Caparison Dillenger Or J Custom 7570Z - which should i get? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Caparison Dillenger Or J Custom 7570Z - which should i get?

Hi all,

I'll try keep it short and sweet.

Basically sick of selling guitars left right and centre due to not liking the really thin wizard HP and super wizard necks (keep convincing myself to keep trying). After playing my old early 2000's RG170 I have decided to try and get a high end Jap guitar with a similarly shaped neck.

So the only high end Ibanez I can see that has a neck remotely close to the wizard II is the J Custom RG7570Z. It has a Custom "U" shape which I can only assume is a lot more round (hopefully like my RG170's neck).

I was pretty set to buy the J Custom but after some words from a mate he suggested looking into Caparison guitars. I have never really thought about them until last night, and luck would have it there is 2 Caparison Dellinger II's left in my country (apparently know one is stocking them now).

By the specs the Caparison neck isn't as wide as the J Custom and looks to be thicker. And well I love the clock inlays as well

So please throw some advise my way and help me choose. As both would be sight unseen and both would be pretty expensive I can only choose one. The J Custom is on sale in Japan and would cost around $2000USD to get here after shipping and taxes. The Caparison would be around $1500 USD, heavily discounted due clearing out remaining stock.

I'm leaning more towards the Caparison due to the neck profile BUT I still love the look of the J Custom more and don't want to dismiss it yet.

J Custom:
http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/ec/pro/disp/1/416900

Caparison:
http://www.dwmusic.com.au/caparison-...-wm-natural-ef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:06 PM

Re: Caparison Dillenger Or J Custom 7570Z - which should i get?

J Custom for me. I'll keep it short and sweet. Ibby has way superior build
quality. Caparison's have thin finishes and their stock pickups suck. Neck
profile on Caparisons whilst good for me was always better for rhythm
the JC always excelled at lead. Caparisons depreciate like a mofo as well
whilst a good J Custom will hold it's value. I'd look into some of the older
JC's like the RG1880 etc if you're looking for something with a thicker neck
without the big outlay for a new one.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I have been looking for months on ebay etc for a J Custom here in oz, but they just never ever come up for sale. And all the second hand ones for sale in Japan/US are pretty $$$ due to the terrible exchange rate at the moment.

Talking about finishes, that's one thing that worries me about the J Custom to be honest. I know recently I tried a jcrg20136 and it sounded very muddy and unclear, in comparison to prestige 2550z I tried back to back with it. I could only assume it was either the thick finish on the body and/or the mahogany body.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsixboy View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I have been looking for months on ebay etc for a J Custom here in oz, but they just never ever come up for sale. And all the second hand ones for sale in Japan/US are pretty $$$ due to the terrible exchange rate at the moment.

Talking about finishes, that's one thing that worries me about the J Custom to be honest. I know recently I tried a jcrg20136 and it sounded very muddy and unclear, in comparison to prestige 2550z I tried back to back with it. I could only assume it was either the thick finish on the body and/or the mahogany body.
It's the mahogany and yep for the 1000th time on here I will post that
mahogany is not 'muddy' merely darker. You're comparing that to a
basswood RG which is def gonna sound brigher but if you're getting
muddy from a J Custom it's not the guitar.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:43 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Excellent advice!!! GO J-Custom
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Excellent advice!!! GO J-Custom
Yea I'm leaning towards that way again.

Such a hard decision though. Just spoke to the store about the caparison and its actually the only dellinger left. He said the neck isn't heaps bigger then the normal RG's but said it is noticeably rounder.

I know its a long shot but would nayone know what the neck on the 7570Z is like? I mean custom "U' shape could mean anything really.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 05:39 AM

i'd go with J custom. I am guilty of making the same mistake of going with more expensive guitars to realize I still like Ibanez more (wiz ii)

ymmv
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:57 AM

Get a J-Custom, much better guitars than Caparison (in my opinion in every single way).

But good luck with what eve you get!

/Magnus
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:42 AM

The J custom is the higher grade instrument,i have a couple and adore them.

Caparisons are great,especially pre Fender take over....and i have that exact model Dellinger for sale if your're intrested,pre Fender 2007 in Adelaide.
Only selling due to having too many guitars and home renovations.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I'd also look at Ishibashi gakki's English webpage. You can find some stuff here that is Japan market only and if it's used, it can be shipped overseas. They sometimes get some nice J customs and some nice older Ibanezes as well.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
Get a J-Custom, much better guitars than Caparison (in my opinion in every single way).

But good luck with what eve you get!

/Magnus
I definitely agree, its more just down to the neck size really. Ikebe were kind enough to send pics of the neck from the 7570Z but it doesn't really look like much of a U shape, from the pics its hard to tell though.

The issue is its such a massive outlay without being able to try it out, would suck to go through the import process only to not like the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowYaw View Post
i'd go with J custom. I am guilty of making the same mistake of going with more expensive guitars to realize I still like Ibanez more (wiz ii)

ymmv
Its just a pity that ALL the current Ibanez RG line have the wider necks now, the earlier ones that were around 56mm instead of 58mm feel perfect to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I'd also look at Ishibashi gakki's English webpage. You can find some stuff here that is Japan market only and if it's used, it can be shipped overseas. They sometimes get some nice J customs and some nice older Ibanezes as well.
I'm inclined not to deal with them, nothing personal but from previous experience they got super paranoid about me ordering something awhile ago, I understand their not meant to sell certain things overseas but it was a bit over the top.

And I would rather not buy second hand tbh, if local that's a different story, can at least check it out in person.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
The J custom is the higher grade instrument,i have a couple and adore them.

Caparisons are great,especially pre Fender take over....and i have that exact model Dellinger for sale if your're intrested,pre Fender 2007 in Adelaide.
Only selling due to having too many guitars and home renovations.
Thanks, feel free to PM me about the guitar

I did have a early 2000's J custom earlier this year, probably shouldn't have sold it. But I hated the colour and a few other things about it, but the neck was pretty much perfect. I have since been told its similar to the JPM necks so I am "hoping" another one "in a better color" comes up locally sometime soon.

I'm looking at other brands like Carvin as well now, but of course its worst timing ever to be looking at buying from the U.S, makes getting something like that very expensive. But some of the Kiesel guitars look awesome, especially with the zebrawood fingerboards.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Caparisons are great,especially pre Fender take over....

Ummm what? Fender has nothing to do with Caparison, unless I'm way out of the loop
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks, feel free to PM me about the guitar

I did have a early 2000's J custom earlier this year, probably shouldn't have sold it. But I hated the colour and a few other things about it, but the neck was pretty much perfect. I have since been told its similar to the JPM necks so I am "hoping" another one "in a better color" comes up locally sometime soon.

I'm looking at other brands like Carvin as well now, but of course its worst timing ever to be looking at buying from the U.S, makes getting something like that very expensive. But some of the Kiesel guitars look awesome, especially with the zebrawood fingerboards.
Get zebrawood fingerboard with a 5 piece maple/purpleheart neck with a black limba body

I have a Carvin (JB200). It's an AMAZING guitar. It's my number one and nothing will ever change that. My 1A is my RG5000 though
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewtershmit View Post
Ummm what? Fender has nothing to do with Caparison, unless I'm way out of the loop
Well i heard Fender played their part because of the Jackson connection...but after Caparison guitars went bankrupt it was rescued and renamed the Caparison guitar company and production was streamlined and ramped up. The older stuff is the more desirable as it's pre take over and pure Caparison. Fender do not list Caparison as a brand so maybe my info on the new owner was incorrect...it came from industry insiders.

Tags
caparison , j custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode