bolt-through locking nuts? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

bolt-through locking nuts?

This has been bugging me for awhile, and who better to ask than you guys...\

Whats the deal with the locking nuts where the bolts go through the neck? It seems like a very critical spot on the guitar to be drilling 2 holes right through it...

Are they inferior to the other design (top mount nut)? Superior?

thx guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 AM

Re: bolt-through locking nuts?

ibanez changed that sometime, most of the necks have a volute at that point and have top mounted nuts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
ibanez changed that sometime, most of the necks have a volute at that point and have top mounted nuts.
Yeah that's how my '06 RG1570 is but I was looking at an '05 Universe on e-bay and it had the bolt-through nut.

Like I said it just seems like an extremely critical spot on the neck to have 2 holes drilled through it...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 AM

Reviews: 34

To be honest I have never had a major problem with that kind of nut, although I do know that the neck is weak there.

As long as there are no obvious cracks or damage, they should be fine.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 AM

Locking nuts with the holes thru the neck are perfectly fine. As said before, make sure there's no damage there and you should be set. There are probably a zillion guitars out there made that way that show no signs of damage and I think that its still the standard way to have the locking nut. It would not and does not stop me from buying a guitar.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 PM

The top mount is susceptible to screw hole damage (wallowing out or stripping of the hole) from trem use especially if the wood screws loosen up from weather changes or whatever, and goes unnoticed. At that point though, you'll have tuning stability problems and it's usually easy to identify the loose nut as the culprit. Overtightening the wood screws can also lead to stripping of the holes. The good thing is, if the screw holes strip out, you can usually drill the hole through, add a counterbore on the back side and mount up the same nut (the holes are threaded) with thru-bolts.

Wood screws are great for pickguards and truss rod covers but for a component that sees a lot of stress reversals (e.g. locking nut under trem use), the clamped design (thru-bolt mount) is probably more reliable.

As for neck strength, the top mount could be stronger, but if the wood screws went in a little too tight on initial installation, cracks can develop.
At the end of the day, neither neck design will take the wrong hit on the headstock... best to avoid accidents with the guitar when leaning it on things, turning around in tight places, stepping on it in the dark, taking it off in a room with low ceilings or overhead fans, etc.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Vendor

I'd take bolt through over screw on anyday, and twice on Sunday.
Rich is online  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:32 PM

Reviews: 1

could a top mount nut can be transform to a thru bolt?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironjose View Post
could a top mount nut can be transform to a thru bolt?

IDK the answer, but going back to the critical-ness of the spot on the neck I would think it'd be best if it came from the factory like that, unless you knew a totally badass luthier.

If anybody can answer that I'd say its Rich...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Vendor

It would have to be drilled correctly, and you'd need the correct bit that creates the bolt seat. If the question is can the nut itself be changed, you could helicoil it to the right thread, but it would be easier just buying the right nut.
Rich is online  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:22 PM

The only "problem" with the through bolts is that everyone likes to overtighten them, which leads to cracked necks. You see the same thing working on cars. People LOVE to tighten fasteners, which leads to all sorts of broken off bolts or stripped threads. Unfortunately, on a guitar the weak spot is the neck, which can't be replaced like a broken bolt.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 12:53 AM

Reviews: 1

hmmm i guess the answer would be... try if you dare!!!
as for the overtighten people... it can be on both types of nuts... when i changed the floyd on my GRG and installed the new nut it came with both screws the top and thru... but over the years the hole that makes the screw stay in its place gave up and now it can be seen when you look at the truss rod...
so it came to my mind if a top can be routed otherwise...

Tags
locking nut , top mount

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode