Can someone or everyone please list the Top End Ibanez guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Question Can someone or everyone please list the Top End Ibanez guitars

As a new Ibanez fan I am trying to get the pecking order down. I guess the Jem is the top dog, but there are sooo many models I am having a little trouble knowing a great guitar from the lower end models. I like the idea of building my own axe, but not sure if the necks and bodys I see for sale are of top quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 PM

Reviews: 25
Re: Can someone or everyone please list the Top End Ibanez guitars

The Jem isnt really the Top Dog, its just the most popular model.... There are some high end J Customs that are as good if not better out there as well as prestige models....

You really need to pick up some of these and have a play...

do a search on the forum for J Custom and prestige and you can see what they look like and what owners think of them
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 03:33 AM

J-custom- Prestige and artist models(made in japan)- Prestige(korean)- Regular(korea/china)
In that order.
If you want a really nice one stick with Japanese or any of the old USA custom shop models.
80's Ibanez(jap/us) are awesome and priced well,and if you intend to build a frankenstein again use Jap models.I've had some sweet korean RGT's and truly loved them,best bit is if something happens to them they can be replaced without too much heartache,If it was my 80's Sabre's or my J-custom etc.. i would cry till i died!!!

The absolute pinnacle of quality right now is J-custom shop guitars(japanese market only,but look on ****) ,these are laser cut (no cnc) and therefore virtually perfect in every way.The best necks,frets,inlays i have ever seen,no gaps anywhere.

The other is the LA custom shop versions,but these are for artists only ! Google Chris Broderick (Megadeth) and look for pictures of his LACS RGA seven string with reversed headstock and quilt,you'll pitch a tent in ya pants!

My first post as well(after 2 years),hello all.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
J-custom- Prestige and artist models(made in japan)- Prestige(korean)- Regular(korea/china)
In that order.
If you want a really nice one stick with Japanese or any of the old USA custom shop models.
80's Ibanez(jap/us) are awesome and priced well,and if you intend to build a frankenstein again use Jap models.I've had some sweet korean RGT's and truly loved them,best bit is if something happens to them they can be replaced without too much heartache,If it was my 80's Sabre's or my J-custom etc.. i would cry till i died!!!

The absolute pinnacle of quality right now is J-custom shop guitars(japanese market only,but look on ****) ,these are laser cut (no cnc) and therefore virtually perfect in every way.The best necks,frets,inlays i have ever seen,no gaps anywhere.

The other is the LA custom shop versions,but these are for artists only ! Google Chris Broderick (Megadeth) and look for pictures of his LACS RGA seven string with reversed headstock and quilt,you'll pitch a tent in ya pants!

My first post as well(after 2 years),hello all.
USA customs fit snuggly right between J's and Japan Prestige/artist.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
USA customs fit snuggly right between J's and Japan Prestige/artist.
Yes your right on a whole ,but i was meaning the current Ibanez chain of quality.
Would be nice if there was again a range of USA customs that we mere mortals could
get our hands on.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:08 AM
Vendor

Laser cut?!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Laser cut?!
I was waiting for you Rich.lol
This was stated on a J custom factory tour that was on one of the jap dealer sites last year.
Had some awesome pics of them building them but i've lost the link and cannot find the page.
I personally assumed they were refering to the vine inlays as there are no gaps what so ever,but it was followed by the quote "no cnc machine". Obviously i trust your knowledge on such things and if its not the case,no probs.
Im constantly amazed by everything on my JC.
I wish i had saved the pics though,the fret process was quite in depth.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:25 AM
Vendor

I could see it on the inlay routs, maybe, but you weren't specific with the statement
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:42 AM

Just as a note, the model numbers are a little confusing at first, but the numbers actually just refer to the features of a particular model, since Ibanez produces a lot of variations on the same model.

For example:
RG-X50 is a front routed (with a pickguard), H-S-H guitar.
RG-X70 is a rear routed (no pickguard), H-S-H guitar.

The X depending on when it is made refers to the quality level or features. For example, a current RG-2550 and RG-1550 are probably about the same quality (in terms of body and neck, since that seems to be your interest), but the RG-2550 has some higher end features in terms of pick-ups and the bridge. They probably have slightly different bridge routing though. Meanwhile, an RG-350 is a cheap mass produced guitar that would be lower quality. Since all of them are RG-X50, all are still front routed H-S-H guitars.

It took me a little bit to get a handle on the whole numbering system.

Basically with modern Ibanez, you can consider quality levels based on:
Indonesia? (might be thinking of Jackson) > Korea > Prestige (not sure if Korea and Japan prestige are that different in terms of quality, never tried a Korean prestige) > J Custom

Most artist models seem to be equivalent to Prestige, but I think a couple are Korea manufactured based on the price.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 05:19 AM

it's very large area to determine which one is the top of theline or high end.

for some people, USA custom is still the one.
for other J customs is the one.
for the rest of the people : RG 7XX is already the top notch!!

if this is gonna be your first ibanez, then I think you should buy a brand new one.
brand new one meaning : J custom

good luck.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 AM

Materials, hardware, attention to detail... J-Custom is 2nd to none. Ibanez puts all their best stuff on the J Customs. My J Custom can get all the tones I get from all my other Ibanez (jems, Rgs) in one amazing axe. My J Custom is better built than any USA made anything I've ever played, & it plays like butter without the mess & better tone.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I was looking at this all wrong. Your opinions were very helpful to me, but my wife may want to hunt you down and kill you when I order my next guitar. Thanks again Bluesguy
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 12:19 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Laser cut?!

Tags
jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode