But how can it be,it`s MIK? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Morrisville Pa
Posts: 238
But how can it be,it`s MIK?

I`d like to get opinions on the quality of Made In Korea Prestige models. I know on the average MIJ is superior to MIK but i have a S2170 that is every bit as good if not better then any MIJ guitar that i`ve ever had including a RG550,RG1570 and JS2000! Is it all in peoples minds that when they see Made In Korea on a guitar that they automatically believe it`s junk? Or is my S2170 better because it`s a Prestige and Prestige guitars are going to be made of much higher quality no matter if it`s MIJ or MIK? Someone please fill me in.
ELicari is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Morrisville Pa
Posts: 238
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

Any thoughts?
ELicari is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:25 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Jersey, United States
Posts: 206
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

It doesn't really matter what country it is made in, it matters on the quality put into the construction.

However, there is a reasoning for MIJ generally being better than MIK. Many MIJ guitars are intended for sale on the Japanese market, if they weren't exported to other countries, they would still get made, so when companies bother importing/exporting MIJ guitars, they generally wouldn't bother with the lower quality brands.

Even if not one single MIK guitar was not sold in Korea, they would still get made. Companies are taking advantage of the lower production cost. Basically they are going for the cheapest decent product they can make in most cases, so quality is balanced with cost. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, that was what Fender went for as well.
Matheau is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,565
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

If you think the 2170 is as good as a 1570 or 2000 then you're not evaluating them very well. In fact by MIJ standard the 2170 is not even a Prestige. Prestige badging is part marketing but it also denotes the "6 extra steps" that go into making the guitar feel comfortable, the board edge radiusing and fret end finishing. Neither of which I recall seeing on an MIK S.

Then you have the sticky clear they use on the necks in Korea, much less the neck carve they spray it on, pocket depth, etc. Search for the thread ranting about MIK S's, it's here.
Rich is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Morrisville Pa
Posts: 238
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you think the 2170 is as good as a 1570 or 2000 then you're not evaluating them very well. In fact by MIJ standard the 2170 is not even a Prestige. Prestige badging is part marketing but it also denotes the "6 extra steps" that go into making the guitar feel comfortable, the board edge radiusing and fret end finishing. Neither of which I recall seeing on an MIK S.

Then you have the sticky clear they use on the necks in Korea, much less the neck carve they spray it on, pocket depth, etc. Search for the thread ranting about MIK S's, it's here.
I evaluated them very well,i had them! And as far as fit,finish,fretwork,ect...the 2170 is every bit as good! The 2170 isn`t a regular cheaply made MIK guitar, you can easily see and feel the better quality that went into this guitar. Definitely worthy of the Prestige name imo!
ELicari is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,565
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

I don't agreee, so you can stop typing all the exclamation points.
Rich is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Morrisville Pa
Posts: 238
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't agreee, so you can stop typing all the exclamation points.
Good enough. Maybe i just got a special one or something but it is what it is which is great,sorry. I would let you check it out for yourself if i could then maybe you could point out something i`m missing,maybe not. But thanks for the replies.
ELicari is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,565
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

I check them out at NAMM every year, and I pointed out specifics, and told you there is a rant thread with a whole lot more specifics in it.
Rich is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:24 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rochester, NY/Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,019
Reviews: 6
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

The bottom line is a guitar can be pieced together by chimps in the woods somewhere. If you like it and think it plays good then who cares?
Jemwielder is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Morrisville Pa
Posts: 238
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I check them out at NAMM every year, and I pointed out specifics, and told you there is a rant thread with a whole lot more specifics in it.
Can you post that thread?
ELicari is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Morrisville Pa
Posts: 238
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemwielder View Post
The bottom line is a guitar can be pieced together by chimps in the woods somewhere. If you like it and think it plays good then who cares?
True.
ELicari is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,565
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

Ask S-Man where it is, he probably started it.
Rich is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Morrisville Pa
Posts: 238
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ask S-Man where it is, he probably started it.
Oh i know which one you`re talking about,i`ve seen that sorta thing happen to other brand guitars as well no big deal and that`s why it`s good to check it out first before you buy.
ELicari is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Moderator
 
elcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: chicago
Posts: 9,592
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you think the 2170 is as good as a 1570 or 2000 then you're not evaluating them very well. In fact by MIJ standard the 2170 is not even a Prestige. Prestige badging is part marketing but it also denotes the "6 extra steps" that go into making the guitar feel comfortable, the board edge radiusing and fret end finishing. Neither of which I recall seeing on an MIK S.

Then you have the sticky clear they use on the necks in Korea, much less the neck carve they spray it on, pocket depth, etc. Search for the thread ranting about MIK S's, it's here.
Why bother Rich. You had to have learned that by now.
elcid is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Morrisville Pa
Posts: 238
Re: But how can it be,it`s MIK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheau View Post
It doesn't really matter what country it is made in, it matters on the quality put into the construction.

However, there is a reasoning for MIJ generally being better than MIK. Many MIJ guitars are intended for sale on the Japanese market, if they weren't exported to other countries, they would still get made, so when companies bother importing/exporting MIJ guitars, they generally wouldn't bother with the lower quality brands.

Even if not one single MIK guitar was not sold in Korea, they would still get made. Companies are taking advantage of the lower production cost. Basically they are going for the cheapest decent product they can make in most cases, so quality is balanced with cost. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, that was what Fender went for as well.
The MIK Prestige Ibanez guitars are not cheap by any means.
ELicari is offline  
Reply

Tags
ibanez guitars , korean guitar , mij guitars , playing guitar , prestige guitar , prestige guitars

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome