Can't sell the RG20th...so I'm gonna spice it up! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Can't sell the RG20th...so I'm gonna spice it up!

I got some ideas for my black RG20th today after playing a Jem77VBK yesterday (SICK guitar).
The RG is just too darn black, and since I can't sell it, I'll make it awesome.
I've decided to do a black pearloid or brushed chrome or mirror pickguard, white pickups and knobs, and possibly chrome hardware. Maybe even gold.
But I REALLY want pearl binding like on the Universe and Jem. Where can I get this done? Thanks all.
smitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 11:14 AM

Reviews: 10
Re: Can't sell the RG20th...so I'm gonna spice it up!

pickguard paradise will do the pickgaurd, see banner on this site.

Why not just try white pups and knobs first, it'll go nice with the original pickguard as that has a white trim
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 11:29 AM

you should go for a 7 pbk look... in fact.. get the piramid inlays and the old style handle too
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Nah, I don't wanna be yet another Vai clone. No monkey grip for me!
But where can I get that binding done? That'd be AWESOME.
And...thought of something else...
Is it plausible to convert the trem to a wilkinson?
smitty
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:30 PM

Do whats on the Hulk. Dremel small holes in the fretboard and fill them with glow in the dark paint and superglue over to seal it... Glow in the dark inlays! Yaaay!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1973 View Post
Why not just try white pups and knobs first, it'll go nice with the original pickguard as that has a white trim
Obviously it's all a matter of taste, but this is the most tasteful option, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Nah, I don't wanna be yet another Vai clone. No monkey grip for me!
Good man. Don't ruin that guitar.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:51 PM

Reviews: 6

Wilkinson?! Instead of an a double locking trem? I wouldn't recommend it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Whatever you do, make sure it's reversable and that you retain all the original parts unless you truly intend on keeping it for the long haul.

I'd go with either the white knob/pickup combo or maybe a mirror pickguard with blue pickups
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

I've thought about the white pickups/knobs thing alot. That seems pretty classy. I'm torn between white or cream or black/cream or black/white colored pickups though. I think that cream may look a little TOO cream.
I'm also convinced that I'll never be able to sell it for what I want. The best offer I've gotten was about $500. That's just too low.
I've also thought about finding someone to strip off the paint and do a slightly dark natural stain/rootbeer finish (like the old rootbeer jem).
Binding seems like it'd be WAY too expensive. And the wilkinson idea is cool, but it'd take alot of work and money. Original edge works.
Any ideas anyone has will work. Suggest anything that comes to mind. But no, we are NOT pulling a "Hulk!"
smitty
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 05:25 PM

As others said, don't do anything to depreciate the value yet. Just go with some white pickups, knobs, etc.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I've thought about the white pickups/knobs thing alot. That seems pretty classy. I'm torn between white or cream or black/cream or black/white colored pickups though. I think that cream may look a little TOO cream.
I'm also convinced that I'll never be able to sell it for what I want. The best offer I've gotten was about $500. That's just too low.
I've also thought about finding someone to strip off the paint and do a slightly dark natural stain/rootbeer finish (like the old rootbeer jem).
Binding seems like it'd be WAY too expensive. And the wilkinson idea is cool, but it'd take alot of work and money. Original edge works.
Any ideas anyone has will work. Suggest anything that comes to mind. But no, we are NOT pulling a "Hulk!"
smitty
I love zebra pickups, but if one coil is black and the pickguard is black it looks like a single coil pickup is installed.

Again, I'd go with white to match the white accent around the guard, the logo, and dots, but mate it's entirely up to you. There's something to be said for keeping it simple, IMO. You might wanna experiment with some of those pickup stickers from Universal Jems, whatever they're called.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, you're right. Pickups and such first. These stock ones suck anyway.
But first order of business is selling my Gibson EDS 1275 and buying either a PRS or Carvin.
smitty
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:25 PM

Reviews: 21

Yeah, I'd stick with changing the easy stuff first. You don't want to get stuck turning such a sweet guitar into an unfinished project!

Tags
chrome hardware , coil pickup , monkey grip , pickguard paradise , pickup combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode