Bought an 8 string - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Bought an 8 string

Well after looking at the agile 8 strings for months, and after finally playing a stephen C model ltd 8 string, i decided it was time to invest in one.

I am going to try and post a video once i get it in, and if i am lucky i may get to use my buddie"s ISP Theta combo. If you dont know about ISP and what they are doing you NEED to check them out if you are using dropped 7 or 8 string guitars. They make some Excellent stuff, very brutal but very musical and usable.

http://www.isptechnologies.com/index...d=39&Itemid=99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 01:00 AM

Re: Bought an 8 string

Pics?
I've read that Agliles are a great guitar for the money.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 01:08 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

THETA here means boobs!
An amp called boobs,I really want to tweak it bwahahahahahahahahaa

BTW those audio samples are........horrible.Very nasal and digital tones.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket226 View Post
Pics?
I've read that Agliles are a great guitar for the money.
i have the agile intrepid 828 pro.....it's The Monster!

realy good!

also conklin and ibanez (lacs) are extra monsters!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

The amp is a little harsh at first, it can be dialed back but i think it sounds like a soild state version of a 5150/6505 only with better cleans. The gain is there and the thickness is there. The amps sounds like you miced up a 5150 and are running it through a PA with a good subwolfer.

Eithere way, they sound so much better then those clips they posted. The amp sounds ok by itself but it really stands out in a(live) band. It cuts well without being overly raspy like a krank or randall.

I'll get the 8 string a little later on in this upcoming week, and i'll be sure to post pictures and a detailed review.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:47 AM

Reviews: 7
Talking Re: Bought an 8 string

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
It cuts well without being overly raspy like a krank or randall.
A Randall owner says:
I think you got the point there.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Reviews: 22

a Randall annnnndddddd Krank owner sez......

I'll keep mine and everyone else on earth can play a 5150, a recto, or with boobs.

Cheers on an 8 string though.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEE HAMMER View Post
a Randall annnnndddddd Krank owner sez......

I'll keep mine and everyone else on earth can play a 5150, a recto, or with boobs.

Cheers on an 8 string though.
I am not personally a fan of the kranks or randalls that i have played but i can say i have heard some good stuff out of them by bands and artists that are using them. I have just never gotten into them , i like a more compressed/liquid distortion.

They have thier place for sure, but they just aren't my bag.

I can say that my mesa mark III is probably going to need a new set of el34s or kt77s , because the 6l6s in it aren't going to help me with the bass mud that the lower end of an 8 string might give me. I guess we'll have to see.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 01:51 AM

Reviews: 22

I'm not dissing the sound of a peavey or mesas (the mark series are great), i just tend to stick up for Krank's and Randalls when they catch a bad rap.
The Krank chadwick is one of the most underrated amps of all time for cleans and british voiced rock.
My k-stein took weeks to eq perfectly for me, and I have never liked the sound of them without being tuned down to at least cgcfad. The low end is perfect once it's cranked to gig volume, most people who try these out go on and on about fizziness and treble when playing them in stores or bedrooms, but it's a a 100w tube amp, not a spiderIII, i am lucky enough to have an area at my house large enough to run amps at full tilt without bothering neighbors,family, or going deaf so i get to hear things a bit differently.

Isp seem to be doing things pretty well and i'll have to check them out in detail

and jay you are correct, my variety of amps aren't compressed or very controlled but that's my taste. I know you have good taste observing the amps and guitars you use.
I used a ltd-608 for a little while last year and i had to use a completely different style of voicing, cabinet and effects than usual since it had such a range on it.
My best advice from using 8 string guitars is don't use too much gain, and use closed back cabinets.

can't wait for your update and review though.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEE HAMMER View Post
My best advice from using 8 string guitars is don't use too much gain, and use closed back cabinets.

can't wait for your update and review though.
that's true! isn't the same patern EQ with other guitars like 7strings or 6strings...the low must be in a balance between the mids and hi frequence!

and all my distortion pedals sounding sluppy now without set it -_-

cheers
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

still waiting, i'll get it tuesday. .......... i hate waiting
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

hey dudes , i got it tuesday.

It is sweet, i checked it over as soon as i pulled it out of the box and the quality and craftmenship is excellent. There wasn't anything i could find, the frets were dressed and filed uniform, the finish is nice and satin smooth, the neck's finish feels like the lighter finished ibanez necks, the hard wear an pickups are top notch for the price.

It sounds amazing, and plays about the same. I really love it and if i get into some money i'll be buying me one of there neck thru models with a kahler.

It does take a little getting use to because the neck is so wide, if you have problems on a 7 string you are probably not going to be able to get around the 8. I am furtunate and have big paul gilbert style hands so the 8 isn't so bad but one of my buddies looked at it and said he wouldn't be able to play it, and sure enough he had issues.

I did have to change my settings up quite a bit. Less gain more mids, a touch more highs, pulled the bass way back and brought my presence up. I could see how using a Krank or randall would help with having lower tuning.

I checked it out through my buddie's ISP and it does indeed rock and rock hard.

Either way i'll try to get a video up this weekend but i can't make any promises, i am basically working two full time jobs and going to school. I work in a music store and i do the tech work, shipping and reciving, sales and i am in the process of rearranging the whole store to make room for the christmas inventory we will be getting over the next couple of months.

The work thing is a whole different story, so back to agile. I have heard great things about thier guitars, and if thier other stuff is as good as my 8 string, well there is no reason to buy anything else. If i was a touring musician i'd try to get endorsed by agile, because you can buy 2 or 3 of thier guitars for the same price as some of the ibanez, ltd, and schecter stuff and end up with basically the same guitar.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 07:44 AM

pics? please?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

yeah i'll try and get a picture or two up.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 04:42 PM

Tags
8 string , isp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode