Carvin DC models... - necks...other info appreciated - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Carvin DC models... - necks...other info appreciated

Lately I've been kinda looking at the Carvin neck through DC 127s..i like the H-H config as well as the fact that it's neck through, has an EBONY fretboard...my fav...and the fact i can choose stuff that i want on it....though the costs add up really quick...
I was just curious about how flat or round the neck is...i LOVE flat wizard style necks...another question is about the Floyd routing...is it routed deep for lifting like our beloved ibanezes and jacksons? *that's really the deciding factor along with the neck...dimarzios are going in anything i buy...well..almost...lol...but anyway...thanks anyone who can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 10:07 AM

Carvin DC models...

If you like wizard necks, you will love a carvin neck profile....unless they have changed it. *It is flat and thin and you can just tear it up on a carvin board. *How they produce such great necks for so cheap I don't know. *I owned one back in the early 90's, a full tung oiled koa model, neck was koa too...it was stunning to look at. *

The only thing I didn't like were the pickups. *And you have to have your guitar routed a little to fit new ones in there. *But that was a long time ago. *My buddy's carvin 7 string sounds really nice. *They have a 10 day trial period so I would worry about it. *Call them and get the neck dimensions and compare them to wizard dims, I bet they are close. *I traded my carvin and another guitar in for a Ibanez USA Custom Exotic Wood (quilt maple) and I actually thought the necks were very similar. *Be careful on your fret wire sizes that you have carvin put on...that can make a huge difference.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 10:08 AM

Carvin DC models...

Here's all the information you can eat.

I have always been highly curious about Carvin, but since I just got a RG421 it'll be awhile before the Carvin question comes up again for me.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Carvin DC models...

thanks a lot...that helps me a lot...the playability is most important to me...i was thinking about getting the holdsworth pickup option...i wanted the dunlop jumbo frets on it...and of course no inlays...i want to feel that smooth ebony fingerboard. *now if i can just find out about the routing for the floyd...i HAVE to be able to go up a fourth like on my lo pros...i was thinking mahogany body with either mape or mahogany neck...

...ironically...i was just looking at that exact image...i love that pearl blue finish...i think if and when i get one...probably will...ill get that color...i like flamed tops...but that pearl blue is beautiful.

(Edited by texshred777 at 10:17 am on Mar. 14, 2002)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 11:43 AM

Carvin DC models...

As much as I love my Carvin DC127, the neck dismensions are just not for me. *I like my neck thin yet slightly rounded on the back and slightly narrower. *The Carvin is a little too flat on the back *and wide at the nut for my tastes. *Closer to a Wizzard than to my Parker. *They make great guitars!!! *You can find one on e-Bay fairly cheap if you want to just try one out as a cheaper project guitar. *The Floyd rout is pretty standard I think. *You should be able to pull it up as much as any other. *It isn't a lo-profile version. *Just the regular "Original" floyd. *

(Edited by shred4Him at 2:09 pm on Mar. 14, 2002)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 07:33 PM

Carvin DC models...

I love the neck. *Width is like a wizard (but flatter; 15" radius), but the thickness is more like an ultra.

The fretwork and fingerboard rock. *I have 2 Carvin necks, and they both beat any Ibanez I've had in finishing quality. *But they only offer the one profile on the DC series.

Oh, and the scale on a DC is 25", so it'll feel slinkier than a 25.5" wizard. The bolt ons are 25.5".
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 08:40 AM

Carvin DC models...

The Ibanez neck has a "flatter" radius (19" vs. Carvins 15" radius) I believe... I wasn't terribly happy with the feel of my DC127's neck either, which is why I let it go - I thought it felt stiff, manufactured, angular... it's hard to explain but it felt like it had never been touched by human hands - I didn't like it... I also thought the electronics and cavity covers were extremely poor quality for an American made instrument... Ibanez puts better quality pots, switches and cavity covers on it's Japanese guitars than Carvin put on my DC127... I think it's too bad you can't try one before you buy one, because if I'd had the opportunity to play and examine one for 15 minutes before getting mine, I'd have known it wasn't for me... Still, I did trade it for my much-loved Nitefly, so the story has a happy ending
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 12:28 PM

Carvin DC models...

Ibanez tops out at 430mm radius - that's about 16-17". *My bad; for some reason I thought they were 12".

I dunno about Carvin switches, but I DO know that the switches in my sabres were the WORST I've ever used, bar none. *The one in my current Radius is better; dunno if it's original or not. *Maybe I just got a couple bad ones before.

I disagree with the feel thing. *Other than a better fretboard and better frets & fretwork, my Carvin necks feel as human as my Ibanez ones. *Is it maybe the drier ebony you're feeling? *

I wonder which company's CNC machine is more human? *;-)

And you CAN try them out. *Don't like it, return it; that's the deal.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 12:56 PM

Carvin DC models...

The Carvin floyds are deep routed - at least on the DC747 (7 string guitars). *Here's a link to a picture of the Floyd and route on my DC747.

Randy
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 02:19 PM

Carvin DC models...

I played through a fixed bridge Carvin DC747 the other day (neck-thru) and it was KILLER. Makes the AANJ of any Ibanez guitars feel clunky by comparison. I'm not putting down Ibanez at all, but the neck-thru allows for even easier access to reach up to the 24th frets. Very comfortable (and an ebony board, too).
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 03:04 PM

Carvin DC models...

I love both of mine (pic here). *My only complaint is that the frets on the black one with the ebony board extend past the edge of the fingerboard and are a little jagged. *I plan to correct this by simply filing them. *I'm guessing the ebony board shrunk a little after the frets were pressed and dressed. *No such problems on the maple board DC747. *

The pups are nice - pretty tame (think PAF) but with nice clean tones and with drive, they sound pretty schweet to my ears. *If you do replace them, you'll have to route as they're sized smaller than comparable Dimarzios. *Check the 7 string forum as there's a thread there where I detailed the exact dimensions.

Used, they go incredibly cheap. *I bought both of mine used and have a whopping $825 between the two of them...

Tags
cavity cover , clean tone , custom exotic wood , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , fixed bridge , fret wire , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez usa custom , jumbo frets , mahogany body , neck dimensions , string guitars , tung oil , usa custom exotic wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode