Can't decide what to get... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Can't decide what to get...

I'm basically torn here...

I was all set to pick up a Prestige model, prolly a 2550 till this weekend when I went into GC (I hate Guitar Center!) in my home town which happens to be the original location of Musicians Friend before GC bought them out. Anywho... I saw one of the Japanese Jacksons hanging on the wall and had to play it. To put it lightly, I was blown away! This one was the neck thru japanese soloist with the duncan pups, and there were 2 hanging on the wall. (I played them both and couldn't tell the difference)

I've always preferred Jackson guitars overall to most others but can't lay down the scratch for a USA model right now. I played every Ibanez on the wall and the only one that came close was one of the neck thru RG's they had, and the pickups sucked, no biggie but it's a factor. I deal exclusively with a small shop here where I live who isn't a Jackson dealer but they are a fender dealer and fender wants them to pick up Jackson so I'm sure they can work a deal. I'm just stuck on what to get... Fit and finish on both guitars is really nice. If I do get an Ibanez it'll be a neck thru model of some sort. Does Ibanez warranty the neck for life like other neck thru makers?

AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I can't decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 06:12 AM

dont hurt yourself deciding, either get both, either get none and consider a Steinberger
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Are they still around?
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 12:14 PM

yes, through musicYo.com
I think some guys here have musicYo "bergies", and they are not as bad as people used to say! (euphemism)
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 12:43 PM

MadRyan, I'd hold out for the USA Jackson. I think they're fabulous guitars. The only reason I don't own one now is because I think there more of a metal guitar and doesn't quite fit my needs. I wouldn't settle if I were you.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

I may just do that... Spring for the USA Jackson that is. I would have to play the Japanese one and a USA model back to back to really see what if any is different. I'm not really going to mortgage myself just to buy the USA model if there isn't any difference in sound/feel.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 10:56 PM

I'm not knocking USA (Fen)Jackson(der)s, but I don't know of many Japanese factory guitars that aren't built as well as most USA factory guitars. Of course, a total custom USA Jackson is a different thing, if not for workmanship than at least for your increase in choices.

To clarify the choices, a Japanese Jackson should be roughly equal in quality to the Japanese Ibanez. I know the trem and pickups will be different, and the neck will feel different, too. But in build quality they will both be excellent, as will a Japanese ESP. Things like the trem and the neck feel are deal breakers for a lot of people, as is the neck attatchment method, and that's fine. To move to any of the Korean neck throughs from the Japanese Jackson would be a mistake. To move to a Japanese RG would be a choice. To get a Japanese bolt neck RG because you really wanted the USA Jackson, but couldn't afford it, would also be a mistake, because the Japanese Jackson would be a fine guitar.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
I'm not knocking USA (Fen)Jackson(der)s, but I don't know of many Japanese factory guitars that aren't built as well as most USA factory guitars. Of course, a total custom USA Jackson is a different thing, if not for workmanship than at least for your increase in choices.

To clarify the choices, a Japanese Jackson should be roughly equal in quality to the Japanese Ibanez. I know the trem and pickups will be different, and the neck will feel different, too. But in build quality they will both be excellent, as will a Japanese ESP. Things like the trem and the neck feel are deal breakers for a lot of people, as is the neck attatchment method, and that's fine. To move to any of the Korean neck throughs from the Japanese Jackson would be a mistake. To move to a Japanese RG would be a choice. To get a Japanese bolt neck RG because you really wanted the USA Jackson, but couldn't afford it, would also be a mistake, because the Japanese Jackson would be a fine guitar.
I know this will be considered blasphemous on this site, but Japanese Ibanez quality could be better.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 06:31 AM
dex

Jackson SL1 is hands down the best guitar (short of custom) money can buy.
The only reason I don't own one is because Jackson are stuck in the 80's with their Shark Fins and SSH pickip configuration so I settled for and SL3 which is the Japanese version.
If Jackson made SL1 with clean maple fingerboard and HSH pickup configuration (no pickup rings ) I would sell all my guitars and get 2 of those in a heartbeat.

ilia
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Jackson SL1 is hands down the best guitar (short of custom) money can buy.
Should read: "In my opinion, the Jackson SL1 is hands down the best guitar (short of custom) that my money can buy. Your experience may vary."

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 12:09 PM
dex

What Frank said.

Think about it though.
Neck-thru quatersawn maple, alder wings, ebony fingerboard, duncans, OFR, made in the US, comes with hardcase and it costs only $1600.
Not to mention that it is available in 50 colours.
No other guitar maker can offer all that for the same price.

ilia
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Neck through - I can live without,

Alder - a nice wood, that's a given

Ebony - yes please,

Duncans - not my first choice

OFR - rather have an original Edge

Made in the US - USA, Japan they're both imports.

Hard case and it costs only $1600 - not really important when you're trying to claim it's hands down the best guitar (short of custom) money can buy.

Plus I don't like the necks, the controls are in a funny lay-out, and the body shape just not quite right. Seems like Waaaaaaaaay too big a compromise to me and certainly not the best guitar money can buy.

You can't knock the colour choice though!!!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
What Frank said.

Think about it though.
Neck-thru quatersawn maple, alder wings, ebony fingerboard, duncans, OFR, made in the US, comes with hardcase and it costs only $1600.
Not to mention that it is available in 50 colours.
No other guitar maker can offer all that for the same price.

ilia
Carvin. Not fully custom, but LOTS of choices, if you like their neck profile. Overall quality is right up there, though.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I was just trying to lighten the mood a little, but I pretty much agree with everything that's been said since, including dex's comments, besides "no one can offer..." I think if you already like Jackson's whole package, its true, that's an exceptional value. I hold a pretty tight view that when you're talking about guitars, music, or other art forms, nothing can be the "best." I mean you could take several very similar (almost identical copy) guitars, and maybe come up with a "best in class" but even then someone would disagree. Like back when Kramer, Jackson, and ESP all had basically the same carved top soloists available, you could have a "best" by judging fretwork, pickups, hardware, etc. but a Japanese or USA Jackson against anything Ibanez or Carvin makes can't really produce a winner.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 05:31 PM

And I'm the odd man out here who will recommend an Ernie Ball Music Man...top notch.

Tags
body shape , custom jackson , custom shop , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , ernie ball , guitar shop , heavy metal , jackson guitars , killer guitar , maple fingerboard , neck joint , neck thru , pickup cavity , pickup ring , pickup rings , pickup switch , reverse headstock , thrash metal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode