Carvin bolt--anybody have one / played one? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Carvin bolt--anybody have one / played one?

Long story made short: I used to have a Strat Plus w/ EMG's in it. Always loved the sound of it, never liked the feel of it.

Anyway, in an effort to pick up something more Strat-like, I was wondering if anybody here has owned (or even played) a Carvin bolt? For the money, it looks like a decent guitar, and I like the plethora of available options. I imagine I'd probably order one with an ash body, maple fretboard, and fixed bridge, then install the EMG DG-20 pickup set when it arrives.

The thing that draws me to the Carvin is it's flatter fretboard radius--I think it will feel much more natural in my hands than the average Strat.

So, does anybody here have any experience with these guitars?

Thanks,
--Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 12:45 AM

I don't own one, but I've played one briefly...

Its a *great* feeling guitar for a more modern strat feel. If you're going for a traditional fender vibe, you're not going to get it, no matter how hard you try... although I get the impression that ain't what you're lookin' for

The neck is thinner, sort of comparable to a Radius or JS neck, I believe (no exact comparisons, just sort of in the same ballpark). The actual guitar is quite light, and very comfortable strapped on. Brand spankin new ones need alot of breaking in time, as I've heard they have a sort of "factory-fresh" feel... which is nice for some things, but not so nice for guitars :P

Either way, they're quality axes, and I'm actually planning to get a Bolt myself, as well as a nice DC747 to replace my RG7620 (I'm getting fed up of the RG!!!)... although who knows when that'll happen! LOL

Hope I helped out a bit,
K
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 02:50 AM

used to own one. i got it used, so i had no say in the options, but i did end up putting duncans in it, namely a jb in the bridge. i also moved the volume knob back like an ibanez. these are excellent playing, sounding, and looking guitars. the necks are like a wider wizard 2. pretty comfortable, my only regret is the string tension. it could get buttery, but at the expense of buzzing(i wanted it to play like my rg550...think strat!!!) still was excellent. the stock pickups do sound good, but duncans kick the crap out of them. still, EMGs are your flavor, so who cares what the stocks sound like!!! they have a smaller neck plate and are smoothed over more to feel like there is less of a neck joint. good job there. the frets feel good, too. like mediums- this combined with an ebony board on a tung oiled maple back is pretty damn sexy feeling. the 5 way switch it has is one of those ****ty ones. i left mine in, only due to the available coil tap. you probably will, too, for the emgs. the work and hardware on these guitars are great. mine had sperzels and a hardtail with a standard graphite nut. i installed schaller straplocks, but took them off when i sold it. this was bought as a backup for my main stage guitar(SC420) due to the hardtail, to drop D with, and i just really didn't like the feel of it as much as any ibanez. carvin does great work and i have played my share of them as well, this little axe was still up there with all of them. if your looking to get a decent shred strat, those would be a good idea. you can get them custom made for less than an american strat.

rich
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 08:30 AM

I've got two of them - both quilt tops. You're getting Anderson quality gear for half the price. I've had them, I know. Waaaaaaay underrated gear IMHO. Carvin dominates play...

HT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Re: Carvin bolt--anybody have one / played one?

there the most amazing guitar ive ever played. i love the neck on them, im getting 2 of them soon, one trem one with out trem, then ill be happy and i wont need another guitar for like 20 more years, i dont think ill ever play a guitar that isnt a carvin again, except jems, but i think the carvin neck is better then the wizard. any day.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:02 PM

Shredder, what are you doing, digging up ALL the old Carvin threads? I mean, I like Carvin stuff too, and I'm glad you like yours, but go practice or something already!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:31 PM

Oh, man I got to get me one of these .

Regards

André

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 07:47 PM

yeah accually i did dig every carvin thread i could find, and i did practice lol

Tags
carvin bolt , coil tap , ebony board , fixed bridge , fretboard radius , graphite nut , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck joint , neck plate , strat plus , string tension , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode