brand new RG1570, quality problems - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
brand new RG1570, quality problems

Hi guys,

First real post on this forum but I've reading/lurking for about a year or so, when I started thinking about buying a new Ibanez. I've been stolen my first Ibanez, a 3120, a few years ago, and since then I've always felt the need for another Ibanez! So I finally took the plunge and ordered a 1570, a somehow different animal (pickup config, woods...) but a MIJ Prestige with the fast neck, high-quality bridge and all.

So I got the guitar yesterday. 2008 production... but boy, what happened at the factory? First, the bridge knive on the low-E side was sitting against the top straight part of the post, about 1/16" from the edge of the post and on the verge of popping out! In fear of it actually popping out, I had to push the bridge back down in place. The Cosmo finish is scrapped off the post on about 3/16" (not good for oxydation/rust), and I fear the knive edge might be damaged. As well, some of the plating chipped off and got stuck in the V groove on the high-E-side post due to the knive tilting because of the bridge being jacked up on the other side.

Also there are about 10-15 small white/light gray spots that seem to be missing paint, on the top edge in the jack area and around the back plate.
And lastly, there is about a dozen small straight white marks on the fretboard, spread on an area spanning 3 frets (missing stain?).

What I find odd, is that close inspection shows absolutely no sign of the guitar being ever played. No pick marks, not even a single fingerprint except from me handling it.

I never returned a guitar before, let alone to a mail-order/online store; do you guys think this falls under warranty and qualify for an RMA? I think it does, but I don't want to send back the guitar only to find out the store charges back the return shipping cost and re-stocking on me because they conclude to a regular non-warranty return.

Last question. I really like the 1570, the specs, neck, color and all, and I plan to exchange it for the exact same model; but I wonder: are these problems common nowadays? I'm kinda perplexed. My 3020 (circa 1999) sure didn't exhibit that sort of problems.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
markiv2290 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:23 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, UK
Posts: 469
Reviews: 15
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

Can't comment on the paint issues without seeing some pics but the bridge being out of its groove has happened in transit, not in the factory. Someone put strings on it and tuned it, remember.
MarkE is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 508
Reviews: 7
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

Where did you order the guitar from?
Timbaline is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

I bought it from FM.

I'm definitely not a pro setup technician but, honestly, I just can't figure how the knive could have "jumped" out of its place. I mean, with the string tension pulling the knive towards the post, how could the bridge back off 1/8" to clear the kive out of the V groove?

Also, now that the bridge is back in place, from the bottom of the guitar looking towards the neck I see the bridge is not parallel to the body from the low-E side to the high-E side. By that I mean the low-E side knife insert rib (which I look at from the side of the trem) is at the right height, but the high-E side sinks about 1/8 lower inside the trem cavity. These are screw posts, so either something went wrong with the setup or the high-E side post screwed itself down a few more turns
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0434.jpg (8.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0455.jpg (15.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0448.jpg (12.9 KB, 1 views)
markiv2290 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:33 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Urbana, IL
Posts: 1,676
Reviews: 1
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv2290 View Post
Also there are about 10-15 small white/light gray spots that seem to be missing paint, on the top edge in the jack area and around the back plate.
From the pic, those don't look like much to me but it's your guitar.

Quote:
And lastly, there is about a dozen small straight white marks on the fretboard, spread on an area spanning 3 frets (missing stain?).
They typically don't "stain" rosewood fingerboards. More than likely that just some residual polishing/buffing compound or something like that. I'd bet if you oiled the fingerboard (which one should do with any new guitar that has a rosewood or ebony fretboard) those white marks will disappear.

The knife edge thing probably happened in transit.

The question you really need answered is was the guitar inspected prior to be packed for shipping? Personally, I only order from on-line vendors that specifically offer this service and advertise it on their site.

IMHO, based upon selling instruments for a living for 12 yrs., none of these issues would fall under warranty because there are no defects in materials or workmanship that I can see from the pics you posted. Even if something does fall under warranty, shipping costs are not covered under warranty so you'll be paying for that.

If you are really that displeased with the instrument then you should contact the dealer you purchased it from to come to some kind of resolution.
toneboy is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
From the pic, those don't look like much to me but it's your guitar.
The marks on the body were hard to get on camera, but they are clearly visible in person, they are white so its quite a contrast on the very dark paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
They typically don't "stain" rosewood fingerboards. More than likely that just some residual polishing/buffing compound or something like that. I'd bet if you oiled the fingerboard (which one should do with any new guitar that has a rosewood or ebony fretboard) those white marks will disappear.
That's what I thought initially, and I tried to rub them off but alas, the marks just wouldn't come off. Didn't spend much time on these though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
The knife edge thing probably happened in transit.

The question you really need answered is was the guitar inspected prior to be packed for shipping? Personally, I only order from on-line vendors that specifically offer this service and advertise it on their site.

IMHO, based upon selling instruments for a living for 12 yrs., none of these issues would fall under warranty because there are no defects in materials or workmanship that I can see from the pics you posted. Even if something does fall under warranty, shipping costs are not covered under warranty so you'll be paying for that.

If you are really that displeased with the instrument then you should contact the dealer you purchased it from to come to some kind of resolution.
I don't know whether if they inspect instruments or not... As far as the bridge is concerned, if its in transit then the package must have been banged around real bad... surprisingly the box doesn't look like it suffered all that much.
markiv2290 is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 02:19 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Urbana, IL
Posts: 1,676
Reviews: 1
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv2290 View Post
That's what I thought initially, and I tried to rub them off but alas, the marks just wouldn't come off. Didn't spend much time on these though.
If putting ore oil on the neck doesn't get them then I would just take a soft tooth brush to it. Rosewood is not the smoothest wood. It pores and things can get into them.

Quote:
I don't know whether if they inspect instruments or not... As far as the bridge is concerned, if its in transit then the package must have been banged around real bad... surprisingly the box doesn't look like it suffered all that much.
You'd be surprised at how packages are man handled during shipping. They're not exactly handled like eggs.

Plain and simple, you need to contact the dealer to resolve this. A thread here isn't going to do that.
toneboy is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

I did contact the dealer since my last post. It's going back to be exchanged. Hope the "Brown" doesn't mess up the second one...
markiv2290 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:15 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Urbana, IL
Posts: 1,676
Reviews: 1
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv2290 View Post
I did contact the dealer since my last post. It's going back to be exchanged. Hope the "Brown" doesn't mess up the second one...
Excellent, that's good news. I've done a lot of shipping with guitars over the years and have yet and only had one minor incident so the odds are in your favor.

BTW, when you received the guitar, was it detuned (were the strings slack)? I know the bridge had shifted (which would make the strings looser than normal) but were they really loose? That's one thing some folks don't do - loosen the strings up before shipping - which is important. It takes stress of the neck so if the guitar does get banged around, at least it won't have the tension of the strings pulling on it too.
toneboy is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,619
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post

BTW, when you received the guitar, was it detuned (were the strings slack)? I know the bridge had shifted (which would make the strings looser than normal) but were they really loose? That's one thing some folks don't do - loosen the strings up before shipping - which is important. It takes stress of the neck so if the guitar does get banged around, at least it won't have the tension of the strings pulling on it too.

The reason to detune a guitar came from the older Gibson's that would snap a headstock off from shipping shock. Take the string tension off to avoid the extra pressure.

Never detune a floating bridge. You're going to make it easier for the trem to blow off the studs with shipping shock because you're reducing the amount of pressuse against it. These guitars have no issues with snapping headstocks, so all you're doing is making the buyer have to setup the guitar to where it should have been when he opened the case.
Rich is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

Upon arrival the guitar was clearly out of tune, however I can't recall exactly to what extent it was detuned before I popped the bridge back in place. But, with the knife back in its groove, the detuning was far from being even accross all 6 strings, the low-E being the most out-of wack. But strings weren't "slack" by any means.

And thanks Rich for the small bit of guitar history!
markiv2290 is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nuneaton UK
Posts: 25
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

You've got the same guitar as me and mine is perfect, no issues whatsoever, I've changed the humbuckers to an AN - TZ and they're pretty awesome TBH, hope you enjoy the 1570 as much as I do, It's a top piece of kit.
rg1570 col is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

Update: I got the replacement 1570, and I must say, this one looks flawless
Looks like more attention was put in the setup on that one, even the pickups height is about right. Can't wait to try it out tonight after the mandatory restring/retune!
markiv2290 is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:39 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: HOM CT. Chapter
Posts: 73
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The reason to detune a guitar came from the older Gibson's that would snap a headstock off from shipping shock. Take the string tension off to avoid the extra pressure.

Never detune a floating bridge. You're going to make it easier for the trem to blow off the studs with shipping shock because you're reducing the amount of pressuse against it. These guitars have no issues with snapping headstocks, so all you're doing is making the buyer have to setup the guitar to where it should have been when he opened the case.
Beat me to it, Gibson and their hot swappable headstocks were the reason for that mother's tail of guitar shipping.

De-tuning a trem guitar you are asking for that bridge to come off and slidig around your paint job.
Digital Jams is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Re: brand new RG1570, quality problems

i have an rgr 1570 that i ordered through my local dealer. i had a couple issues with it that the dealer readily addressed. its performed flawlessly for the past year. the issues you had are just more proof to me that buying before trying is not a good practice
mcavoyfam6 is offline  
Reply

Tags
prestige , quality , rg1570

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lefty RG1570 some problems.. nullsys All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 3 01-20-2008 02:16 PM
rg1570 tuning problems Force2BRW All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 7 12-17-2007 03:58 AM
Intonation Problems With RG1570. PLEASE HELP! shogun Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 20 03-29-2007 09:35 AM
Brand new RG1570 evo/paf FS Shibito Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 3 01-07-2007 04:42 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome