Carvin 7-Strings... - They any good? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Carvin 7-Strings... - They any good?

Hey people...

I was in the market for a good, not-too-pricey 7-string that I could depend on for some serious woodshedding. When I came upon Carvin, and their numerous good reviews here and there, I said "Hey, that doesn't look too bad." I chose all the options I wanted off their website and got all prepped up to get one...

But before I lay down any cash though, I was wondering if any of you guys got any opinions on those Carvins. I was thinking of a DC 747 (the H-S-H one) with a maple neck with alder wings, standard ebony fretboard, jumbo frets, and a tung oiled neck (I don't like painted necks).

What do you guys think of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 04:30 AM

Reviews: 12
Carvin 7-Strings...

I've tried one a customized Carvin 7 string at the store they have here in Los Angeles. It wasn't too bad. Had 2 switches (one was a phase inverter and another i wasn't too familiar with), H - S - H setup, 5 way switch. It was around $900 list and I thought i wasn't too bad for a customized transparent finish 7 string because you can usually knock off a bundle if ya purchase direct from the store itself. Otherwise, I was planning to get one of these for a 7 string but I love Ibanez too much

Reg
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 07:11 AM

Carvin 7-Strings...

I have a DC 727 (H-H), all mahogany with ebony fingerboard. The guitar it's pretty amazing, light, tight, fast playing. Things that bother me:

I got it from their "in stock" section on their site, and it's rumoured that returned guitars by unsatisfied customers, are displayed there too; my guitar has the frets slightly longer than the fretboard, so they stick out like shark teeth on the sides, luckyly, they're kinda short & polished so i hadn't had any accidents yet :), also it has a slight weird bow in the neck that doesn't seem to be fixable with truss rod adjustment, but doesn't really affect playing. Also unplugged it doesn't sound sweet enough for me & it doesn't sustain that much, maybe it's cuz it's all mahogany (neck too), i can't tell since i haven't really played many guitars in my life to know the woods that good, i got a basswood ibanez that sounds sweeter unplugged , carvin is very clear & defined, but doesn't have the power to cut like the ibanez does (all these unplugged). Now when u plug it in, you can get feroucious power with this beast, especially if you got the active/passive system like i do; one thing though, you might not like the pickups, they are VERY brutal & trebly, ther're really unsubtle, so if you want to play metal i think it'll be just heaven, but if you want to do sensible leads, i think you'll have to swap them, i wanna do that too, but i'm not shure what to get, i think a JB & a Jazz in the end but dunno......

I couldn't send the guitar back, cuz i'm in Romania & an american friend bought it for me, Carvin has a dealer in Romania but this guitar costed me $689 & in Romania it would probably had been $1200-1500.

I can make some quick RA, samples if you want, also there is this other guy that has a Carvin 7 that posted on this site ( i think the multimedia section), it's maple neck + alder sides + maple top, has pics & sounds of the guitar, it sounds pretty much like mine :)

If you have any further questions just ask

Tags
ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , jumbo frets , maple neck , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode