Caparison Dillenger Or J Custom 7570Z - which should i get? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:01 AM

Re: Caparison Dillenger Or J Custom 7570Z - which should i get?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caparison_Guitars

Here's the info about Caparison. They are made here in Nagoya and their lead designer stayed on after the rescue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 04:11 AM

The company was created well before Fender ever purchased Jackson, there is no Fender connection at all.

To be fair, I would even argue if there were Fender involvement, the quality may even improve, but really that is needless speculation as they would most likely never purchase the company, as long as they own Jackson.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsixboy View Post
Its just a pity that ALL the current Ibanez RG line have the wider necks now, the earlier ones that were around 56mm instead of 58mm feel perfect to me.
In my case I'd rather go with a 58 mm nut width as opposed to anything below 56.
I just found out that I was mistaken all the time. My guitars have Prestige Wizard neck, which is actually 58 mm at the nut.

Last edited by LowYaw; 09-08-2015 at 11:53 AM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowYaw View Post
In my case I'd rather go with a 58 mm nut width as opposed to anything below 56.
I just found out that I was mistaken all the time. My guitars have Prestige Wizard neck, which is actually 58 mm at the nut.
I think its more the thickness then the width actually. I was playing my RG520 last night and even though not super thin it was more the lack of shape around that back that makes it more uncomfortable.

But anyways I'm leaning more towards getting a J Custom 7 string now, mostly due to 7's are feeling more comfortable for some reason, especially when picking. To me anyway it feels as though when on a 7 my hand sits more naturally where as on a 6 (especially a thin neck) it doesn't have the shoulder up high to sit, so you either do extreme thumb behind neck like dimebag style or something in between, which I think is the issue.

I searched for ages on all the catalogs and of course there isn't any prestige that has a thicker neck except for the roadcore series (technically a prestige?). Even the SA series EU get some nice non prestige models but OZ is left with one color.

Looking at this bad boy

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/ec/pro/disp/1/411409
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 06:23 AM

Having played a J-custom extensively (a JCRG20126BGA) while having superior aethetics, the Caparison TAT I own sounds, and plays quite a bit better. They seem to have some sort of comfort to them, in such a way that it truly brings out the snappiness, and nature of the materials used in the best of ways.

If they're evenly priced, and you're looking purely for sound, I'd say go capa
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsixboy View Post
I think its more the thickness then the width actually. I was playing my RG520 last night and even though not super thin it was more the lack of shape around that back that makes it more uncomfortable.

But anyways I'm leaning more towards getting a J Custom 7 string now, mostly due to 7's are feeling more comfortable for some reason, especially when picking. To me anyway it feels as though when on a 7 my hand sits more naturally where as on a 6 (especially a thin neck) it doesn't have the shoulder up high to sit, so you either do extreme thumb behind neck like dimebag style or something in between, which I think is the issue.

I searched for ages on all the catalogs and of course there isn't any prestige that has a thicker neck except for the roadcore series (technically a prestige?). Even the SA series EU get some nice non prestige models but OZ is left with one color.

Looking at this bad boy

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/ec/pro/disp/1/411409
The Roadcores in Japan are all prestige. IMO, the necks actually feel more like Fujigen Strats than anything else. Wouldn't be surprised if Fujigen just slapped on one of their strat necks to that body.

I agree to an extent about the thickness of the neck. I think it's why my favorite Ibanez neck is the MIJ Wizard II. It has that little extra meat to hold onto, feels a lot more comfortable. I still do love the neck on my RG5000 though, old school wizards are great feeling as well.

Just like all things with guitars, it's a personal preference thing and no one guitar is right for everyone.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewtershmit View Post
The company was created well before Fender ever purchased Jackson, there is no Fender connection at all.

To be fair, I would even argue if there were Fender involvement, the quality may even improve, but really that is needless speculation as they would most likely never purchase the company, as long as they own Jackson.
Just in case you did not know,Caparison was Jackson japan for quite a while.....but they were too high in quality,even matching USA in many regards for the price point. So eventually a new company was found for the lower level Jackson range. That is the connection i am referring to.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchelonXIII View Post
Having played a J-custom extensively (a JCRG20126BGA) while having superior aethetics, the Caparison TAT I own sounds, and plays quite a bit better. They seem to have some sort of comfort to them, in such a way that it truly brings out the snappiness, and nature of the materials used in the best of ways.

If they're evenly priced, and you're looking purely for sound, I'd say go capa
I had a chance to seriously look at a JCRG20136, and while nice it just wasn't worth the price, I think the aesthetics were good but to me it looked like you were paying double or more then for a similar prestige just for fancy fret ends and a nice maple top. I played the FR uppercut straight after and it actually felt better to play in some regards, only difference was aesthetics, both necks were as easy to play as each other, both sounded just as good as well.

I think I will get a J Custom but it will be second hand.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:48 PM

Do you prefer a compound radius fretboard or do you like them to be flat? That's the biggest thing really. I have a J-Custom RG and a Caparison TAT and everytime I play the TAT I can't help but wish my J-Custom had compound radius as well. It just has a real nice curve to it. Playing chords low on the neck is way easier too.

And to whoever said Caparison pickups suck... they don't. If you don't like them that's fine, but they certainly do not suck.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Youth View Post
Do you prefer a compound radius fretboard or do you like them to be flat? That's the biggest thing really. I have a J-Custom RG and a Caparison TAT and everytime I play the TAT I can't help but wish my J-Custom had compound radius as well. It just has a real nice curve to it. Playing chords low on the neck is way easier too.

And to whoever said Caparison pickups suck... they don't. If you don't like them that's fine, but they certainly do not suck.
Much bigger differences than compound or not are neck angle to the body, for example, in my opinion.

What makes you right in that the pickups don't suck and the guy(s) that think they do are wrong? Strange "my opinion are the right one" way of expressing yourself.
For me is it not if I like the type of pickup or not, it is that the lack many of the things that separates a good pickup from a bad one. I really don't like Duncan's JB4, but it is still easy to hear that it is a good pickup, just not to my taste.

I know loads of people that plays Caparison, both pros and others, and all of them have asked for help (or changed them selfs) with getting better pickups for them. For the same reason I just wrote, lack of many of the qualities a good pickup should have.
That and my own ears are all the evidence I need.

It is fine that you think they don't suck, but that isn't that you are more right than the guys (like me) who think they do suck. Considering the price range of the guitars is it almost amazing.

/Magnus
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
Much bigger differences than compound or not are neck angle to the body, for example, in my opinion.

What makes you right in that the pickups don't suck and the guy(s) that think they do are wrong? Strange "my opinion are the right one" way of expressing yourself.
For me is it not if I like the type of pickup or not, it is that the lack many of the things that separates a good pickup from a bad one. I really don't like Duncan's JB4, but it is still easy to hear that it is a good pickup, just not to my taste.

I know loads of people that plays Caparison, both pros and others, and all of them have asked for help (or changed them selfs) with getting better pickups for them. For the same reason I just wrote, lack of many of the qualities a good pickup should have.
That and my own ears are all the evidence I need.

It is fine that you think they don't suck, but that isn't that you are more right than the guys (like me) who think they do suck. Considering the price range of the guitars is it almost amazing.

/Magnus
I'm not saying all their pickups are amazing. The single coils and single coil sized humbuckers are indeed quite average. But personally I'm a big fan of the PH-R and PH-F humbuckers. They're some of my favorite pickups ever. I get what you're saying though, sometimes you just don't like the fundamental sound of a particular brand. I'm like that with DiMarzio.

I kind of have to agree on the price thing, the prices of Caparison guitars have gone up a lot and as far as build quality goes they're not at J-Custom level yet the prices are up there.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Caparison is better than Ibanez, I like both brands. My J-Custom is better in many ways but the Caparison has features I wish I could get on an Ibanez.

But I guess that's always going to be a problem, a guitar is rarely a 100 percent perfect for you unless it's a custom shop one.

Last edited by Ecstatic Youth; 10-07-2015 at 06:33 PM.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

I ended up giving the Caparison a miss due to not really seeing the value, it looked pretty boring as well as it was just a plain wood finish, kinda reminded me of the old Nuno Washburn model he had.

I ended up getting the new 2550Z which comes with Dimarzio's in the 2015 version and thankfully no neck binding as well, and at half the price of the J custom I can't really complain.

Not saying J Customs are not worth it but I really don't see where the value is on some of the models. The 7570Z that I was looking at is basically the cheapest current J Custom but is so similar to the 2550Z except that is has a maple top and ebony board, but same body wood and pickups. Its looks "nicer" and obviously your paying for the extra attention to detail on a J Custom but I honestly can't fault the Prestige anyway, completely blows away any of my similarly priced premiums as well.

Tags
caparison , j custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode