Cant lower the trem height to adjust the action!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Cant lower the trem height to adjust the action!!!

Hi guys, I want to know if some of you have this kind of problem when setup the action, my RG Prestige 3120 has very high action, and the bridge its almost leveled inside the body, I can not lower the bridge anymore because I cant turn the set screws anymore!! (yes, I already loose the allen screws inside the studs)

So what is happening? Its like the neck is routed to low into the body...
I read a lot on this forum , and everybody gets very low actions on this guitars...

Can you guys post settings about height at 1st fret, 12 fret and 24 fret for any prestige RG Ibanez?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 PM

Re: Cant lower the trem height to adjust the action!!!

I have added a small shim under the neck to tilt the neck up.A little goes a long way.Usually no thicker than a business card,sometimes a little thicker.I have had to do it on a number of guitars over the years.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, when you add a small shim is in the entire pocket? or just on the bridge side, or neck side?

The original setup has no shims, I get buzz on the 14-15 frets high E and B.
After that I shim the neck side, to be able to low the action, but I can not lowered more the bridge, Im not getting buzz, but the action is very high at 12fret (almost the same in the 24 fret) Im going to buy a feeler gauge to put exact measures here...

thanks.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 PM

neck side, at the edge of the neck by neck pickup. this will tilt the neck up allowing you to raise the trem and adjust the action lower.Also check the truss rod adjustment.I usually tighten mine till I get buzzing on the 1st fret and then loosen till it goes away.For shims I have used a folded over business card, wood laminate or sticky sandpaper about a 1/4" by the width of the pocket.You just need enough to get some adjustment back.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

ok, I have new info cos I got a feeler gauge to measure the differents setups..

Ok here I go:
First of all, I think I have the nut height too high, the bad is its not shimmed, as my jem ..

So to avoid problems with it, I just put a capo on the first fret to measure...

The neck bow its about .35 milimeters at 7th or 9th fret ( with the low E string fretted at the 1st and 24th )

1- With the neck shimmed on the headstock side I get these measures:
String Action Fret-12 in milimeters (with capo at 1st fret):
1.58 - clearance at fret 12, low E-string
1.26 - clearance at fret 12, high E-String

String Action Fret-24 in milimeters: (with capo at 1st fret):
2.08 - clearance at fret 24, low E-string
1.58 - clearance at fret 24, high E-String

2- I removed the shims, so it is in original state, have to raise the trem a little bit (a very little buzz on frets 14/15/16 E and B string, almost no noticeable only when bend)
String Action Fret-12 in milimeters (with capo at 1st fret):
1.00 - clearance at fret 12, low E-string
0.70 - clearance at fret 12, high E-String

String Action Fret-24 in milimeters: (with capo at 1st fret):
1.08 - clearance at fret 24, low E-string
0.90 - clearance at fret 24, high E-String

I notice that the action is not too high now , but I don know if you recommend to straigth the neck a little bit, to get a better action, also if I remove the capo, the strings raise a little.

the clearance of the 1st fret is .55mm and the clearance at 2nd fret with 1st fret pressed is .008mm
I think I have to lower a lot the nut height, but It doesnt have any shims!

what do you think ? can I improve the action?

thanks!

Tags
action set up , lower action , rg3120

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode