Can I ruin my UV? - Making a fixed-bridge guitar out of a UV - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Can I ruin my UV? - Making a fixed-bridge guitar out of a UV

I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but this is the forum that I visit the most.
I have a 1999 UV which I love(The binding and all fancy details), But I hate the Lo-Pro.
I was thinking of dropping a fixed bridge in this guitar.
My questions are: Can I just sculpt a Piece of basswood so that it fits in the cavity and then glue it? Do I have to remove the finish in the cavity first?
After it is repainted will you still see the corners of the piece of wood?
Can I get the Ibanez fixed bridge that they use on the RG7621? Not the one that sits on the RG7421 and AX. I could also go for a Carvin bridge, but I like to keep it authentic.
Is this a good idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 02:01 PM

Can I ruin my UV?

The uv/jem area would have been a better choice to post this thread in. Why would you want to destroy it's beauty and value, I say block the trem instead hurting your uv. If it's the neck you like you could buy a 7621 and switch necks that way you preserve value and you can switch back if you change your mind.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 02:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Can I ruin my UV?

I would simply block the bridge fixed. I think from there it will have all the benefits of a fixed bridge 7 minus ruining the UV777BK.

I don't believe doing anything else will improve the guitar and the LoPro7 as a fixed bridge will be dynamite. replacing involves many issues such as filling the body, refinishing the top, etc. Not recommended.

If you insist on a new fixed bridge, i suggest a replacement body done with the tailpiece of choice or simply a new guitar. Good luck... glen
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 02:10 PM

Can I ruin my UV?

Well, It will certainly not be authentic any more. *

However, maybe if you tried blocking the bridge by inserting a block of wood (wrapped in protective covering, of course ) between the bottom of the bridge and the top of the cavity.

Your bridge will the not float anymore and it will keep it's authenticity should you ever decide to sell it. If you wish, complement with some locking tuners.

Your other option (and probably best one) is to discuss this with a professional Luthier, whose opinion you should consider before attempting do complete such massive "renovations"!!

IMHO, do not attempt to fill the cavity and repainting (especially on such a nice guitar). Glueing is bad...very bad. Speeking as somebody who has witnessed far to many tragic Floating bridge operations, I would not change anything without professional consulting.

Hope this helps !!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Can I ruin my UV?

I allready have the bridge blocked, but I like to play around with action and intonation, and that is very hard with a floyd-rose bridge in my opinion. With a fixed bridge I would have a unique guitar though
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 03:38 PM

Can I ruin my UV?

for easier intonation/action adjustments get a intonation toolset from stewmac.com(it gives the tool for three floyd types, including the lopro and edge and also includes shims for action) for about $60
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 09:31 PM

Can I ruin my UV?

Ya know what dude. *I think *if you want a fixed bride 7 string, you're farther ahead to sell the UV (even if you like how it looks) and buy an RG with a fixed bridge. *Then with the left over UV money, upgrade the pickups, refinish it, whatever you want, then you get a guitar specifically designed for the purpose you want. *
If you fill the trem cavity, not only are you bastardizing a wicked guitar IMO, but you will have to refinish the whole thing to make it look proper, losing the binding and inlay on the body anyway and it will never be the same *as a true fixed bridge guitar. *Besides, for the amount of work it will be for something that will never be quite right anyway, it's not worth it IMO.
Just my two little pennies.
Jeremy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Can I ruin my UV?

You are probably right.
I think I'm going to learn how to setup floyd-rose bridges properly. Just to improve my setup skills.
I bought this UV because it was the only seven string I have ever seen here in Belgium, and I bought it for around 800$. Enough PRS and Les Paul Customs, but it's really hard to find seven strings here. I allready imported an RG7621 from the US but the shipping cost where very high. And trying to sell a UV here is insane.

(Edited by stoopid at 10:30 am on Feb. 23, 2001)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 03:36 PM

Can I ruin my UV?

Lets see,

Hmmm, how about if you sell ME your UV (for 800$), and then you will have enough $$$$ for a fixed bridge RG.

Now that's a deal!! :biggrin:

Maybe not :lame:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Can I ruin my UV?

hehe, I don't think so

Tags
fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , intonation tool , les paul , les paul custom , locking tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode