline version of the guitar (Gibson). Now I've been led to believe that hollow body guitars are more prone to feedback. This guitar is totally hollow...not like a ES-335 with the block down the middle. Is feedback really that big of an issue? I like to play clean mostly, but I'd like to kick in the distortion once in a while too. Does having the thinner body perhaps aid the crazy feedback problem? I mean, Ted Nugent used hollow bodies. Hmm...but then again he was the feedback king. Is it controllable? Are there any mods I could do?

* * Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 09:47 PM

Bodies that are HOLLOW...

Hitman,

I have three semi's and a hollow body and I can tell you from bitter experience that feedback with a hollow can be a wailing pain in the butt... but it's all about a fine balance between volume, gain, proximity to the amp, and position. Even in small rooms at stage volume, I can usually find a place that gives me a break from feedback (though I often have to get angled away from the speaker just a certain way). Add a little gain to the situation and chaos ensues. Sure Ted does it, but he's playing outdoor venues and arenas last time I checked - it's different in a 120 seat pub. Brian Setzer manages to do it, but he's not applying liberal doses of gain. Ultimately, I prefer semi's - they suffer from feedback to some degree as well, but are FAR more controllable, and offer most of the airiness and slap and depth in the tone that you get out of a hollowbody. I've heard of people stuffing pillow cases and paper towels through the sound holes to fight feedback :lame: - if it comes to that, I'd rather just grab a solid body axe.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've heard of people blowing up BALLOONS inside of the hollow chambers to battle feedback. Pretty crazy stuff. I think I'll look into a Semi Hollow Body. The Epiphone AlleyKat is a inexpensive and high quality piece of work. Plus, I don't know about a Gibson from the 70's....I heard the quality was so-so. Actually, I don't even know if the newer Les Pauls suit my tastes!

* * *Thanks,
* * *STeve
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 10:28 PM
edo

Check out the Hamer Semi Hollow body, this are a very underestimate guitar manufacture who is actually produce a very high guality guitar, price is cheap considering the quality from the guitar.

Tags
hollow body , les paul , les pauls , ted nugent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode