Building a rg from mismatched necks/bodies - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Building a rg from mismatched necks/bodies

I have been wanting to buy a rg body from the bay, I see570,470,350,320's all over the place, so my question is if I were to buy one of those would I be able to mismatch another rg neck for this guitar build project, for example if i buy this 570 body could a rg350 neck be put in without any hassle or was there any differences in size from different years of production. All the bodies Im looking at would have the round heel and not the square one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 AM

Reviews: 13
Re: Building a rg from mismatched necks/bodies

Hi Nathan.

What is your budget? You can fit them all but some will require more modification than others.

I would not recommend putting a 350 neck with a 570 body and vice versa. Doing so will require you to fill the existing holes in the neck and redrill. If however you have the time and the skills you should be fine.

However if you want to keep it really simple, stick to:

MIJ bodies / parts with MIJ; and

MIK parts / bodies with MIK parts etc

You should then be pretty ok. The only exception to this is with Japanese Prestige necks - from what I recall they are a little wider and if not matched with a prestige body, the neck pocket will need to be widened.

I don't known about the Indo prestige necks.

You will need to consider the type of trem you would like to use too otherwise you may have to route the body.

In my opinion if you are going to do this it is only really worth it on a Japanese neck and body.

Happy to go in to more detail if you need me to. I have done this a few times....

-Wolfram

Last edited by Wolfram; 04-26-2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Typos
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Hi Nathan.

What is your budget? You can fit them all but some will require more modification than others.

I would not recommend putting a 350 neck with a 570 body and vice versa. Doing so will require you to fill the existing holes in the neck and redrill. If however you have the time and the skills you should be fine.

However if you want to keep it really simple, stick to:

MIJ bodies / parts with MIJ; and

MIK parts / bodies with MIK parts etc

You should then be pretty ok. The only exception to this is with Japanese Prestige necks - from what I recall they are a little wider and if not matched with a prestige body, the neck pocket will need to be widened.

I don't known about the Indo prestige necks.

You will need to consider the type of trem you would like to use too otherwise you may have to route the body.

In my opinion if you are going to do this it is only really worth it on a Japanese neck and body.

Happy to go in to more detail if you need me to. I have done this a few times....

-Wolfram
Great reply Wolf!!

Nathan: You need to spend a good deal of time deciding exactly what you want the guitar to be in the end. Once you do that, a little homework will put you in good shape.

One note: Prestige necks weren't widened at the heel until 2005, so there are some out there that are 56mm......... be careful to ask the seller exact questions about the neck pocket/heel or, as Wolf said, you'll be doing some modifications.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't build an entire guitar from parts. It will end up costing you way more than building an entire guitar.

I would instead start with a complete guitar and then if you want to make changes, buy the corresponding part (like a different neck) and then sell the one you already have. This will be the most budget friendly way to do this. Buying all the hardware, electronics, etc really adds up when you're buying it as parts.

You can generally find a nice RG570 with the all access neck joint in the $300-400 range. Guitar Center has a few listed in their used section. They actually have a very cool and somewhat rare RGR570 for $400 in Spokane, WA. The extra R is for reverse headstock. They have it mislabeled as an RG550.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't build an entire guitar from parts. It will end up costing you way more than building an entire guitar.

I would instead start with a complete guitar and then if you want to make changes, buy the corresponding part (like a different neck) and then sell the one you already have. This will be the most budget friendly way to do this. Buying all the hardware, electronics, etc really adds up when you're buying it as parts.

You can generally find a nice RG570 with the all access neck joint in the $300-400 range. Guitar Center has a few listed in their used section. They actually have a very cool and somewhat rare RGR570 for $400 in Spokane, WA. The extra R is for reverse headstock. They have it mislabeled as an RG550.
good point,, you might end up spending 200 or more just for a neck on the bay
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Reviews: 11

I can show you several MIJ RG's for under 300, most with hard shell cases too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode