Can anyone help to identify this RG? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By DeeJayK
  • 1 Post By DeeJayK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone help to identify this RG?

Hi folks,

back in 1996 or 1997 I purchased this guitar. Unfortunately I forgot which RG I bought back than. You can find images of the instrument attached to this post. I already contacted Meinl Music, the Ibanez distributor for Germany and Austria, however, they were not able to identify the guitar.

So this is somehow my last resort to figure this out

best regards and thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ibanez_rg_001.jpg (1.78 MB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg ibanez_rg_002.jpg (906.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg ibanez_rg_004.jpg (366.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg ibanez_rg_003.jpg (374.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ibanez_rg_005.jpg (401.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ibanez_rg_006.jpg (915.1 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 03:16 PM

Re: Can anyone help to identify this RG?

Nice guitar! Looks very beautiful.

Take off the neck. The stamp in the pocket reveals the secret.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:12 PM

Interesting guitar. I believe it's a RG542AH with an amber finish.

These were limited edition guitars sold only in Europe. Not one you see every day. In fact, this is the first time I've seen one in this color even in a photograph.

Catalog
jono likes this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:48 PM

The Ibanez wiki entry says it has an edge, but that's clearly a Lo-pro, wiki error?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
The Ibanez wiki entry says it has an edge, but that's clearly a Lo-pro, wiki error?
Hard to say for sure, especially with a low production model like this. The catalog shows it and lists this model with an Edge. Could be several explanations: production change between catalog printing and delivery, some examples delivered with a Lo-Pro, trem was swapped somewhere along the line, etc.

In the absence of other evidence, the wiki tends to lean toward reliable documentation (catalogs, web product listings, etc.).
jono likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayK View Post
Hard to say for sure, especially with a low production model like this. The catalog shows it and lists this model with an Edge. Could be several explanations: production change between catalog printing and delivery, some examples delivered with a Lo-Pro, trem was swapped somewhere along the line, etc.

In the absence of other evidence, the wiki tends to lean toward reliable documentation (catalogs, web product listings, etc.).
The same thing happened with the JS90, some versions shipped with the Edge and some with a Lo-Pro, my menory is such that we never found out the reason why on that. It didn't seem to be region specific so maybe a deliberate, or a necessary switch half way through the run?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
The same thing happened with the JS90, some versions shipped with the Edge and some with a Lo-Pro, my menory is such that we never found out the reason why on that. It didn't seem to be region specific so maybe a deliberate, or a necessary switch half way through the run?
Yeah, there's tons of examples of things like that. Every time you think you have something completely nailed down and figured out, Ibanez is sure to throw you a curve ball.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:19 PM

Actually, when you look in the catalogue photo and specification, it shows and says that Amber coloured has Lo-pro Edge and darker coloured has regular Edge. Interesting to have different spec for different colours.

But then Amber has quantum pickups, not Vs. Interesting

EDIT: I actually looked at different model next to it in the catalogue RG620BM - my bad.

Tags
ibanez rg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode