Broken trem arm? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Broken trem arm?

I was playing yesterday, and I noticed that the trem arm was becoming very loose. So I attempted to pull at out, and I bam, it's broken. Now I have a whole piece of an arm stuck in my trem. How should I go about getting it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Broken trem arm?

post a pic. Is the remaining piece sticking out of of the hole? If its sitting flush, then you're going to have to remove the trem, unscrew the arm holder and try to push it or or pull it out with some needle nose pliers.

And now, for the million dollar question........ How in the hell did you manage to break the bar??? The only fool I've seen break a bar was the dude from the chilli peppers, and he was using a strat. The bar on an Ibanez is much thicker, so I'm still astonished.

Jimmy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

All right, I got it out, but I have NO idea how I broke the bar. I'm not even a whammy abusing fellow. I was just doing a divebomb, and bam, it snapped clean right off, right above the second bushing.

Weird...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Vendor

Flip it over, unscrew the screw that holds the arm holder spring on. Use a 1.5 or 2mm allen wrenck to push the broken piece out. If you're careful you won't dislodge the spring and can just put the screw right back on.
Rich is online  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
All right, I got it out, but I have NO idea how I broke the bar. I'm not even a whammy abusing fellow. I was just doing a divebomb, and bam, it snapped clean right off, right above the second bushing.

Weird...
If it broke at the bushing you probably didn't have it pushed in all the way.
Rich is online  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:27 PM

That's always were they seem to break, at the bushing.

The metal is a cast type so they do break once in a while.

Usually from improper use or abuse.

Oh, the spring Rich is talking about isn't the same type of spring you are probably thinking of. It's more of a "L" shaped piece of metal with a loop at the end for the screw to go through.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by S-man; 02-03-2007 at 05:11 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Dee

I also broke one at the bushing in 1988. I think I did what Rich said and pushed it out with a 1.5mm allen key.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I got it out, I'm just scared to use any of my other whammy bars on this guitar

I tightened the hole per Rich's tech guide, but it's still a little too loose than I'd like it. My other RG550's seem to be fine.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 AM

this website makes some awesome stainless steel trem bars. should be virtually indestructible. i have a brushed finish one...
http://www.fretsonthenet.net/
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:05 PM

Reviews: 1

thats a cool link... the ibby trem arm... seems a nice option whenever my arm gets broken or lost... hmmm they do them in many colors...

Tags
arm holder , trem arm , whammy bars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode