Calling all Double-EDGE owners... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Calling all Double-EDGE owners...

Fellow Double Edge owners,

A month or so ago, I bought a RG2020XTB. I LOVE it, but because I was unable to blend the piezos with the mag pickups, I performed the JemSite certified 'KJG Mod' to it (see KJG MOD ). I am now able to blend the piezos and Mags, which is too cool! Now the problem...I then noticed that when I was just using the piezos, that I could hear some bleed over into the mag output into my amp. The noise gate was opening, even when the drummer would hit a drum. I was about to undo the mod, when I purchased my second Double Edge equipped guitar, a S2020XAV! I took it to practice and noticed that it has the same problem BEFORE doing any mods to it. So it is not an issue with the mod, but with the Double Edge circuitry. The problem occurs using either two separate mono cords, or a Y-cord into a stereo into a Y-cord and to my separate amps.

Have any of you noticed this problem? I can't have the only two guitars in the world with this problem. And, our band doesn't play that loud. It's probably not a big enough problem to be that concerned. It's just a little (a lot) annoying.

Please respond,
- Joe
Oracle, Cleveland-based Progressive Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 07:38 PM

I've never had any trouble with bleed on my RG2027.

I wish all my guitars sounded EXACTLY like it does...

ryan
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 07:48 PM

Hey Joe! (Hendrix reference)

I'm glad to hear my mod is workin' out for ya. I tried for about 30 minutes to duplicate your problem, but I couldn't. I tried it both "mono" and "stereo" modes (button up/down) and individually with each jack. I'm running clean into a 320W Rivera TBR-2. With the volume at 3, all I heard was the piezos. My neighbors, on the other hand, heard some jagoff tapping pickups and strumming chords that don't really work well together. LOL

I also ran each output to it's own channel on my MD-8. They were each noisless when cranked (if that makes sense).

My suggestion: double-check the cables you're using. Also, it seems that it would take some SERIOUS volume to get the mag's to kick in. Unlike magnetic pickups (which work off of magnetic fields), the piezos work off of actual physical pressure and the resulting vibrations. I tried to get my CST to "feed thru", but couldn't make it happen (but I did hear my neighbors clapping when I powered down). Maybe take a step back from the mains (or monitors) and check the results.

Let me know the configuration you're using (button and switch position) when you encounter the mag. pickups comin' thru (Ken Burtch reference).
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 08:15 AM

I cant duplicate the problem either on my CST.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Kevan,

The config I'm using when I notice the problem is with the button UP, and I'm just using the piezos into a separate preamp. I then hear noise coming through my Johnson 150 Millennium that I use for the mags. Like I said earlier, this is happening with both the RG2020xtb and the S2020xav. And, it happens with two separate mono cords, or a stereo cord with a 'Y' adapter at each end. Makes no difference. Just a side note,...I do play at a semi-high volume level.

I'm headed to the studio now and I'm going to experiement when I get there. I'll let you guys know if I find something new... I'm going to see if I notice it when I'm alone,...or it's just when the rest of the boys are turned on and UP!

Later,
Joe
http://www.oraclemusic.org

Tags
equipped guitar , magnetic pickups , rivera tbr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode