Can't setup my S470 truss - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Can't setup my S470 truss

Hi all,
I have a strange (to me at least) problem with my S470 (2009 model).
When I first change the strings (same gauge) it started buzzing in lowE and A from the 12th fret to 22.
After I read the Jemsite forum + some technical videos and experts' info, I start messing with the action. To stop the buzzing I set the action about 3-3,5mm over the 14 fret which was very uncomfortable. Then I read in some info that I have to set the truss rod which I did. It is unnecessary to tell you that I did much worst, so I decided to send the guitar for a proper setup. When I took it back it was everything fantastic but after 3 days playing the buzzing started in the first frets.

About a week now I'm setting the truss moving a 1/8 each time but I can't find the right setup. The strange is that when I set the truss after an hour or so (to let the wood breath) it plays great without any buzz and with low action (2mm lowE - 1.5mm hiE at 14 fret).Few hours later the buzz returns (lowE + A, first 4 frets) and it is very annoying.

Is there a specific way to set the truss without "lose" it again???

Last edited by neoklis; 06-07-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 05:42 PM

Re: Can't setup my S470 truss

I don't think you're going to get a very low action without fret buzz because the radius of the bridge and the fretboard don't match. I have slight fret buzz on my s470 and as long as you can't hear it through the amp, you're fine. Fret the 1st and 17th fret and look at the distance between the top of the fret and the string at the 7th fret. I don't have the actual relief measurements in my head, so you may want to look them up. A feeler gauge or even a very thin pick would be sufficient. After you have the correct relief, the only thing left is adjusting the bridge to the action of you're liking. Hope this helps!!!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: Can't setup my S470 truss

Thanks, I already checked that and I have enough relief in the neck. The action according to Ibanez is correct and not very low. The thing is that with the factory strings I didn't get a buzz nowhere in the fretboard and also, as I said when I move a "click" the truss rod the buzzing stops for about an hour. After that it starts again only in the first 4 frets of lowE and A.

Tags
s470 , setup , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode