Bought a classical yesterday - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
YJM

Bought a classical yesterday

Guess what? I picked up a mint Yamaha CG150CCE nylon string guitar yesterday. It's got a solid cedar top, nato neck, rosewood fretboard, ovangkol laminated back and sides, and gold tuners. The craftmanship is fairly good. And the guitar itself sounds and plays exceptional.

I only played it for maybe 15 mins last night, but it was a most enjoyable 15 mins in a long while. I'm in love.

I plugged it into my GX700 and started playing with my favourite clean setting - boy, does this thing know how to sing!!! It's the best nylon tone I've ever heard. Even better than the recordings, IMHO! The tone is warm and soft and mellow. Unplugged it sounds even better - a very nice nylon tone for playing the intro to 'Black Star'!

Interestingly when I tried using a distortion on it, the thing sounds almost like a PAF Pro at the neck position. I could even get some hamonic screams happening! And I was like, "What the heck! Maybe I can forget about getting that Les Paul Standard for now."

I'll post some photos soon.

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 12:47 PM

congrats!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
YJM

I finally got a chance to take a pic of Paula (File size: 192KB).

You'll see that the cedar top uses a matt satin finish. It doesn't look very attractive. I guess it's something different. I just restrung it over the weekend. That helps. Now the tone has quite a bit of brillance (not overly) with a good balance of warmth. I love the sound of this thing!

Action is too high for my taste. I need to do some work on that soon.

BTW, I was trying to play a bit of Vinnie Moore's 'Never Been to Barcelona' with a pick. Hmm...IMNSHO I thought I sounded better than Vinman on his CD , especially the lower strings sound much heavier on mine!

-Bill
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 07:24 AM

sorry,
but the link doesn't work on my pc!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
YJM

Here we go again, Nuno!

http://www.picturetrail.com/yjm

-Bill

Tags
les paul , les paul standard , lower strings , neck position , paf pro , rosewood fretboard , vinnie moore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode