Can a Steinberger still be carried on an air plane? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Can a Steinberger still be carried on an air plane?

Hello,

I know that they are unlikely to allow you to carry a guitar in either softcase and hardcase on the air plane (assume that the plane is quite packed). It happened to me not long ago.

I know some of you used to carry steinberger on the air plane. I am wondering if you still can do it since they are kind of more strict in this "carry on" thing. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 08:18 AM

I used to have a Steinberger that I'd toss in the overhead luggage bin, but I haven't had it since before 9/11... I think I'd be nervous about carrying a Steinberger bag around an airport now-a-days; looks way too much like a gun-case - you'll probably be shot by some zit-faced security guard before you can explain you're a rock star
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 09:42 AM

I dont see why not, but why drag it about with you when you could it in your suitcase? I would just bung it in the suitcase, in between some clothes and things. It wouldnt get damaged, and you would only be without it on the plane, and lets face it your not gonna play on there!
Gary.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Gary, who knows... If I am bored on the plane, I might take out my stieny and play the hell out of it...

Anyway, thanks for your reply... Gary and Jimi...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:56 AM

Yes you can, I just carried mine on 3 weeks ago. You can even take a full size case if you handle it correctly and ask the crew to stow it with the coats, most of the time.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 12:45 PM

Backing the last post up, my aunty works for British airways and she said my steinberger (which is a bass so is even bigger) was fine for over head luggage, As for other guitars I tryed to get mine in the plane some where but they ended up putting it where ever they put the buggies and stuff.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks guys for your input. BTW, my steiny is GM model which is wider than GL. Is it still ok to carry on?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:32 PM

Shouldn't have any problems.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobig
BTW, my steiny is GM model which is wider than GL. Is it still ok to carry on?
Yes, since only a couple of weeks ago I took my GS Steinberger, which is almost like your GM but even has a headstock, to boot! And I had no problems.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 07:51 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by babahi
Yes, since only a couple of weeks ago I took my GS Steinberger, which is almost like your GM but even has a headstock, to boot! And I had no problems.
Yeah but keep in mind that you look like a rock star and every half awake check-in person will even let you carry a drum kit as hand luggage.

Most of us might not be so lucky and the dodgiest thing is if you have a case you severely reduce your chancess of being alowed to take it on as hand luggage but if you only have a gig bag and they don't let you take it with you, chancess are the eguitar will get damaged in all those sorting shutes.

ilia
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 06:29 AM

I don't know what are the written regulations, but I can tell you this: nobody will stop you from having your guitar on board with you. I know this because last year I took 4 planes (2 intl, 2 inside the US) with my Universe in a gigbag and had no problems at all, even considering this was on a 2 day period from 9-11 to 9-13!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode