can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 149
Reviews: 1
can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

I've been playing an RG550EX for over 15 years now and would finnally like to experiance the hybe behind a 7 string.

For the style of music i play - i usually need the strings to have a little less tension - so I'd tune 10 gauges down to D or a 9 gauges down to Eb. I play alot of leads so ideally I'd like low action beyond the higher frets.

Now which guitar should do the trick?
RGD2127Z ISH
RGA 4272DSH
RG 1527Z BK /MGW/ RB

non 7's i'm looking at are
RG4570 HBK
RG3620 HBK

has anyone played the above? How does the neck compare to the RG550? Also I'm leaning towards the HBK models as they boast a thinner neck - Is there a big enough difference to choose them over other RG's?
Trickae is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:44 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sao Paulo
Posts: 317
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickae View Post
I've been playing an RG550EX for over 15 years now and would finnally like to experiance the hybe behind a 7 string.

For the style of music i play - i usually need the strings to have a little less tension - so I'd tune 10 gauges down to D or a 9 gauges down to Eb. I play alot of leads so ideally I'd like low action beyond the higher frets.

Now which guitar should do the trick?
RGD2127Z ISH
RGA 4272DSH
RG 1527Z BK /MGW/ RB

non 7's i'm looking at are
RG4570 HBK
RG3620 HBK

has anyone played the above? How does the neck compare to the RG550? Also I'm leaning towards the HBK models as they boast a thinner neck - Is there a big enough difference to choose them over other RG's?
Keep it simple. Get a blue 1527.
Melek Taus is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 797
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

The RGD2127Z is a great guitar if you can find one. However, be warned that it is factory tuned to A, I believe, which is great if you are playing in that range. It is a longer scale so you can use a lighter gauge on it and still get the same results. I like the look of the guitar overall, but I was unable to find one up here in the north. I would have like to get this axe but alas, there was none around at all and there wouldn't be any expected until late in the year.

I did pick up a new RG1527 for a steal. With the $$$ I saved, I installed Dimarzio Crunch lab and liquifire pickups in it, put in Rich's stud mod and changed out the pop in trem arm to an OFR arm and as a final piece I put in an ESP arming adjuster. I went up one string gauge in size and tuned it to A.

The guitar just smokes right now and works flawlessly!
PBGas is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 AM
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: san diego
Posts: 17
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
I did pick up a new RG1527 for a steal. With the $$$ I saved, I installed Dimarzio Crunch lab and liquifire pickups in it, put in Rich's stud mod and changed out the pop in trem arm to an OFR arm and as a final piece I put in an ESP arming adjuster. I went up one string gauge in size and tuned it to A.

The guitar just smokes right now and works flawlessly!
pic please
Mr.RG is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 05:20 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 797
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

Will do! I'm putting a pickguard on it for a different look as well.
PBGas is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 250
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
The RGD2127Z is a great guitar if you can find one. However, be warned that it is factory tuned to A, I believe, which is great if you are playing in that range. It is a longer scale so you can use a lighter gauge on it and still get the same results. I like the look of the guitar overall, but I was unable to find one up here in the north. I would have like to get this axe but alas, there was none around at all and there wouldn't be any expected until late in the year.
I would think that a longer scale will demand thicker gauge strings (10,11) since they will stretch more ?
mindwalker is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 149
Reviews: 1
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

Damn that sounds hot!

I'm also leaning towards the crunch lab + liquid fire combo. I've come accross a RG8527Z J custom that knocked my socks off - but it's a bit pricey for me. A 1527 looks like a viable option.

Now another thing is that on the ibanez website it states that
RG4570
is available in 6,7& 8 string models? I think this is meant for the prestige in general but can i get an RG4570 in a 7?

If not i might get the 1527 for the trem
Trickae is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamburg (Germany)
Posts: 26
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwalker View Post
I would think that a longer scale will demand thicker gauge strings (10,11) since they will stretch more ?
It doesn't, since it's a matter of tension.
In order to make strings of different lengths (= Scales) swing at the same frequency, you have to increase the tension on the longer string (you can try that out with rubber bands for example).
And just as you use thicker strings to have more tension while tuning down, you now use thinner strings to have less tension on longer scales.


@Trickae

Personally i'd buy a RGA7 (respectively the RGA4272DSH if you need a trem/want a high end guitar/...?) and throw in some SD Blackouts.
Clint Fastfood is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 797
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

Quote:
I've come accross a RG8527Z J custom that knocked my socks off
Wow....I would have loved to get that one for sure! However, I already have 3 J Customs and with buying a new amp this year, my budget just wasn't allowing it. I already have a onyx black JC so at least the 1527 is different being blue.

I'm in the middle of adding a cool black abalone pickguard and truss cover to it. It's going to look great! I'll post it up when done! The pickups alone really opened the guitar up, sound wise.

PBGas is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 149
Reviews: 1
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

guys, I suffered from Serious G.A.S ( lol) and got the J custom RG8527z for my first 7. Need an S next
Trickae is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 797
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

A good buy! Well done!!!!

Sounds like a beauty. I wanted to pick up a J Custom 7 but the pricing is way out of line at this point. I also already have 3 J Custom 6s and thus, I picked up the 1527 for a steal and brand new at that.

Again, when I get some time, I'll post up some pics.
PBGas is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Morokulien
Posts: 93
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickae View Post
guys, I suffered from Serious G.A.S ( lol) and got the J custom RG8527z for my first 7. Need an S next
Congrats!

Let me guess, it's a black onyx one - I see the one that Mr. Sparkle had is gone...

DJ
--
DrJustice is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: sydney, australia
Posts: 149
Reviews: 1
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

you guessed it
Trickae is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:25 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 250
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

I'm about to pull the trigger on an RG7620 in perfect condition!
mindwalker is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 182
Reviews: 1
Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

Buy my K7. ;p
Kwirk is offline  
Reply

Tags
2010 ibanez , 7 string , choosing guitars , prestige

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Prestige 7 String RGA Codyyy Comments to Ibanez 181 02-20-2014 10:55 PM
UV77MC tribute 7 string prestige jonnyboy mills All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 28 05-31-2010 04:29 PM
FS: Ibanez 8-String RG2228 Prestige (New In Box) raglor Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 01-04-2008 05:31 AM
FT: RG1527 W/Case for Prestige 6 String (UK) SpikeSocietySucks Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 03-23-2007 09:43 PM
Help me decide on 7 string pickups Koss Pickups & wiring 13 07-29-2005 12:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome