Calling all JS/radius experts - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Calling all JS/radius experts

Hopefully also Rich will see this one.

I'm a huge fan of the old Radius design, which most people know from the JS models (I came to know them from the js models obviously). The one thing that puzzles me, the JS bodies (until the 24 fretters) seem to be modeled after the '90s version of the Radius design. The radius line was sold until 93 if i'm not mistaken, and I have a 1992 model, which is MUCH MORE REFINED than the earlier ones.

The body is slimmer, the horns are less "bulky" and the curves are much more harmonious, the lower horn is considerably slimmer and the edges of the body, both where the arm rests and where the cable goes in, are slimmer. In the js the jack is recessed (better design) but I'm assuming that could work also on the '92 radius design (since the jack is there anyways and there is plenty of space).

Now, is there anyone else that noticed the difference? Maybe Ashbass?

See here some samples:
1990 fat

1991 fat

1998 fat, JS model using the same body shape

Finally, the 1992 Radius, slimmer and sexier. Check out the lower horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Vendor

Re: Calling all JS/radius experts

The Radius changed because of the JS, not the other way around. There was also to change to AANJ right before it died.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The Radius changed because of the JS, not the other way around. There was also to change to AANJ right before it died.
Rich,
thanks for the answer. So you say that the Radius design had to be changed not to be exactly alike the JS?
Would make perfect sense, but my feeling is that the design of 89-90 Radius and all JS is not as polished as the later Radius.
Of course this is just MY feeling, but would like to hear your opinion (I'm assuming you saw more than just three radius guitars...unlike me).
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Vendor

The radius changed to be more like the JS. You didn't show any pictures of the early R's.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The radius changed to be more like the JS. You didn't show any pictures of the early R's.
I see what you mean, the 87 lower horn is quite different.

what I mean is that, at least to what I noticed, is that there was another design change, take a look at my red one.

I read your explanations in other threads (thanks for sharing the knowledge btw) as to the fact that R/JS shared the same body shape to make use of economies of scale, but the red one I have is CONSIDERABLY different than the JS ones I have, even with large amount of sanding I don't think they came from the same routing.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Vendor

They're all hand finished on a drum sander, so they all vary a little. There may have been some change with the AANJ model because of the way it configured with the neck joint.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:50 PM

There some discussion of them here:

http://www.dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/

Click where it says Guitars and scroll down. Good picture of an '87 on there.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 07:43 PM

I have a '93 radius with the AANJ if you need any pictures. It does feel thinner and more like a JS to me than the older ones.

Come to think of it I think I may have one from every year they made the radius (except maybe '92)...including the '93 AANJ, and a rare one with a maple board (an '88 i think). Let me know if you need me to compare anything.

Last edited by pwsusi; 08-28-2014 at 08:15 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

If you could post some hd pics of yours that would be perfect! Possibly lay them upright like the pics from this page, so we could compare the differences.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
If you could post some hd pics of yours that would be perfect! Possibly lay them upright like the pics from this page, so we could compare the differences.
Here you go...

'87 540R Red Burst

'88 540R Jewel Blue

'89 540R Jewel Red

'90 540RHH Jewel Blue

'91 540RLTD Black

Last edited by pwsusi; 08-31-2014 at 09:57 AM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 09:09 AM

(continued...because there is a limit of 10 pictures per post)

'93 540RLTD Jewel Blue

'08 JS1200 CA Red

Last edited by pwsusi; 08-31-2014 at 09:58 AM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!
check the corner of the neck hb and where the lower shoulder is. It's apparent that there is some difference over the models (manual sanding?) but in the JS, the lower horn is not as deep...not even close!

Also, take a look at the black and blue one from 91/93, can you tell a difference in the thickness of the lower horn compared to the earlier 89/90 models? the 87 is obviously different so I won't compare.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 AM

The AANJ one is super cool. It's unfortunate (to me at least) that they went to a Wizard neck when they did that.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 11:41 AM

The way I've pieced it together is that the Radius '87 started the journey. That guitar is very noticeably chunkier, thicker, chubbier than later 540R's. I've read that the JS was based on the 540R but different in that it was slimmed down and the lower cutout deepened. The JS then was based on the 87 style 540R. Compare the JS to the 87 540R below. But then the 88 version of the 540R came out. This guitar was even more slimmed down than the JS and had an even deeper lower cutout. The 88 style is the one I prefer. The JS is not based on the 88 style.

In 92-ish the body shape of the 88 style 540R changed to mirror the JS, and the 540R vanished.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 09:57 PM

Enough w/all the Radius pics. You guys are going to get me in trouble ;o) By the way I've always wondered why the Radius series never came back. Is it because Ibanez is worried it's going to eat away from JS sales if they were to bring them back? I doubt it I mean look at how well the RG line has done and the JEM is still around today. Just dumbfounds me the series just died. They are awesome guitars w/quality parts.

Tags
ibanez js , radius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode