which bridge??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

which bridge???

ok so i have a rg320 dxqm and i need a new trem the knife blades are wore out on the studs and this this wont hold tune longer then playin a few songs...ive already changed the locking nut thinking that might be it but nope....so my question is what trem will fit in here withought any routing and im not real sure which trem it has on it now...if it helps it has the red string holders underneth for the string balls to go in...any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Re: which bridge???

Its an Edge III you have on there right now. You can typically replace those with an edge pro with no modifications.

That said, don't limit yourself. The modifications for getting any floating tremolo to fit in there are relatively minimal - you're talking a few mm of wood different between getting an OFR, Edge, Edge Pro, LoPro, Gotoh GE1996t, or even a Floyd Rose Special.

If you're willing to make that kind of modification to an instrument, its always worth doing it right - halfway houses are the kind you wanna move out of real fast.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

out of all the pics ive looked at im not sure its an edge 3 and for sum reason it wont let me upload pics from my phone the edge 3 has the red thing in the back right mine has one small red thing attached to each saddle u cant see them unless u take the back plate off....it almost looks like a LO TRS II
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Hi there!

I do have a RG320QMTG body at home and it is routed for the Edge Pro II (not Edge III) which means its a 2003-04 guitar.

It looks like yours is from that same era, same EP II trem, not bad really.
It would be naturally useful if you could post one photo showing the trem area, just to make sure.

Anyway and in either case, you can order just a spare couple of posts and the knife edge from Ibanez, no need to go for a complete, expensive trem...

Cheers, JPB
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

ive had the trem out but it doesnt have the changable blades its all one piece
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

the blade is part of the baseplate and no markings on the trem except ibanez...thats what gets me stumped
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

heres a link that showes what i have on it now http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Vendor

If you have the red string seats and the single knife plate it's an Edge Pro 2. You can direct replace with the Edge Pro but you'll still have to replace the anchors and studs to get the full benefits.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Hi again!

Aside from the old Edge / Lo Pro and even older Pro Rock'R tremolo blocks (both made in Japan), I don't think that any other Ibanez cast tremolo does state the model.

But I'm sure that yours is an EP II. The knife edge is not part of the baseplate, it's only imbedded in the lower face and held in place by 3 specific screws, plus the 6 screws holding the saddles (as it's the knife edge that has the threaded holes for them - being hardened steel they'll not strip, well thought).

Checking ibanez.com/parts it's possible to see that you'll need two 2EL2-CB posts and the knife edge which part number I was not able to find, yet.

Cheers, JPB
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks alot...ive been tryin to post sum pics to help out but its not giving me the option on my mobile so itll have to wait till i get home and upload them from the pc
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

heres a pic.of the bridge

Last edited by sinner7575; 09-11-2013 at 01:28 AM.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

hrres a better pic

Last edited by sinner7575; 05-05-2014 at 12:31 PM.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 05:17 AM

Reviews: 120

Edge Pro II. Edge Pro is a direct replacement.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Edge Pro II. Edge Pro is a direct replacement.
Hi!

Not exacly (also the reverse is impossible, by the way).
Edge Pro II baseplate is shorter than the Edge Pro's (or than any other Ibanez FR type), so it's the routing in the body, which may bring one or two fitting and intonation range problems.

Also, aside from those geometry differences (including advanced sustain block with the black, shorter springs) the EP II does have replaceable knife edge, so the only true "downgrade" from the EP is not having the string pads on the saddles.

But neither Edge or Lo Pro Edge have those pads and are very good all the same.
Those pads were included in the EP saddles also to make piezo versions easier to build using the very same saddles.

Cheers, JPB
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 AM

Reviews: 120

Really? We've had a number of people confirm that you can do this swap successfully.

Tags
tremolo bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode