Buying Internationally - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Buying Internationally

Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been discussed over and over, but I figure'd I'd just ask:

How have your experiences been buying internationally? I'm really interested in some of the Ibanez guitars not sold in the US, but I don't know if they're worth the hassle. Do you guys recommend buying from anywhere in particular?

I'd really like a Genesis RG, but that all might change once I see the 2014 US lineup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:20 PM

Re: Buying Internationally

You just need to be aware of a few fees, like:

1. Import duty

2. Tax. In canada we pay duty + provincial tax. Not sure how it works in the US

3. Conversion fee. You likely wont be paying in USD and will be charged a certain fee to convert your cash before paying, if funded through a CC i think its like 2-3%?

4. Expect to pay 100-150 for shipping.

5. Brokerage fee if using UPS can hit $80 on a $600 guitar and WAY more for others. It sucks, so please ask your shipper to use EMS (a national postal service).

6. "disbursement" fees to UPS or FedEx which are there because they technically prepay taxes for you.

Hope that helps. I buy a lot of guitars from the US and various other countries and in my experience, you can add 20-25% onto the cost of the guitar.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'm another international buyer, like Stealth says, it's a case of 'knowledge is power' if you know the taxes and fees you'll need to pay on import as well as the 'actual' conversion rates, it'll let you know whether it's worth it.

The main thing is to only buy from a truly trusted source because internationally it's hard to do anything about a problem.

When I was in Japan earlier this month, I didn't see many Genesis collection guitars left. I'd be tempted to wait and see what NAMM brings although I have no 'inside' knowledge of what that actually might be.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 09:06 PM

Also, if the guitar is worth more than 1500ish i would suggest paying the extra $50-$80 to three day it. Way safer! Otherwise it can take 3-4 weeks!!!

Tags
international , shopping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode