Buying a new Ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Buying a new Ibanez?

Is it just me, or is anyone else not extremely compelled to buy a new, off the shelf Ibanez these days? Apart from the obvious reasons (such as lack of colors, finishes, no Edge tremolo, etc), it seems as if the older Ibanezes (c. pre 2000-ish) are of much better quality. Everytime I play one of these new Ibanezes (especially the ones above $800), I'm just not feeling it....It seems as if the guitars have no character or anything anymore. Am I alone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Buying a new Ibanez?

the new rg20th's are nice... comfortable and well balanced... compare to my 2550e the neck is quite different, i know that is only 1 or 2 mm but it sure feels different... i like both... but i'm having trouble setting my rg20th... dont know why, but i surely feel that...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Is it just me, or is anyone else not extremely compelled to buy a new, off the shelf Ibanez these days? Apart from the obvious reasons (such as lack of colors, finishes, no Edge tremolo, etc), it seems as if the older Ibanezes (c. pre 2000-ish) are of much better quality. Everytime I play one of these new Ibanezes (especially the ones above $800), I'm just not feeling it....It seems as if the guitars have no character or anything anymore. Am I alone?
I would agree somewhat. I bought my RG 2550e last year, and I played a 2570 in the shop that felt "off" compared to it somehow. Not bad in the slightest, good infact. But not "holy ****" good, as they all should be.

I think that if you look for it, you can still find gems within what *should* be a good line up. As the old saying goes, some are more equal than others.

I got a good one, and I'm delighted with it. I had a brief go of one of the newer ones with the Sharktooth inlays and the neck binding recently and it felt like that 2570, just off somehow. Plus the neck looks like **** IMO.

The moral of the story is look around a few guitar stores when buying. Two guitars can be part of the same batch and finished by the same person, but one can turn out to be a lemon while the other one is a cracker. I'm just lucky I got a peach and going by few prestiges I have had the opportunity to play these days, it seems to be a rare thing to get one as good as mine.

I'd say its probably my bad luck, but when a vendor is telling us they feel the quality has gone down in the prestige line in the past few years (Rich), I can't help but feel I've seen a glimpse of what we have all been hearing.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Yep, Definitely. I don't I'll be buying any more Ibanezes soon, unless there is just one that sticks out (like the '99 JS1000WH I played a few months ago; that was a good guitar).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 02:14 PM

I'm happy with my RG20th - The Edge bridge is really nice
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 PM

I'm loving my RG 20th, but to be honest, nothing else they're offering is impressing me. I'm probably going Jackson with my next purchase.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 02:30 PM

I bought one a little more than a year ago, a RG320FM (I know I know, a "cheap Korean" one xD) and let me tell you, it was far beyond any other guitar in the price range, and one thing to be noticed: mine, compared to another RG320FM from the same year (2006, 2005s had a crappy crappy trem and some crappy crappy pickups, Edge III is not trem-heaven but performs well enough and I find the new INF pickups to be quite good, at least compared to some others stock pickups) was just something else. The other one didn't felt that good and didn't even sound that good, so I'd say that it's a question of testing until you find the one that's "better" than the others...Ibanez still does wonderful guitars. Let me tell you that, even tough it's a different beast, I own a 98' S470, so I can compare to something pre 2000-ish; it sure feels that it is "better built", and the neck is amazing (favourite neck ever xD), but you still can find some neat new Ibanez guitars. Just an input...

Tags
edge bridge , edge trem , ibanez guitars , inf pickups , neck binding , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode