can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

I've been playing an RG550EX for over 15 years now and would finnally like to experiance the hybe behind a 7 string.

For the style of music i play - i usually need the strings to have a little less tension - so I'd tune 10 gauges down to D or a 9 gauges down to Eb. I play alot of leads so ideally I'd like low action beyond the higher frets.

Now which guitar should do the trick?
RGD2127Z ISH
RGA 4272DSH
RG 1527Z BK /MGW/ RB

non 7's i'm looking at are
RG4570 HBK
RG3620 HBK

has anyone played the above? How does the neck compare to the RG550? Also I'm leaning towards the HBK models as they boast a thinner neck - Is there a big enough difference to choose them over other RG's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:44 AM

Re: can't decide on which 7 string to buy - RG prestige only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickae View Post
I've been playing an RG550EX for over 15 years now and would finnally like to experiance the hybe behind a 7 string.

For the style of music i play - i usually need the strings to have a little less tension - so I'd tune 10 gauges down to D or a 9 gauges down to Eb. I play alot of leads so ideally I'd like low action beyond the higher frets.

Now which guitar should do the trick?
RGD2127Z ISH
RGA 4272DSH
RG 1527Z BK /MGW/ RB

non 7's i'm looking at are
RG4570 HBK
RG3620 HBK

has anyone played the above? How does the neck compare to the RG550? Also I'm leaning towards the HBK models as they boast a thinner neck - Is there a big enough difference to choose them over other RG's?
Keep it simple. Get a blue 1527.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 AM

The RGD2127Z is a great guitar if you can find one. However, be warned that it is factory tuned to A, I believe, which is great if you are playing in that range. It is a longer scale so you can use a lighter gauge on it and still get the same results. I like the look of the guitar overall, but I was unable to find one up here in the north. I would have like to get this axe but alas, there was none around at all and there wouldn't be any expected until late in the year.

I did pick up a new RG1527 for a steal. With the $$$ I saved, I installed Dimarzio Crunch lab and liquifire pickups in it, put in Rich's stud mod and changed out the pop in trem arm to an OFR arm and as a final piece I put in an ESP arming adjuster. I went up one string gauge in size and tuned it to A.

The guitar just smokes right now and works flawlessly!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
I did pick up a new RG1527 for a steal. With the $$$ I saved, I installed Dimarzio Crunch lab and liquifire pickups in it, put in Rich's stud mod and changed out the pop in trem arm to an OFR arm and as a final piece I put in an ESP arming adjuster. I went up one string gauge in size and tuned it to A.

The guitar just smokes right now and works flawlessly!
pic please
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 05:20 PM

Will do! I'm putting a pickguard on it for a different look as well.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
The RGD2127Z is a great guitar if you can find one. However, be warned that it is factory tuned to A, I believe, which is great if you are playing in that range. It is a longer scale so you can use a lighter gauge on it and still get the same results. I like the look of the guitar overall, but I was unable to find one up here in the north. I would have like to get this axe but alas, there was none around at all and there wouldn't be any expected until late in the year.
I would think that a longer scale will demand thicker gauge strings (10,11) since they will stretch more ?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Damn that sounds hot!

I'm also leaning towards the crunch lab + liquid fire combo. I've come accross a RG8527Z J custom that knocked my socks off - but it's a bit pricey for me. A 1527 looks like a viable option.

Now another thing is that on the ibanez website it states that
RG4570
is available in 6,7& 8 string models? I think this is meant for the prestige in general but can i get an RG4570 in a 7?

If not i might get the 1527 for the trem
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwalker View Post
I would think that a longer scale will demand thicker gauge strings (10,11) since they will stretch more ?
It doesn't, since it's a matter of tension.
In order to make strings of different lengths (= Scales) swing at the same frequency, you have to increase the tension on the longer string (you can try that out with rubber bands for example).
And just as you use thicker strings to have more tension while tuning down, you now use thinner strings to have less tension on longer scales.

@Trickae

Personally i'd buy a RGA7 (respectively the RGA4272DSH if you need a trem/want a high end guitar/...?) and throw in some SD Blackouts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I've come accross a RG8527Z J custom that knocked my socks off
Wow....I would have loved to get that one for sure! However, I already have 3 J Customs and with buying a new amp this year, my budget just wasn't allowing it. I already have a onyx black JC so at least the 1527 is different being blue.

I'm in the middle of adding a cool black abalone pickguard and truss cover to it. It's going to look great! I'll post it up when done! The pickups alone really opened the guitar up, sound wise.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

guys, I suffered from Serious G.A.S ( lol) and got the J custom RG8527z for my first 7. Need an S next
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 PM

A good buy! Well done!!!!

Sounds like a beauty. I wanted to pick up a J Custom 7 but the pricing is way out of line at this point. I also already have 3 J Custom 6s and thus, I picked up the 1527 for a steal and brand new at that.

Again, when I get some time, I'll post up some pics.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickae View Post
guys, I suffered from Serious G.A.S ( lol) and got the J custom RG8527z for my first 7. Need an S next
Congrats!

Let me guess, it's a black onyx one - I see the one that Mr. Sparkle had is gone...

DJ
--
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

you guessed it
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:25 AM

I'm about to pull the trigger on an RG7620 in perfect condition!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 PM

Buy my K7. ;p

Tags
2010 ibanez , 7 string , choosing guitars , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode