Buying a guitar from the US - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Buying a guitar from the US

What's the score with buying a guitar from the USA, when living in the UK?

Say for arguments sake, I was gonna buy a guitar on the bay for 600 (Buy Now option), how much would I realistically be paying for the guitar 'all in' ? We have to pay some sort of tax on it right, how does it work, payment of the tax that is.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 09:24 PM

Re: Buying a guitar from the US

£600 for the axe, about £75 for shipping , then duty and vat and a parcel force fee which i would roughly guess on 600 to be about £150, so your total would approx £825.. i pulled an RG 20th from the states for $1000 + $150 shipping and got stung at this end for a further £135 fees, which totals around the £700 mark...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieboy View Post
600 for the axe, about 75 for shipping , then duty and vat and a parcel force fee which i would roughly guess on 600 to be about 150, so your total would approx 825.. i pulled an RG 20th from the states for $1000 + $150 shipping and got stung at this end for a further 135 fees, which totals around the 700 mark...
Cheers mate. How do they get you at this end for fees? Anyway of avoiding it or blagging it?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR570 View Post
Cheers mate. How do they get you at this end for fees? Anyway of avoiding it or blagging it?
In the good old days there was but these days it simply isn't worth the hassle.

The old trick was to mark it as a gift, but now anything over 20 gets hit with VAT.

The "new" trick was to mark the item as a manufacturers warranty replacement. However what they do now (as of about 2 months ago) is contact the sender and ask for various business Numbers (compnay Reg numbers etc) to check its legit.

Shipping from the USA for a guitar in a case Via USPS 6-10 days should cost no more than $100. Anyone asking more than that is taking the piss. I've picked up a few guitars from the US and every time it has been around 81-90 dollars to ship.

You will be hit with 17.5% VAT, About 3% for Duty, and then about 10-20 from parcel force for a release fee.

A good example was my mate who picked up a Jackson for $670 plus shipping. By the time it hit here in the UK it had cost him a total of 450. So while that 335 quid guitar looks tempting, you will have to pay more than you originally think for it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 05:54 AM

I've had a mix of success and failures in getting stuff through...

I've recently bought 2 bodies and 2 necks from the States off the bay and only got stung for 1 of the necks. Had to pay 18 - 13 customs and a 5 Parcel Force 'fee'.

In the past I've had the parcels marked as 'replacement parts', 'used', 'second hand', 'gift', 'warranty repair' and to cut a long story short it's hit and miss. Some stuff gets through, some doesn't.

If the seller sends it by DHL (don't do this if you can) you will always get stung because DHL pay any duty themselves and then get it back from you. Nothing, in my expereience anyway, gets through when DHL bring it.

USPS always seems (apart from the neck mentioned above) to get through for me...

My new tactic for a s*it load of pick ups, parts and trems I've just bought is to have them boxed up in a single box by my mate in the States and try to geth them all through as 'misc used instrument parts'. Now, if they get through I'll be getting stuff at almost 40%-60% of the UK street price. Sweet
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR570 View Post
yeah, basically whats already been said above, its hit and miss, i've got away with 2 out of 4 guitars i've bought from the US. the only way or rather the most likely way is if you can get your seller to declare it as a gift and either at a much lower value than it is or no commercial value at all.. the only down side to this is if it gets lost on route.. then your in for a mega loss.. thats life!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieboy View Post
yeah, basically whats already been said above, its hit and miss, i've got away with 2 out of 4 guitars i've bought from the US. the only way or rather the most likely way is if you can get your seller to declare it as a gift and either at a much lower value than it is or no commercial value at all.. the only down side to this is if it gets lost on route.. then your in for a mega loss.. thats life!!
Personally I'd not take this risk, but each to their own!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:20 AM

it is a risk, and to honest, even if you pay all the fees and vat you still end up saving a tidy wedge on the UK price.. its just nice to avoid paying for the tax man's holiday in italy..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 08:13 AM

Its just luck. I got my RG20th in the UK for just over £450 including shipping and fee's. I only got a £30 fee from fedex No tax or anything of the sort.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Cheers for the advice, hopefully I'll get away with it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode