Carvin Custom shop questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Carvin Custom shop questions

So I've been looking into getting a Carvin custom made guitar but there are a few questions I have. Has anyone had a guitar custom made there? IF anyone has, please post and I'll post all the questions I have then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:24 AM

Re: Carvin Custom shop questions

I have a C66 that I had made. You can post your questions. You also might want to check the carvin forums as they have a lot of people willing to answer questions. I am on that forum as much as I am here.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I have a C66 that I had made. You can post your questions. You also might want to check the carvin forums as they have a lot of people willing to answer questions. I am on that forum as much as I am here.
Thanks man.

Here are a few things that have popped up in my research onto getting a Carvin custom built:

1. I am planning on using a DC127 as the base (I want an HH guitar as I already have enough HSH with my Ibanez, and I have my HSS 560). Do they allow for 5 way switches on HH guitars?

2. Can you request to change the position of the 3 way or 5 way switches? I dont like the position of the 3 way, coil tap or phase switches on the standard DC127 model. They seem to be out of the way and hard to switch on the fly (I like the position of the switches on the JB200)

3. Can you request that the neck be made with the dimensions of a different model? I like the JB200C neck profile and I was wondering if the same profile could be used on a DC127.

4. I was originally thinking of getting the M22SD and M22V pickups but I'm also curious about the standard C22 series. How would you describe the C22 series versus the M22 series? From everything I've researched on the M22 series, they are higher output pups designed for metal and the standard C22s are more of a medium output type, but I plan on playing this in Eb tuning and was wondering what might be a better choice.

5. Since the plan is to be in Eb tuning, what gauge strings do you recommend? I know that the scale length is shorter meaning there is less tension on the strings but would 10-46 gauge strings work well? I use D'addario 10-46 for all my Eb Ibanez guitars.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 AM

I would definitely post these in the carvin forum.

1. I believe you can request changes like this. It may be what they call an option 50 which means that you won't have the 10day trial period. You get it like it is. Of course if there is an error on their part they will fix it.

2.I believe you can request this change too. The best thing to do with these questions is to call Mike Jones at the carvin san diego store and ask him about them. The sales folks can tell you a lot more about what they can and can't do, more than even forum members. I had a black binding added to mine that was not listed as an option.

3. Yes you can request the jason becker profile.

4. I have the M22SD in mine. It is high output. It is a little hotter than the Duncan Distortion pickup. It seemed pretty tight in the low end. I actually replaced it with the Duncan distortion but will switch it back since I did not like the Distortions drop in output. I have no experience with the C22 but there are some good pickup description posts on the carvin web forum.

5. I don't have experience with this question, perhaps some other jemsite folks can better address scale and tension questions.

Good luck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I would definitely post these in the carvin forum.

1. I believe you can request changes like this. It may be what they call an option 50 which means that you won't have the 10day trial period. You get it like it is. Of course if there is an error on their part they will fix it.

2.I believe you can request this change too. The best thing to do with these questions is to call Mike Jones at the carvin san diego store and ask him about them. The sales folks can tell you a lot more about what they can and can't do, more than even forum members. I had a black binding added to mine that was not listed as an option.

3. Yes you can request the jason becker profile.

4. I have the M22SD in mine. It is high output. It is a little hotter than the Duncan Distortion pickup. It seemed pretty tight in the low end. I actually replaced it with the Duncan distortion but will switch it back since I did not like the Distortions drop in output. I have no experience with the C22 but there are some good pickup description posts on the carvin web forum.

5. I don't have experience with this question, perhaps some other jemsite folks can better address scale and tension questions.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot. I'll probably have to make another phone call over to the U.S., but it's better if I talk to the guys in S.D. rather than the Japanese dealer. Although they may direct me to talk to the dealer over here, which is what I'm worried about

I'll read up about the pups because that's a big sticking point for me right now.

I have one more question for you (this one is a little easier I think):

I'm planning on getting the standard alder/maple body/neck but I was wondering how much do the stripes (i.e. Maple 2 w/mahogany stripes) changes the sound quality of the guitar (if any). Do you have any idea how those stripes make any impact or are they just for show?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 12:28 PM

If calling carvin is an issue. Try emailing Mike Jones [email protected]

Well talking about tone woods is definitely a hot topic. Some folks don't believe in tone woods, some do. I think the idea of the different wood strips is to help with neck stability but I can say that a plan neck can be plenty stable. I have not had any issues with any of my guitar necks on my carvin or ibanez guitars., which are plan maple necks.

A search of our forum here might shed some light on the neck stripe idea with other necks.

Good luck.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Thanks man.

Here are a few things that have popped up in my research onto getting a Carvin custom built:

1. I am planning on using a DC127 as the base (I want an HH guitar as I already have enough HSH with my Ibanez, and I have my HSS 560). Do they allow for 5 way switches on HH guitars?

2. Can you request to change the position of the 3 way or 5 way switches? I dont like the position of the 3 way, coil tap or phase switches on the standard DC127 model. They seem to be out of the way and hard to switch on the fly (I like the position of the switches on the JB200)

3. Can you request that the neck be made with the dimensions of a different model? I like the JB200C neck profile and I was wondering if the same profile could be used on a DC127.

4. I was originally thinking of getting the M22SD and M22V pickups but I'm also curious about the standard C22 series. How would you describe the C22 series versus the M22 series? From everything I've researched on the M22 series, they are higher output pups designed for metal and the standard C22s are more of a medium output type, but I plan on playing this in Eb tuning and was wondering what might be a better choice.

5. Since the plan is to be in Eb tuning, what gauge strings do you recommend? I know that the scale length is shorter meaning there is less tension on the strings but would 10-46 gauge strings work well? I use D'addario 10-46 for all my Eb Ibanez guitars.
Carvin does something called an option 50. This allows you to ask for things that are not done in their builder. Downside is that an option 50 guitar cannot be returned. Also, every option 50 must be approved by the company president before they will build it. They may just say no to certain options. The carvinbbs is full of requests, denials, and successes. You should check the board out before ordering. There is also a guy on there that will do a photoshop mockup of the guitar your thinking about to give you an idea what it will look like.

1) They use 5-way switches. I have one on my DC600 with HH combination.
1 Bridge pickup
2 Inner pickup coils, parallel
3 Outer coils, series
4 Outer coils, parallel
5 Neck pickup

2) I'm not sure the JB is based off the ST300 not the DC, so you'll need to ask the salesman. They deleted the tone and 5-way on my yellow ST + added the push-pull coil split for $50.00

3) Yes - $50 option. I have this on both my DC600 & ST300. Very popular option.

4) I have an MS22 in the ST300 and the C22's in the DC600. The MS22 is hotter. I like both sets. I will say that I like Dimarzio's better - with the Fred being my favorite. So that gives you an idea of my taste.

5) Can't answer this. I always use 9-42. I welcome that the Carvins feel easier. It sets them apart from my other guitars. I do tune my S classic to Eb every now and again to play along a song. It has 9-42 strings and a 25" scale - but I always tune it back up.

My advice is don't rush into ordering one. Do the research. Read the posts on the carvinbbs, especially the NGD threads and just ordered threads. These will give you a feel for what folks are buying and how it worked out.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot tom and moebius. I finally got my account activated on Carvinbbs so I'm gonna post the same stuff here and also the guitar I am thinking of building so that I can get all the info I need.

Tags
carvin , custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode