Buying my 1st electric guitar - opinions needed - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Buying my 1st electric guitar - opinions needed

I'm going to buy my first electric guitar soon and I'm planning on getting an Ibanez(of course, what else!), and I was wondering what generic series(eg RG) would be the best choice??

I'm planning on buying an RG 7 string, and I want something that would match(i know it won't come even close...) to Jems, so which guitar would be the best?? Money is not an issue, cos if I don't have it, I'll save up some very more to get what I want.

- How about that John Petgucci(spelling mistake) model or whatever that someone talked about?

- Why is the Jem 555 not worth the money??

THANK YOU for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:06 AM

Drop by your local shop that has Ibanez in stock, and try out the different models. Honestly cannot tell you which series is best for you. Try the RG's, S models, Artist, Iceman, or whichever until you find the right one for you!

As far as John Petrucci models go I can't comment cause I've never owned one, but I'm sure there nice, and the Jem555 just isn't worth it to me, cause you could easily save up another 3 to 4 hundred, and buy a decent used Jem7?? which in my opinion will definitely outperform a Jem555 any day! Plus the 555 is made in Korea, and after owning one Korean model I'll never do it again!!

Finally just take your time choosing. Trust me use good judgement, and excercise patients, and it will pay off big time! Good luck
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:59 AM

Decide on a couple of key factors like

- Fixed bridge or trem?
- Dou you need AANJ?
- What fretboard wood do you prefer?
- What pickups do you like?
- How much would you like to spend (how long are you willing to wait before you get your guitar)?

As you haven't owned an electric before it might be hard to answer these questions right away and you should therefore follow Scott 74's advice and go check out a couple of guitars in a store.

After you got your preferences decided, the list of options becomes shorter and it's easier to decide what to buy.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 07:06 AM

You also need to decide on the bigger picture. As a new guitarist, is this something you want to just try out for a bit to see if you'll stick with it, or are you already certain you will? You don't want to spend $1000 on a guitar only to discover 6 months later that you don't want to put the time into it and lose a few hundred bucks when you go to resell it. That much money represents a lot of working hours to most young people!

So, maybe a cheap model or better yet, a used guitar is in order, at least temporarily. If you know what to look for, you can get GOOD used guitars (that sold for $800-1000 10 years ago) for a couple hundred.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily stick with Ibanez. They do make some great guitars, but so do many other brands. You may end up preferring something else. Or, like many of us, end up with a few guitars - some Ibanez, and some others.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy the process; guitar can be a lot of fun.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 08:32 AM

I think your idea of a RG7 is very good, as long as it's a 7620, which you can get used on ebay for about 300-400. (And you can sell it for the same if you don't like it!). Good luck.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
The most important question in my opinion, when buying your first electric, is "how much areyou going to spend?" and for us it'd also help to know where you're from and which country you'll be buying in.

Play all the guitars you can in your price range, and maybe a couple outside it, just to know what they feel like too. Then simply get the one you like best.

Most folks here will recommend you try to obtain a guitar with the Edge or Lo-Pro edge trem and recommend you stay away from the TRS series or trems. This will probably mean avoiding anything in the "400" series or less, which includes guitars like the JS100 and the JEM555, the RG470 or the RG7420 (a lot of the 7 string guitars have a 7 as their first number but aren't any higher quality and you have to look at the second digit to deduce thier level within the range).

In preference go for a used RG550/RG570 over a new RG470 simply because the quality will be higher. Likewise if you want a 7 string guitar I'd recommend you try to find an RG7620 over an RG7420.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Well I've started playing acoustic a few months ago and now I want an electric guitar, cos I want to reproduce Steve's style and sound.

Anyway, I'm from Australia and I'm willing to save up and spend quite ALOT of money on my first electric, although I won't get a Jem or JS just yet.

I'm very interested in the RG series, and I was wondering which one of those would have the best quality.

I want good pickups, and maybe a good quality tremolo.

Thanks all.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 02:06 AM

Used rg 500 series
any of those will serve you quite well. I suggest a 520, best bang for you buck
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 01:45 PM

Fender Duo Sonic. Those things are top notch

*Disclaimer: Above statement is complete BS.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:53 PM

If it is an RG Ibanez you want , I would recommend the 570.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 07:48 PM

choices.......

I would like to say that I have owned a few different JEMs and have a 777SK. It is probably my favorite axe of the 15 that I have and play. I saw a 555BK at my local music store for $799.00 brand new and am extremely happy with it. I think it was well worth the money and keep it tuned down a half step for learning Yngwie licks. I know it is not a "real" JEM by most people's standards but I do not know why everyone gets so angry about them. It plays well, stays in tune and keeps my collection well rounded.

I highly recommend getting a used 777 or JEM7 guitar for a few reasons. A used guitar has already settled in and will be the end result of the wood aging and breaking in to it's climate. I also am more likely to play my used high quality guitars than I do the new ones as you tend to baby the newer ones. It sounds silly but is true. I purchased my 777SK for $450.00 and would have paid $800.00 for it.

Go to pawn shops and botiques and play the higher quality used instruments. You will be happier with these guitars and can save some serious money. I know that you will also be happy with any medium to upper end guitar if it is set up well. For Vai licks stick to Floyd Rose Tremelos with recessed cavities fo greater range.

As a musician you should come to love all guitars, even the ones others call junk. They all have different nuances to them and shortcomings that make them interesting. I own vintage Gretsches, Japanese and Korean Ibanezes, PRS American and Korean (the Santana SE rocks for the money usually less than $600.00) and bought a couple of the low end Steinbergers that run $350.00 and less from MusicYo.com. I am very happy with them. My JEM777SK is my favorite though. Someday I will shell out the dough for a new JEM but am happy with the older guitars.

Oh.......I record at home extensively with a Mexican Fender Duosonic and find it highly playable and recordable. Not bad for a $150.00 axe.

If you find a used mid to upper end you like spend a little extra and have a qualified tech set the guitar up for new strings and your playing style. Most people that are unhappy with their current gutars only need a set up and good intonation. I hope you have luck and feel free to e-mail me if you need extra advice and moral support. That's what this is all about.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:11 AM

Hmmm... I think I've come from a slightly different background from the guys above, so...

I'd actually suggest buying a cheap electric (Yamaha Pacifica, Squire Stratocaster, Ibanez GRX, whatever) with a crap trem and then take the trem bar out. Start practicing with a guitar that has no temptation to whammy and then, if after a while you decide the guitar as an instrument is for you, buy a much better guitar (RG5XX, Jem, Petrucci, etc.).

My reasoning? I think it's important to get to grips with the way an electric guitar handles first - it's all well and good getting one with all the bells and whistles on at the beginning, which you're not sure about and don't use properly (like I would have done). Once you have an idea about the process that is fret-melting, get a guitar with a whammy and then pratice with that. I think it would pay dividends.

That's what I think, anyway. Plus, if you hold of buying the nice guitar, you'll appreciate it more after having a cheap one. And if you can make a Squire sound like heaven, think of what you could do with a Jem?

My 5.50p

Nick
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanx for the comments.

Although I'm not experienced with an electric guitar, I would still prefer to save up some more and get a cheap/good one like a RG5xx.

Or maybe a RG6xx?

Jems are too expensive for me at the moment...

Oh well, back to practising!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 08:49 AM

Well, if you want a good quality, cheap guitar you can't go wrong with an Ibanez RG5xx series.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 12:09 PM

I would definatly buy second hand! Half the price, the previous owner's probably had it set up, the wood and truss rod will have settled down, and you wont cry when you ding it the first time, because it will already have battle damage!

Tags
edge trem , electric guitar , fixed bridge , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremelo , fretboard wood , john petrucci , john petrucci model , local music store , music store , petrucci model , pro edge , pro edge trem , squire strat , string guitars , truss rod , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode