Can you put the U-trem to a good use? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Can you put the U-trem to a good use?

I tried it the other day,
and I felt I had better control with a regular
vib-arm.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 10:26 AM

Yea, it's mainly meant for pushing the notes higher, and wiggling notes, it's not much for real trem use, but you can do some cool effects with it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 04:38 AM

actually, I think it's a pretty good idea. it keeps your heel off the fine tuners, right? It stays out of the volume knob's way, too.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

...but can you do dive's and flutters with it
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 11:01 AM

You can do dives by grabbing a string and pulling it outwards like crazy.

Flutter - just release the string you've pulled.

Also, you can get a great vibrato effect by manipulating 1 string, while letting other open ones ring and picking at the 12th fret.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straymond
...but can you do dive's and flutters with it
Is that what it's designed for? No. Until you pop the standard bar back into the trem (it comes with the K7 as well).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 12:28 AM

I've always thot it was a neat idea. Never have gotten to try one but seems like it'd be great for the little bit of whammy action i need. I wish the Edge had a bar hole on both sides, it'd be easy to make your own.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 12:26 PM

I'd prefer to describe the U-Bar as marketing toss , not really much to do with it that you can't already really. THe only cool thing I can think of is having a Stevie Ray Vaughn style trem arm in the upper hole
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 06:25 PM

If it wasnt for the crappy inlay you could be nameless and play one of these things. Korn was too associated with the fad good band or not. Kind of wiped the floor with the guitar in the end
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees
I'd prefer to describe the U-Bar as marketing toss , not really much to do with it that you can't already really. THe only cool thing I can think of is having a Stevie Ray Vaughn style trem arm in the upper hole
Why? It does exactly what they wanted it to do. It's useful. Korn's been palming the fine-tuners of their bridges for years to create the sounds they want to, and half the time it'll put the guitar out of tune, this fixes it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 12:15 AM

This ubar discussion makes me think about trying a little stubby bar on my 520. I only use whammy rarely anyhow for subtle expession, don't need or use the whole bar anyhow. Anyone else doing this or tried it? Where can a guy get a spare bar or 2?

Tags
stevie ray , stevie ray vaughn , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode