Carbon Fiber Pro 540s build thread - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Carbon Fiber Pro 540s build thread

POST 1 -> PARTS! (my puppy likes to help!)

Body

Neck ->

EDGE ->

No need to include redundant images.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Re: Carbon Fiber Pro 540s build thread

*note* be wary of doing work near your wife's coach purses! I got beat senseless for a minute or two.

PART 2 -> body work

Step 1. sand that awful clear coat off.

Think wood grain filler isnt really "needed"? The guitar is now smooth on the back. I will let it dry overnight. Sand it down, and do another bit of grain sealing.

LOTS of dings, that will be invisible

Tomorrow -> Getting rid of the pickup selector switch route, the middle pickup route, smoothing and prepping for priming.

Still waiting on my carbon fiber to get in the mail
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 05:39 PM

Looking good can't wait to see it finished.
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr8 View Post
Looking good can't wait to see it finished.
Im so excited to get it. Its basically the same as my first guitar that I bought for myself (parents bought me first one as a kid), and it will bring back a lot of memories.

I decided to do the neck san dimas style, i will upload pictures later. In the mean time, Im about to go to bed. edit : blew my mind how many imperfections in the wood I couldnt even see. Painted black with a nice high polish finished, it would have shown up AWFUL. lol
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 AM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
*note* be wary of doing work near your wife's coach purses! I got beat senseless for a minute or two.

PART 2 -> body work

Step 1. sand that awful clear coat off.

Think wood grain filler isnt really "needed"? The guitar is now smooth on the back. I will let it dry overnight. Sand it down, and do another bit of grain sealing.

LOTS of dings, that will be invisible

Tomorrow -> Getting rid of the pickup selector switch route, the middle pickup route, smoothing and prepping for priming.

Still waiting on my carbon fiber to get in the mail
how did you post your pictures directly onto the post like this? and also, your project is very intersting! Im looking forward to seeing how it turns out!!
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryang View Post
how did you post your pictures directly onto the post like this? and also, your project is very intersting! Im looking forward to seeing how it turns out!!
two ways.

One. click the small square that looks like a picture on the tool bar directly above the text box. its the one with the mountain and sun.

two. type "[img]" and then paste the link, then type "[/img.]" without the period. Put that there so it wouldnt code in.

edit: thanks Lets hope I dont mess it up or drop or something stupid like that lol. The neck line came out fantastic. I couldnt be happier with it. I will be using electrical tape to do all fancy edges from now on. When I get home I'll post some pictures of it. I think 5 layers of clear will be enough for the neck. I did a really good job spraying, theres no orange peel or runs, and its pretty smooth, so Im not sure if I need to do much for wetsanding. If I do, I will start at 1500, 2000, then go immediately to polishing compound. get it SHINY.

Lerxst6 said for me to do the headstock in carbon fiber as well, but Im not overly convinced yet. Thoughts?

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 02-01-2011 at 06:18 AM.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

PART 2, DAY 2 ->

Neck ->
I absolutely HATE finished/painted necks. Even tung oil. So, on every guitar I have ever owned, the neck comes off and I sand it down to bare wood. Well, one of the coolest things about my old Axis, was the shellaced headstock, but the neck remained unfinished, which just seemed classy.

Step 1 -> masking. I used electrical tape in the hopes it would provide a really good straight line. The green masking tape was tripled up, and a doubled over paper towel was used to catch excess paint. Remember, with masking tape, its really meant for roll on/brush on paint, and I've had experience where the tape can actually bleed through, so be safe and double up.

Next was clear coat application. No need pictures of that really.

Now, I did 5 coats of clear, and noticed whatever I was doing, I was doing right, because there was no peeling, no marks, nothing. Just smooth paint each coat. So kudos to me

this was after the fifth coat. I was VERY happy with the line that came out nice and straight, and no pulls. It was a little raised, but thats what I wanted. It would sand off nicely (This wasnt wet sanded or polished yet!!)

This was the effect desired. Id say mission accomplished!

Now, I did a 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit wet sanding, followed by buffing coumpound burnishing. It came out like a MIRROR! The only defects are from the actual dinks in the wood.

post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

PART 2 DAY 2 CONT ->

Body!

after bracing the back, I filled in the pickup selector switch routing, the tone and vol knob holes, and did a half ass filling of the middle pickup (remember, carbon fiber will be over it, and is rock hard, and will be impossible to see the middle ever again).

I cut myself opening the filler

No bandaids? No problem. (Dont ask whats going on with my JEM body... yes thats one of my real bodies getting surgicized on )

Sanded down smooth ish. I didnt want to come TOO close to the edges, so it would have something to grab on to the body with. I dont want things popping out . I was thinking about using dowels, but its not a load bearing part, so I didnt really think it was needed.

Tomorrow she gets primed! (maybe today before I go to bed if I feel up to it).

post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 PM

Reviews: 2

I'm really diggin' this linux. are you doing a full CF wrap, or just a top? I'm imagining a 2 color swirl over the CF......... that would be really cool.

I like the neck work so far too...... looking forward to seeing the blend.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm really diggin' this linux. are you doing a full CF wrap, or just a top? I'm imagining a 2 color swirl over the CF......... that would be really cool.

I like the neck work so far too...... looking forward to seeing the blend.

after tons of discussion with lerxst6 (hes the one that sold me this stuff), I am going to paint the body black first. Then I am going to just do a carbon fiber veneer basically. On the headstock too!. Now when you say a 2 color swirl, you mean leave the carbon exposed and doing a swirl over the top and let it bleed through? That would be COMPLETELY sick, but I suck as swirling I want tthis guitar to be a little classy.

Im REALLY debating on if I want to refret this thing or not.... I feel like I should go all out, but I dunno.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

LIFE!

I think I used half a can of primer to fog it on there properly lol.

Will do another coat of primer, sand, recoat. Probably repeat 2 or 3 times after that.

edit: before I go buy it... gloss black or pearl black for the back???

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 02-01-2011 at 04:33 PM.
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM

sccweettttttt!!..

Can't wait to follow this build.. The headstock came out great!!
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadua View Post
sccweettttttt!!..

Can't wait to follow this build.. The headstock came out great!!
thank you Im still waitin on the carbon to get here, but I Got time!
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:59 PM

dude, i feel like i should post the tracking #/delivery confirmation. i think you had it sanded down within minutes of receiving it!!!

looks great!
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst6 View Post
dude, i feel like i should post the tracking #/delivery confirmation. i think you had it sanded down within minutes of receiving it!!!

looks great!

hahaha yes , about an hour after I got it The mail lady delivered it right as I was unlocking my front door, so I was excited.

I almost forgot how small these things were

Tags
s540 build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode