Calling help from all Les Paul brethren !!!!!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Question Calling help from all Les Paul brethren !!!!!!!

I am currently undergoing a deal discussed on a local craigslist-like site where I live, and have this up as an ad:

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...rades_17481355

I recently got an offer to trade, my Jackson DKMGT, for this:

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...clone_17473140

My question is, does the les paul seem authentic to you guys? I asked him about it, as I was skeptical, and he says it is from a Japanese custom luthier ("Dragon customs"?), and is a copy of a Gibson Custom (the 4000$ ones). The guitar apparently has equal specs, weight, and pickups as the custom les pauls. Does this look sketchy to you guys? Any input is greatly appreciated!

EXTRA: Here is what he sent me when I asked about the guitar:

"Guitar was made in japan,thats why its not $4000...lol..all the specs are the same as the gibson les paul custom same weight thickness size,
i got the guitar off a guy in vancouver for a trade we made a year ago.
being its a clone of the real deal thats why you dont pay 4 times the price,
most people that see the guitar like it for its look,and the idea its not $4000 plus tax....lol
but looks so close,its like a jackson made in japan to a usa made jackson.
the guitar was ordered from some place called dragon customs i think..?
i got it because it looks cool with my real customs...but if you like i can sell you a USA Gibson Custom for $4000 and no tax..
i will add some pics so you can see the difference..remember it is a copy ,like ESP does ltd ..
you can look at it this way people buy clone copies because they dont want a cheep gibson epiphone that doesnt look like a les paul and you would pay $1000.
hope that helps...cheers"

PICS:

Once again, it looks pretty decent, however I cant make any educated claim as I have no experience with copies.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:58 PM

Re: Calling help from all Les Paul brethren !!!!!!!

DON"T DO IT!!!!

That is a POS knockoff. I won't even touch these in my shop, they get refused right on spot. You need to call the cops on the douche bag, he obviously knows what he has and is mis representing it to you. That thing cost him $200, and its not even worth that.

In fact, whats his info? PM it to me please.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 PM

Oh, you're a canook, never mind. Still, screw that guy. Its a chinese POS FAKE!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
DON"T DO IT!!!!

That is a POS knockoff. I won't even touch these in my shop, they get refused right on spot. You need to call the cops on the douche bag, he obviously knows what he has and is mis representing it to you. That thing cost him $200, and its not even worth that.

In fact, whats his info? PM it to me please.
woah, how do you know what it is? Are you 100% sure? do you have any referral to where I can see it?? I have his email, but why do you want to know?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Reviews: 6

I've dealt with this guy before. He's usually straight up. It looks pretty fake to me. mean, it might be a good trade, but he's definitely making stuff up. It's weird, he' sold a few weird cheap guitars, but he also sells a lot of high end ESP, Gibson stuff. He has a wicked collection. Lots of limited numbered Gibsons and nice ESP standards and custom. He makes a lot of money and he has an addiction to buying and selling stuff. he gets bored really easy. Most of the used guitars at the long and mcquade in victoria belong to him. John Graves sold him an ESP FR-II to him and he sold it to me. John was like ''He bugged me for it for months and i reluctantly sold it to him. Now, less than a month later, he sold it again'' lol no wonder he didnt go to L&M to trade it in hehe
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
I've dealt with this guy before. He's usually straight up. It looks pretty fake to me. mean, it might be a good trade, but he's definitely making stuff up. It's weird, he' sold a few weird cheap guitars, but he also sells a lot of high end ESP, Gibson stuff. He has a wicked collection. Lots of limited numbered Gibsons and nice ESP standards and custom. He makes a lot of money and he has an addiction to buying and selling stuff. he gets bored really easy. Most of the used guitars at the long and mcquade in victoria belong to him. John Graves sold him an ESP FR-II to him and he sold it to me. John was like ''He bugged me for it for months and i reluctantly sold it to him. Now, less than a month later, he sold it again'' lol no wonder he didnt go to L&M to trade it in hehe

Hmm... I know it is a fake, but the factor that matters to me is, if it is a chibson, or an actual good quality copy that was actually made in japan. What do you think?

He says that he could bring a real gibson custom along with this fake to show me how good of quality it is. Are china fakes that good of quality too?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:41 PM

Reviews: 6

I don't know I've never played one. Luckily for you, you're not taking a shot in the dark and you get to try it before you make up your mind. Crap guitar or not, he's a nice guy and it's worth the shot. He won't jack your guitar. I wouldn't steer ya in the wrong. I wouldn't expect much, but then again the DKMGT's aren't that special and are easy to find at 300-350. I wouldn't trade it for a ****ty playing guitar, but i wouldnt be worried about regretting it because at any given time, there is always 1 or 2 Pro series Jacksons floating about on Usedvic and usually under 400 hehe.

It's your call. If you go meet him, check out his truck. Dude's got a sweet ride lol
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I agree--stay very far away from this!
While he was honest about it being a "custom," he's really throwing some good fluff in there too, and seems fairly uneducated in guitars.
He's trying really hard to get you to bite on a knock-off.
I love how he threw in there, "remember it is a copy ,like ESP does ltd." LTDs are not "copies," they're made by ESP and just lower-end versions of their top models.
Funny--did that "custom luthier" also make that case? Looks just like a Chinese counterfeit case!

Dude--save yourself the trouble and just pass on it.
Also--look through the Trade Tang site, iOffer, and those other places that have tons of knock-offs listed. Chances are--you'll find one just like it.

This just in--look what I found:

http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/ne...9-2555622.html

Just take a good look through this preset search I did for you:

http://www.tradetang.com/wholesale+purple_c220507.html

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 06-08-2012 at 11:07 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I agree--stay very far away from this!
While he was honest about it being a "custom," he's really throwing some good fluff in there too, and seems fairly uneducated in guitars.
He's trying really hard to get you to bite on a knock-off.
I love how he threw in there, "remember it is a copy ,like ESP does ltd." LTDs are not "copies," they're made by ESP and just lower-end versions of their top models.
Funny--did that "custom luthier" also make that case? Looks just like a Chinese counterfeit case!

Dude--save yourself the trouble and just pass on it.
Also--look through the Trade Tang site, iOffer, and those other places that have tons of knock-offs listed. Chances are--you'll find one just like it.

This just in--look what I found:

http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/ne...9-2555622.html

Just take a good look through this preset search I did for you:

http://www.tradetang.com/wholesale+purple_c220507.html

hmm yes, very good find, but however, what about the fretboard and also the pickguard is an addition in yours
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by shono View Post
hmm yes, very good find, but however, what about the fretboard and also the pickguard is an addition in yours
Sure--my reply was just an example of the PLETHORA of knock-offs out there.

Are those inlays real, or decals?
Could the Pickguards have been replaced?

There are tons of fakes--some of them even stray a bit from the copied original.

Go look at those sites for Jemsite. While you'll see the common Chibanez 7VWH--you'll also find Chibanez Jemsite with looks never found on teal Jemsite. How about the clear acrylic Chibanez, red sparkle, red floral, etc?

You did the right thing! Your gut instinct gave you enough of a knot to ask us about it, and most of us think it's not a good idea.

It's your deal, but I think that if you go through with it--you'll be very disappointed.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Sure--my reply was just an example of the PLETHORA of knock-offs out there.

Are those inlays real, or decals?
Could the Pickguards have been replaced?

There are tons of fakes--some of them even stray a bit from the copied original.

Go look at those sites for Jemsite. While you'll see the common Chibanez 7VWH--you'll also find Chibanez Jemsite with looks never found on teal Jemsite. How about the clear acrylic Chibanez, red sparkle, red floral, etc?

You did the right thing! Your gut instinct gave you enough of a knot to ask us about it, and most of us think it's not a good idea.

It's your deal, but I think that if you go through with it--you'll be very disappointed.

Those are inlays, but hey, I think I will follow your advice. thank you sir.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:30 AM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
100% Correct.

Everything said above is true. Now, not all "chibsons" are POSs, but they certainly are cheap. They retail about $250-350 before import tax here. Some are made of real mahogany and maple, but some are just made out of basswood. Inferior cuts of wood and bad paint and scarfjoints. Junky electronics and awful fretwork. They are workable guitars, but they are by no means Gibsons or Gibson quality anything, and by no means "custom shop" anything. Anything short of straight up calling it a half-youknowwhat Chinese copy of the real deal is a misrepresentation. $400 for the pair would be a fair offer, and you would still be stuck with bad fretwork, crappy electronics and fake Gibsons.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:09 AM

Not only is that thing a fake, but a blind guy could see it from space. The headstock is mis-shaped, the split diamond is too small, and the Tune-o-matic looks too close to the bridge pickup when you look at the 2 guitars side by side. I bet it doesn't even intonate right.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:28 AM

I've handled quite a few of these through friends and trade offers and that is defo a mass produced chinese fake . They actualy do look great , a little too great . And thats the trick to hook you .
You will have to do boat-loads of work to get it to do anything other than look good and all the things you do do will start escalating the cost .
I only kept one of these , a Flying V Gibbo copy and spent about £400 making it a decent guitar and thats with me doing all the work so if you add luthier costs to that you could more than double that .

Your call but I would advise against it.

Al.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Not only is that thing a fake, but a blind guy could see it from space. The headstock is mis-shaped, the split diamond is too small, and the Tune-o-matic looks too close to the bridge pickup when you look at the 2 guitars side by side. I bet it doesn't even intonate right.
And Cid is right , every thing usually has to be taken off and reset and replaced

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode