Can only Ibanezīs do Vaiīs wicked stuff?? - You know the wha - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Can only Ibanezīs do Vaiīs wicked stuff?? - You know the wha

Like the Audience is listening, The Animal, The Audience is listening etc. ....wait a minute all Vai's stuff is wicked!!! I know he has played his little Green Meanie too which is a Charvel but that was back in the time when he played with Alcatrazz..... So tell me, could I for an example play The Audience Is Listening with a good vibe and sound without a JEM?? Or Crush of love without a JS??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 08:37 AM

Can only Ibanezīs do Vaiīs wicked stuff??

Well, as a side note, if you're playing the Audience is Listening, you really need a UV, not a Jem! * *But to be perfectly honest, you could easily do it on a 7620. It's much more about having the technique than the guitar.

I have a few Jems (and no JS's), but I generally play Prestige RG's and JPM's and I pull Steve's & Joe's stuff off all the time. Generally speaking, a lot more of the tone comes from your amp and your playing style than from the guitar itself. As long as you have a guitar that's reasonably flexible, you can do pretty much anything with it. If it sounds good and feels good (and looks good, because we all know it's more important to look good than to feel good!), then go for it.

So far the ONLY real benefit I see to playing a Jem vs. anything else is that I can pull the trem up a little higher. And I often ask myself... how often do I really need to pull the trem up that high anyway??

--B
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Yep it's pretty much down to technique as much as anything but ,having said that, having a decent guitar helps.

There are of course some limitations where sometimes you'd need say 7 strings, or 24 frets rather than 22 the solo Ladies night in buffalo and the appearance of the pink soloist springs to mind.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, but, everything is thinner on the Ibanez, both body and neck, which must affect the tone pretty much, I know Vai has played other guitars too but that was some time ago, and Jacksons are SO ****** expensive in sweden!! Ok JEMs are to but there is one cheap import store in Norway (where I know some people). BUT the Jacksons are almost impossible to find used in Sweden. Now to our dirty prices, the SL1 costs $3500 here!!! So you could in the USA buy three soloists go to sweden, sell 2 and youīd have the third for free! Iīd LOVE to have a UV but I only have one guitar which is crap, and I couldnīt have a 7 as my main axe........
The guitar Iīd want the most would be the new guitar I saw at AboutTimeDesign, it was a 777SK with the Passion And Warfare swirl!!! Awesome! And I think the UV7BK(right?) the black one with mirror pickguard an the triangle logo on the body is NICE! Actually the Ibanez guitars I think are the coolest are the UV's.. Hmm.....maybe I can buy a RG570 now and then when Iīve got a job or some money I could buy a UV, then I wouldnīt really need a jem (yet)......

Question: Would a RG570 with DiMarzios or Seymour Duncans be a reliable guitar?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:32 AM

Reviews: 5

the differences tone wise between a soloist and an RG are negligable anyway. *Don't waste 3K on a soloist

Yes, a RG with Duncans should be fine. *If you want to get closer to Vai's sound, you can add DiMarzio pickups instead of duncans.

Additionally, Vai uses so much distortion, echo, chorus and compression that the guitar you use isn't going to make that great a difference (as long as you can play well on it)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
jem7vwh on 11:32 am on Feb. 27, 2002
the differences tone wise between a soloist and an RG are negligable anyway. *Don't waste 3K on a soloist

Yes, a RG with Duncans should be fine. *If you want to get closer to Vai's sound, you can add DiMarzio pickups instead of duncans.

Additionally, Vai uses so much distortion, echo, chorus and compression that the guitar you use isn't going to make that great a difference (as long as you can play well on it)
Hey, I just found a used RG550EX (Silver Sand grey with mirror pickguard)!!
It has a Lo-Pro Edge and a Super Wizard Neck!! I donīt know how much he wants for it yet, but if the deal is good, I may be getting it!!
Hey Itīs almost a JEM!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:29 PM

yeah I'd buy it man.
Honestly, Jems are beautiful well-playing guitars, but they're not a necessity when it comes to playing Vai's music.

On the flip side, I've played John Petrucci's guitar, and I still can't play his music, even if I'm using his guitar!!

It's the technique, amp, and close approximation of the guitar that gets you the sound.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Polaris20 on 12:29 pm on Feb. 27, 2002
yeah I'd buy it man.
Honestly, Jems are beautiful well-playing guitars, but they're not a necessity when it comes to playing Vai's music.

On the flip side, I've played John Petrucci's guitar, and I still can't play his music, even if I'm using his guitar!!

It's the technique, amp, and close approximation of the guitar that gets you the sound.
Thanks, he said he wouldnīt let it go for less than $500 so I bid $550 It MAY soon be mine :P
Now just about the neck, but thatīs a new thread
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 02:22 PM

I'd say most any 24 fret, well set-up superstrat design with plenty of trem pull-up should do the trick. It just so happens that Ibanez' are the coolest of the lot. Oh, (speaking for myself)and that new Boss talent booster pedal wouldn't hurt. :biggrin:
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 03:44 AM

I'm pretty new to this forum but I'll offer my two cents... any guitar with a good quality trem and humbuckers should work. *Hell I've heard Mike Keanally and Gary Hoey both do really good Vai approximations using Fend*r Str*ts with humbuckers. *Even Vai himself has used a lot of Jacksons and Charvels and other personally assembled guitars in his early days. *However, a neck through Jackson may be too bright sounding, *most of the Jackson guitars Vai used were bolt ons. *Though after using so many effects very little of the guitar itself will actually show through. *Also consider getting a Boss ds-1 distortion pedal, it's a great, low budget starting point for a Vai tone.

Note* The Green Meanie was still used after Alcatrazz. *He used it to record almost all of "Eat em and Smile" which happens to be my favorite Vai recording. After that I'm not sure when it was that he ripped the trem out of the body...but the Green Meanie was used to record for the Crossroads soundtrack also, though in the movie he played a red one to suit the "devil" image thing better.

Wayne Guitars (wayne charvel's company) is building a replica of the green meanie now. I think it would be a really cool guitar to have, though I haven't gotten a chance to try it.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 07:56 AM

Reviews: 5

tigerstripe is right on. *Pretty much any guitar with a humbucker, and a trem that will raise or lower pitches should be ok. *The true test is whether you can play well on it. *I know Mike Keneally can play Blue Powder on a Big Apple strat, but I cannot. *I'm just not that good. *I need flat thin neck to play that kind of stuff

FWIW, $500 is not the greatest price. *You may want to look around before you snap that one up. *I can get a NEW RG570 for $500 at Guitar Center
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Tigerstripe on 3:44 am on Mar. 2, 2002

Wayne Guitars (wayne charvel's company) is building a replica of the green meanie now. I think it would be a really cool guitar to have, though I haven't gotten a chance to try it.
I've got one....great guitar, nice feel and great tone. You should check one out.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 05:02 PM

Quote:
chromeboy on 8:48 am on Mar. 2, 2002
Quote:
Tigerstripe on 3:44 am on Mar. 2, 2002

I've got one....great guitar, nice feel and great tone. You should check one out.

really, that guitar looks awesome! What is it like? Does it sound like "Just Like Paradise" and other david lee roth stuff? *... I would love to get a chance to play one of those but I dont think there is a Wayne Guitars dealer around me. *Which Dimarzio's does it have? * They look kinda faded in the picture on the website, I was thinking if I got one I'd put a black pickguard on it and add some new neon colored dimarzios.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 08:17 PM

Tigerstripe, I think the Meanie's got PAFs in them. Actually, I ordered and just received a neon pink bridge Evolution and neon pink HS3 single coil that I'm going to have Wayne Charvel install and set up for me. :biggrin: *I think that having all pink p'ups will look sweeter, especially because of the lion's claw.

As for the playability, the guitar has great sustain and tone, and a real silky smooth neck. I play it through a Mesa Dual Rectifier, and I love the sounds I get out of it. It's not my main player though, the Ibanez necks have spoiled me!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

Re: Can only Ibanezīs do Vaiīs wicked stuff?? - You know the wha

Ok, this must be the most ridiculous thread here so far.... it's 90% musician and 10% guitar that make it... I saw Jimmy Page play an old Sears Silvertone and it sounded great... I saw Earl Slick play a Kent guitar.. sounded incredible. Get a clue people.
Closed Thread

Tags
black pickguard , david lee roth , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , distortion pedal , dual rectifier , gary hoey , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jackson guitars , john petrucci , mesa dual , mesa dual rectifier , mike keneally , playing guitar , pro edge , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , super wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode