Broke down and bought a Gibson SG - brand new, for $500... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Broke down and bought a Gibson SG - brand new, for $500...

Has anyone else seen the insane deals on Gibson "faded" guitars that Guitar Trader have been running the last few days? I finally broke down and ordered a brand new faded cherry SG for $499 this afternoon... These are crazy bargains for a US made set-neck guitar! Flying V's are only a few dollars more, but both models are going in and out of stock so fast that you pretty much have to be on the phone when they arrive or you're ordering against the next shipment... Here's the pic on their website:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 05:49 PM

Broke down and bought a Gibson SG

I think SG's have got to be my least favourite body style ever. But tons of people love 'em, and that is a crazy-sweet deal on a US-built guitar. How do they do it for that price? That's cheaper than Epiphones, for cryin' out loud!

I'm almost tempted to by a sunburst Epiphone Firebird VII from americanmusical.com... i don't know why, but i've totally had a thing for Les Pauls and Firebirds in the last six months or so.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 06:37 PM

The only American (mass-produced) guitar I'd ever buy is a Jackson or a Carvin. Gibson QC is way lower then it ever has been in the past.

My friend owns 10 Les Pauls, all from the 70's or earlier. He absolutely refuses to own the current ones. He also owns a guitar repair shop. That says something to me.

Actually, come to think of it, the US Hamers are quite nice too, just not my style. *
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 10:44 PM

Geez, this is an incredible deal for a REAL Gibson SG. *Granted, you could kill someone with the horns, but the SG has a distinct sound. *Jimi - You made a good choice. *Congrats. *I can't tell what kindof pickups are in there but they can't be too good. *Drop in a couple of Iommi pickups and you'll be good to go.

Polaris20, tell your friend to buy a new Historic Les Paul - he won't be sorry!!!

Gabe
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 11:17 PM

great price indeed. congrats! how about some EMG's??
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Gabe Nickelson on 9:44 pm on Mar. 21, 2002
Geez, this is an incredible deal for a REAL Gibson SG. *Granted, you could kill someone with the horns, but the SG has a distinct sound. *Jimi - You made a good choice. *Congrats. *I can't tell what kindof pickups are in there but they can't be too good. *Drop in a couple of Iommi pickups and you'll be good to go.

Polaris20, tell your friend to buy a new Historic Les Paul - he won't be sorry!!!

Gabe
A historic Gibson costs as much or more than a real vintage Gibson, at which point you might as well buy the vintage one. He generally pays $2-$3K for his when he aquires them.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 07:14 AM

Pretty cool...great deal. *My first "real" guitar was a mid-60s SG special..like this one except whammy, soapbars, and a diff pick guard. *SGs hold a special place in my heart (although the neck imbalance used to drive me crazy!).
Greg
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

This guitar is sporting a 490R and a 490T - those will probably stay in it until it's paid for, anyway... the money's not the issue, but my wife's gonna make me pay

Guys and gals on the FDP and Les Paul Forum have grabbed a number of these and the reviews are universally thumbs up! :thumbsup: *The nut and fret work is reportedly excellent, the finish is very cool (how - exactly - could you screw it up ) and the quality of the woods and hardware are top flight... Rumour has it that these are guitars they had started building for the defunct Gothic line - the Gothics failed miserably, so they were stuck with a bunch of pre-made, unfinished bodies with a moon inlay at the twelfth fret... what do they do to clear the inventory? Slap on a funky but simple finish, throw on some common chrome hardware, add a couple more moon inlays to the fretboard so its not too obvious, and throw 'em out the door at bargain basement prices...

I don't think there's a better deal out there at this price point... I mean, given a choice between this and a Tom Delonge strat or one of the thousands of Korean cookie-cutter laminates being spit out of the Cort and Samick factories, I think I'll choose... um... THIS! :biggrin:
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 07:15 PM

I just saw a couple of these at a local music store this afternoon (although at a higher price point). Not a bad deal. (If I ever got an SG, though, it would have to be a 24-fret neck & I'd put in the Iommi pickups). BTW- Do any SG's sport a 24 fret neck other than the Iommi signature model? I'd love one, but the price point is a bit steep...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 08:02 PM

Just looking at that strap button position makes me want to vomit. *lol *Although, you must admit, it does have the most upper fret access out there. *And you could easily make it a 24-fretter without any pickup relocation.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

hehehehe... Two hands31, I'm with you on the strap button, but at a measly 5 bills I think I can relocate it to the upper horn without getting too bent out of shape... I'll just be advancing the relic'ing process :biggrin:
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Jimi D on 11:10 pm on Mar. 23, 2002
hehehehe... Two hands31, I'm with you on the strap button, but at a measly 5 bills I think I can relocate it to the upper horn without getting too bent out of shape... I'll just be advancing the relic'ing process :biggrin:
Sounds fair enough to me. *:biggrin:
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 12:23 PM

SG's surprised teh he!! out of me. I picked up a custom Les Paul SG, the cream one with the 3 gold humbuckers. Oh wow, I plugged it into my Marshall and the thing just wailed. On top of it all, it plays so easily. For myself, the rock-solid Ibanez devotee, that was a shock...

Congrats!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 09:40 AM

Quote:
jippy on 8:15 pm on Mar. 23, 2002
BTW- Do any SG's sport a 24 fret neck other than the Iommi signature model? I'd love one, but the price point is a bit steep...
Yes. *The SG Supremes have 24 fret necks. *I don't like the spilt diamond inlays on the fingerboard, but at least they have '57 Classics in them, and 24 fret necks. *There is one though that you can order with P90's and I think it's only available in a sunburst finish which they call 'Fireburst'.

Gabe
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 12:28 PM

Jimi,
how many guitars a week do you buy!?!
is 'Gates' your surname?

Tags
chrome hardware , ebony board , fret access , fret neck , fret necks , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , joe perry , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , local music store , music store , strap button , sunburst finish , upper fret , upper fret access

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode