Brand new Prestige tremolo problems, Please Help!!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Brand new Prestige tremolo problems, Please Help!!!!

Hi guys this is the 3rd Ibanez prestige guitar with Original Edge Tremolo I've owned. I was planning on using this guitar With 10-46( Standard Tuning) E-e Gauge strings. Stock they come with 9-42.. This is the first time I've played 10s and I do like them. But I just can't happen to feels is the right gauge. I can tune to perfect Pitch. (The strings on this Inbanez have beewn creating tuning issues when I use the whammpy bar. I'vbeen very careful to spend my time adjusting the strings and doing entire setup but so far for the guitar and I have set other Jackons w/Floyds and Ibanez Prestige guitars with 9-42 and never had an Issue but for some reason this guitar has not and will no cooperate. The Bridge when I was the whammy bar either makes the notes stay higher then they should be after a nice long bend or if I dive bomb they return low. But the thing is.. Its brand new and the bridge is flush. I've heard some people. Thank You for you're help in advance. Thank you.. Means so much to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Re: Brand new Prestige tremolo problems, Please Help!!!!

More posts and advice will be greatly appreciate it. Thank you again.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:25 PM

Reviews: 1

Bridge should not be flush. See set-up tutorial on Ibanezrules website. Click on the banner at the top of the page. All your questions will be answered there.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

I looked through for about 30 minutes I'm not extremely use to hit website because my Ibanez prestige's don't usually have any issues. ;\ I'm just at a loss and I know my problem is so simple. I've even called ibanez and they are sorta at a loss... THIS IS A STOCK CONFIGURATION....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Listen when I use the whammy bar with everything setup perfectly.. Mt strings are going out of tune. Never had this with 9's so is going back to 9's my best bet?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:11 PM

Plenty of folk use 10-46 standard so they shouldn't be the problem. You said the guitar came stock with 9-42, yes? You also mentioned you spent time setting the guitar up. So usually when you switch to a higher gauge string you would/may need to adjust the trem springs claw, bridge height and truss rod. Once this is all done and the strings have settled, i.e. stretched, you might find the trem feeling 'stiffer' but it should react the same as having a set of 9's on. Did you adjust any, some or all of the above? Have you let the strings stretch properly? Also, if this sounds at all patronising I don't mean it to be, I'm just trying to see what you've tried and narrowing down the possibilities. Cheers
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Yes all of those things. I'm so OCD I need everything and checked it twice. The only other more subjective thing is how I stretched the strings. How would you go about that. A link to a good youtube might be good? At any rate nothing will be damaged changing back to 9s?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:12 AM

Nothing will be damaged going back to 9s but you'll have to go back through the whole set-up again. If you like the feel of the new string gauge I would persevere for a day or two and try not to get too hung up on the hassle of it all. I understand the OCD-ism but don't panic matey.
Personally when I dick about with new strings I tend to over tune them by half a step for a little while, push the trem back a little (or pull up on the trem if that makes more sense) and then retune to standard. This works for me very well but I know there's a heap of different ways to stretch the strings and none are particularly wrong, but just for the knowledge of this thread, how did you stretch the strings?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:28 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

changing from 9 to 10s takes a few day process actually I've found because you need to set the trem claw springs and these take time to find neutral while changing the trem angle. Also you need to adjust the trussrod (more string tension w/ 10s). Of course with 10s you'll get less flutter, etc.

if you want great tone (reason for 10s?) lose the double-locking trem and basswood body axe and dimarzios. Either way Tony Iommi plays 8s FWIW (and 9s for C# tuning) so i would't get too hung up on string gauges myself.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

I wanted to go to 10s for a lot of reasons tone was one, also I heard all you have to do with 10s is go straight from standard tuning to drop D with this string change or any of that. It just seems like a good idea given a lot of music I play requires 10s for the drop tuning. As far as basswood... Tone Woods are preference.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:36 AM

Changing string gauge should include:
- Checking if truss rod adjustment is needed.
- Checking bridge height, adjusting bridge posts if needed (and lock the small screws inside the trem posts!!!)
- Adjust trem springs
- Adjust intonation
And I am sure I might forget a few things....
Running 10's for years without issues on my RG550.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Btw the I did a full setup!!!! Everything! Truss rod adjustment, Bridge/ Action/ Spring claw... Lowed pickings just a bit because I lowed action.. I mean everything. I've set plenty of guitars up (More of my own then others and had 0 problem... Until now. Any other thoughts? I'm thinking its the string stretching thing I've always gone over each string with a pease of carbboard like an empty match box or paper towl and cleaned/stretched the strings like that?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Full setup was done including truss rod, action, stretching strings, intonation, everything I could think of. Please someone add some thoughts to all this if anyone has any to add :\ thanks guys
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 04:56 PM

Did you lock the little set screw in the bottom of the main tremolo screws/posts?

Tags
ibanez prestige rg655

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode