Bowed Neck, how much is too much? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Bowed Neck, how much is too much?

Hi guys,
I went yesterday to the local shop where I was supposed to pick up the old rg 550 i was bragging about last week, here on the forum.
I was checking it once again and became worried about the neck, it is a bit bowed, can't really tell you how much, but you can tell it is.

I'm wondering, how much is TOO much?
I know "something" about manteinance, but this guitar is 20 years old and i'm afraid it's now too late to fix this thin wizard neck. Hope i'm wrong, but I don't want to waste any money, even though it's only 150 euros.

So, if I can fix it with turning the tuss rod, how do I know if this neck is not too bowed to fix? (it didn't seem warped anyways)

there's always another issue, i'm sure you guitar players will understand: this issue will be stuck in my brain every time i'll play it, and even if this will be fixed, i'm sure i'll always have in the back of my mind the idea "owww, the neck was bowed, i'm sure i'm playin like crap because of it..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:26 AM

Re: Bowed Neck, how much is too much?

Generally, I've found that the truss rods on those old Wizard necks are effective in straightening the neck, even after many years. As long as the neck isn't twisted, it should be OK.

Nonetheless, if there's a chance that the neck has been sitting that way for a long time, it might be a good idea to first oil up the threads at the nut. Then use the clamp trick to straighten the neck and then tighten the rod to hold it in place. A good luthier will know about this method.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

oil up the threads at the nut?
what do you mean?

clamp trick? any guide how to do that?

thanks for the advices btw
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 AM

Reviews: 12

Bit of WD-40/3in one oil as the nut may be stiff etc....

I posted in the other thread does GB mean your in the UK? if so i'd be happy to look at the guitar for you, I recently bought an 01 550 which needed some minor adjustments came with 8's so the truss had to be adjusted for 10's as did the bridge.

You will probably just need to tweak it back or foreward untill it's right then adjust again wood apparently retains memory...

I wouldnt worry too much about the thickness of the wizzard necks as they are sealed with a finish...

If it's in a cash converter type store then it probably hasnet been really well cared for...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Reviews: 15

Every guitarist should have a few tools on hand. One of them is a luthier's ruler.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/St...&xst=3&xsr=685

or

Also make sure that you set it up in the store. Ask them for the wrench and do it there. One time I was considering a Mexican Strat. It was bowed, so I asked for the wrench to do a quick setup. As I started to straighten out the neck, one of the frets popped off the neck...and the neck was still far from playable. So, you are much better off doing it there in case there is a reason they have it bowed so much....maybe to keep a few frets from popping out.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,
it's a cash converter shop, so they don't have any guitar related tool to try fix it directly there, i'll have to buy the guitar and then try fixing it...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 AM

find out what tool is needed to do it, and bring it with you.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Reviews: 12

You only need a hex wrench assuming Ibanez have always used that as opposed to the allen style nut for the truss rod.

So is the guitar in a cash covnerters in london then?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag8 View Post
oil up the threads at the nut?
what do you mean?

clamp trick? any guide how to do that?

thanks for the advices btw
Sorry -- I wasn't too clear. As ozzuk clarified, it's always a good idea to lube up the threads at the end of the truss rod before tightening, especially if it's likely that the truss rod hasn't been adjusted in awhile.

As far as the clamp method, you would only resort to this if the truss rod seems to be very tight or if it can't get the bow out of the neck (neck doesn't respond when nut is tightened). Here's a video in which Dan Erlewine explains how it works. Not hard, but you do need a simple clamp and a stiff bar of some sort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2HGn7c9_uo

But I suspect all you're gonna need is that little hex wrench and the neck will straighten right up. Good luck!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespauled View Post
Every guitarist should have a few tools on hand. One of them is a luthier's ruler.

or

I like this ruler personally because it is metric on one side and standard on the other.

http://www.reuels.com/reuels/Stainless_Steel_Ruler.html

That second tool you posted, I think I'll definitely have to order one of those next time I get stuff from Stew Mac. I also keep around a capo and a set of feeler gauges from Sears. To measure neck relief (neck bow as it's referred to in this thread), I'll capo the strings at the 1st fret, press the string down at the 24th with my finger and then measure clearance with the feeler gauges.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 PM

Reviews: 2

This is all assuming that the neck is NOT back-bowed......

Mag8: can you clarify which way the neck is bowed?? are the strings at the 12th fret too close to the fretboard, or too far away?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 08:33 AM

Why would that matter? If it's back bowed, the trust rod could be loosened. The point is to make sure that you check it BEFORE leaving the store.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 04:06 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Why would that matter? If it's back bowed, the trust rod could be loosened. The point is to make sure that you check it BEFORE leaving the store.
why would back bow matter???? Umm...... because if it's visibly noticeable, the neck could be garbage
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 05:30 PM

It could be bad, but it also could be due to a change of string gauge by a novice that didn't know any better, and just got rid of it. Again, the point is to make sure everything is in perfect working order BEFORE handing over the cash.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Exactly. My DY Jem had a back bowed neck when I got it (the seller hilariously told me that he liked his 7VWH better because he could play faster on it). Loosened the truss rod and everything went right back to normal.

Tags
neck bow rg 550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode