buzzin G string....techs wanna do some stuff - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

buzzin G string....techs wanna do some stuff

Hi, just noticed that my G is buzzing a bit, its odd, around the 1st fret for sure. A tech looked at it, since I've only had it 3 months they're going to look into it for free, plus see whats' causing the annoying grindy sound when I 'turn' the bar in place.

The thing is that the tech mentioned that maybe a burr in the saddle is causing the buzz...well, if they're going to start filing away at parts on a brand new RG2550 prestige, then I'm really concerned!

I've heard them mention this burr thing before, for causing frequent string breakage while using the bar. Well, I don't have that problem. I really don't think that filing parts on such a new guitar is wise...I'm actually beginning to question the tech department. I don't want some tech doing this if he 'thinks' it's the problem.

But they seem to be the only ones willing to touch a floyd rose!...lots of shops just say, no thanks.

Any input guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Re: buzzin G string....techs wanna do some stuff

...hmm, no inputs...I guess I'll trust their judgement. I just don't want to take chances with my main guitar.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:14 PM

If the string is breaking at the bridge alot more likely than not it's a burr, I don;t think that would cause the buzzing though.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

...that's just what I was thinking. When some kid behind the desk at the guitar shop starts talking about burrs in the saddle for causing string buzz, I question his experience. But I'm sure it's a lot like car repair....who knows what the hell they'll do behind closed doors? And at fifty bucks an hour, the price is almost the same. I don't know what I'm gonna do at this point, but now the guitar has 2 points against it...this buzzing, and the annoying sound the bar makes when spun (which still hasn't gone away after many MANY hours of use).

But I still love the playability of the thing and it looks and sounds great. RG2550E, by the way.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:09 PM

Easy way to check whether it's a bridge saddle is to swap say the G for the B saddle - if the problem moves to the B string - it's the saddle, if it doesn't, well, it ain't the saddle. Sometimes if you're lucky the problem just disappears altogether when you try something like this (and, well, sometimes it doesn't!) - from memory the saddles are all interchangeable as it is the baseplate which is shimmed to match the fingerboard radius, not the individual saddle height. - oh, BTW, maybe a small amount of graphite powder on the trem arm bushes might stop the noise?

Cheers

David
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 07:11 PM

The grindy sound is normal, just put some grease inside. As for the buzz, I don't see how it is cause by a "burr". Are the strings old? Try changing them and see.

Tags
fingerboard radius , floyd rose , guitar shop , string breakage , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode