Build thread: Red Strat - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Build thread: Red Strat

For a while now I've wanted to get my hands on a nice strat. Luckily I stumbled across this little beaut on Ebay:

Yes, it is a Squier, but for those of you who don't know, in the mid 80's, squier was supplied with parts by Fender, since they were still not quite situated as a company yet (or something along those lines). Years ago my good friend and business partner talked personally with Bill Schultz, who confirmed this. So, essentially what we have here is a fender guitar that says squier on the headstock.... apparently these are prized by Yngwie Malmsteen.

Anyway, when I got it, a couple friends gave me crap for getting a red strat, since red is one of those obligatory strat colors. It was at that point that i told myself if i was to own a red strat, it may as well be the reddest strat ever.

I made this mock up as an idea of what it might look like

I should also note that i will scallop the frets from 12-up, and i'm even considering throwing an older-style Jem handle in the body.

I'm putting the following pickups in:
BRIDGE: Dimarzio Super Distortion S
MIDDLE: Dimarzio Chopper
NECK: Dimarzio Fast Track 1

(needless to say they will all be red)

more updates to follow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Reviews: 15
Re: Build thread: Red Strat

I'm keeping my eye on this thread! Squiers are fun to play with. I converted my Squier(mid 90's) to a hardtail after the sustain block broke (cheap pot metal), put in a graphtech nut, and scalloped the entire neck.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Its funny that you mention the block breaking. A few weeks ago we had a guitar at the shop in for a repair... a cheaper strat copy... and the bridge block was literally disintegrating. It reminded me of the pot metal that the door handles in my old pickup were made out of... they would always snap and you'd be stuck inside!

But I digress...
I dont know if i will scallop the whole neck, but i'm definitely doing 12-up. So far i've stripped all the nitro off the neck, and am in the process of replacing the black dots with red ones.

Earlier this week, my red sperzel tuners arrived in the mail...
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Reviews: 120

Don't do the JEM handle, and not the headstock either. It wont be a Strat then.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 12:35 AM

Reviews: 11

No Jem handle. They make every guitar look stupid. Especially guitars that aren't actually Jem's.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

I want to make it clear what type of handle i'm talking about. I'm NOT talking about the monkey grip... i HATE the monkey grip... What i'm talking about is the oval handle like on the rootbeer jems

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Reviews: 13

I still dont think you should do it, i like the everything else, just not the handle.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Check it out.... RED SPRINGS!!

I guess those are going in too...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Nice guitar.

Why put all those pickups in there if what you wanted was a strat?
Great pickups but very far from stratocaster.

/Magnus
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 08:35 PM

Reviews: 15

I forgot to mention to be careful when scalloping. You really don't need to dig all that deep. I went with a Ritchie Blackmore style scallop and lost all my fret markers (they aren't too thick to begin with).
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 06:08 AM

Reviews: 13

Where did you get those red springs from, or are they just spray painted?

-Wolfram
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:44 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfRDgear View Post
For a while now I've wanted to get my hands on a nice strat. Luckily I stumbled across this little beaut on Ebay:

Yes, it is a Squier, but for those of you who don't know, in the mid 80's, squier was supplied with parts by Fender, since they were still not quite situated as a company yet (or something along those lines). Years ago my good friend and business partner talked personally with Bill Schultz, who confirmed this. So, essentially what we have here is a fender guitar that says squier on the headstock.... apparently these are prized by Yngwie Malmsteen.

Anyway, when I got it, a couple friends gave me crap for getting a red strat, since red is one of those obligatory strat colors. It was at that point that i told myself if i was to own a red strat, it may as well be the reddest strat ever.

I made this mock up as an idea of what it might look like

I should also note that i will scallop the frets from 12-up, and i'm even considering throwing an older-style Jem handle in the body.

I'm putting the following pickups in:
BRIDGE: Dimarzio Super Distortion S
MIDDLE: Dimarzio Chopper
NECK: Dimarzio Fast Track 1

(needless to say they will all be red)

more updates to follow!
yes the 80's squiers are made in japan used materials that came from California (if i have read that article about fenders correctly).. they closed the factory and move them to Japan.. the article said that the quality wasn't good in the 70's and a lot of problems have occured so thats what happened
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Where did you get those red springs from, or are they just spray painted?

-Wolfram
They are Floyd Upgrades heavy duty noiseless springs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode