Building custom guitar - need RAN Advice - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Building custom guitar - need RAN Advice

I'm thinking of building my first custom guitar through RAN however - this being my first one - I wanted to make sure I get the specifications done right.

I'm looking at having a
7 string RAN Cruiser
arched top and horn bevels
26.5" neck
reverse headstock similar to a KxK Sii-7 (not much different from a ran cruiser headstock but just straighter)

however I'm unsure of the types of wood I would need to acheive this back finish. I came accross this custom image either here or on the SS.org/forums but I can't remember where I saved it from.

Also could anyone recommend a type of fret wire for ultra low action similar to ibanez / vigier standards?

Would it be worth getting a 27" neck for Low B string tightness but have 27 frets to acheive similar a 26.5" fret width?

Now with I'm also trying to consider what top would look nicer? Should I go for a transparent white quilted maple or Sea blue green flamed top? I'm afraid the white won't go well with a natural gloss back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:37 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Building custom guitar - need RAN Advice

Ibanez uses jumbo fretwire on the Wizards. As far as the wood--you'll have to post a pic so we know what you mean.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:02 AM

Maybe it helps to know what sound your after in order to select your woods, instead of how it looks.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

apologies for not being specific enough

I'm thinking of getting RAN guitars to build me a custom RGA similar to Chris Broderick's latest LACS. Soley because he droped Ibanez and because the jackson doesn't do it for me.

My specs I'm deciding on are
- Custom RAN cruiser bevel for arm rest
- 27" scale, 27 frets
- 7 string
- reverse RAN head stock
- original floyd rose.
- aftermath 7 matched pickups

Back natural flamed maple finish - laquered

Bevel shape similar to Chris Brodericks LACS - quilted mahagony top in transparent white.

]

Original Cruiser body shape

Last edited by Trickae; 05-08-2011 at 03:33 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:07 PM

The back of the guitar you posted a pic of looks like ash to me

Tags
custom , ran guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode