Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canadia
Re: Buying Internationally
You just need to be aware of a few fees, like:
1. Import duty
2. Tax. In canada we pay duty + provincial tax. Not sure how it works in the US
3. Conversion fee. You likely wont be paying in USD and will be charged a certain fee to convert your cash before paying, if funded through a CC i think its like 2-3%?
4. Expect to pay 100-150 for shipping.
5. Brokerage fee if using UPS can hit $80 on a $600 guitar and WAY more for others. It sucks, so please ask your shipper to use EMS (a national postal service).
6. "disbursement" fees to UPS or FedEx which are there because they technically prepay taxes for you.
Hope that helps. I buy a lot of guitars from the US and various other countries and in my experience, you can add 20-25% onto the cost of the guitar.