Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Greece
Posts: 833
Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

I love its looks, the pickup options and I am thinking of getting a slightly used Carvin DC400 Anniversary with a Wilkinson trem, stainless steel frets, gold hardware, a nice sunburst maple top, matching headstock and probably some other options I am now forgeting...

Apart from its great looks (to my eyes) and good build quality how is the sound? How are the stock pickups? How does the Wilkinson trem hold tuning? How is the sustain? With what other guitar would you compare it?

Thanks in advance for your replys guys...
I searched the forum a little, Jim777 seems to have had one, and a few other people... i am counting on your input guys...
jazzedout is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:59 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 848
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

on man are they great guitars


id recoment it with a flat radius 14, its better, thier smaller radius necks can feel a little tight when ur shreding i guess

mand the dc400 models in general are awesome guitars, and tone heaven for sureget it all tung oil id say, but thats just me saying id say
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Moderator
 
jim777's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 9,600
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

To me, what makes or breaks a Carvin is the finish on the back of the neck. Go with the tung oiled finished neck, especially on a mahogany neck, and you'll be set for life. If you go with a finished neck, I've found the Carvin's finish to be sticky to the point of distraction. Stainless frets rule completely, so those are a no brainer. The Active elctronics...eh. I could live without them. I like Carvin 6 string pickups, but pickups are so personal I wouldn't worry about them. the C22J is supposed to be a great neck pickup, but I haven't played one myself.

They are great guitars all in all, really well built and very solid. Personally though, I would avoid an older one with a finished neck. That's the only real deal breaker for me with Carvins. Ask for a shot of the back, if it looks like this:



you're good to go

jim
jim777 is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Greece
Posts: 833
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

The guitar is used, so I can't choose any options. It has the stainless steel frets and the back of the neck looks like this:


To me it looks like it is painted and it is not mahogany but maple-bubinga or something. the pickups are C22J & C22B humbuckers and it is a 2007 model. Is the finish on the newer models better than the old ones?
jazzedout is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Moderator
 
jim777's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 9,600
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

I honestly don't know if they've changed their lacquer, but that's definitely a lacquered neck. Any chance of playing it before you buy, or returning it if you aren't happy with it? Like I said earlier, they are great guitars but I personally prefer the tung oiled neck. It might not be a problem for you though, so I'd hate to see you pass on it simply because of my personal preferences.
jim777 is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 848
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
To me, what makes or breaks a Carvin is the finish on the back of the neck. Go with the tung oiled finished neck, especially on a mahogany neck, and you'll be set for life. If you go with a finished neck, I've found the Carvin's finish to be sticky to the point of distraction. Stainless frets rule completely, so those are a no brainer. The Active elctronics...eh. I could live without them. I like Carvin 6 string pickups, but pickups are so personal I wouldn't worry about them. the C22J is supposed to be a great neck pickup, but I haven't played one myself.

They are great guitars all in all, really well built and very solid. Personally though, I would avoid an older one with a finished neck. That's the only real deal breaker for me with Carvins. Ask for a shot of the back, if it looks like this:



you're good to go

jim


i love carvins......the only thing i dont like is the body styles, but if i were into the solist type bodies, or if i evolve and fork out, id most likely get a maple neck with ebony and thier holdsworth 20 inch radius(unfotunately its only available on the holdsworth or id have gotten one already) neck through with alder body with flamed maple on top
id be in love with the string through, but i might get a kahler, and for thier pups id get a mss2d in the bridge, but they dont offer h x x setups

i got a 727 like in 2003, but i sold it already i played it till the frets were gone and i updated it from stock to dimarzios and eventually had a bartolini in it

for the actiuve stuff its great, but you only get punch sound if the battery is brand new, once it bets 1/3 used u can hear the difference in the active circuit

if only carvin got the endorsement for the steve vai guitars, but obviously ibanez has more money to fork over
at least carvin gots the legacy
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 08:42 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 848
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
The guitar is used, so I can't choose any options. It has the stainless steel frets and the back of the neck looks like this:


To me it looks like it is painted and it is not mahogany but maple-bubinga or something. the pickups are C22J & C22B humbuckers and it is a 2007 model. Is the finish on the newer models better than the old ones?

if u feel confident, you can always remove the finish down to the wood, carvin necks are actually a little thick in my opinion and have plenty of wood to go down and then it will still be thicker than a wizzard...but thats my idea

when i got my 727, i sanded the tung oil neck down, and gave it a ebony stain, and then re tung oiled it


just cuz the guitar was stained black already with a poly finish, i wanted it to match

it worked great!!!
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Greece
Posts: 833
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

I wish I could play the Carvin, but unfortunately I found it online, so it is out of the question. I decided to buy it since the US$ to Euro ratio is so favorable at the moment, that if I decided to sell it localy I wouldn't loose any money and someone would be getting a bargain.

FYI a DC400TA with the option this one has costs new $1400-$1500 max. The Greek distributor has them for 2200 Euro ($3400 at the current rate)

A couple of years ago I was very biased towards unfinished necks. I only used to play my RG550 which I have sanded the neck... Nowdays I also play my S540 which is the same wizard neck but I haven't sanded it at all, a Levinson Blade strat which has a very glossy/sticky finish (but it's a strat, thicker neck, no real shreding on that one, but it is doable)... Also my RG7620 neck is left original.
I do feel confortable sanding the neck on the Carvin but I wouldn't do it because it looks very quality and from the pics I've seen it has a nice flame that really stands out with the finish. Unfinished you wouldn't see that much.
jazzedout is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 10:51 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 1,178
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
. . . and for thier pups id get a mss2d in the bridge, but they dont offer h x x setups
There is a model on their website in H-x-x- config. I think it's relatively new, but it's called the "DC125".
ColinMmmmm is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 03:30 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 848
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
I wish I could play the Carvin, but unfortunately I found it online, so it is out of the question. I decided to buy it since the US$ to Euro ratio is so favorable at the moment, that if I decided to sell it localy I wouldn't loose any money and someone would be getting a bargain.

FYI a DC400TA with the option this one has costs new $1400-$1500 max. The Greek distributor has them for 2200 Euro ($3400 at the current rate)

A couple of years ago I was very biased towards unfinished necks. I only used to play my RG550 which I have sanded the neck... Nowdays I also play my S540 which is the same wizard neck but I haven't sanded it at all, a Levinson Blade strat which has a very glossy/sticky finish (but it's a strat, thicker neck, no real shreding on that one, but it is doable)... Also my RG7620 neck is left original.
I do feel confortable sanding the neck on the Carvin but I wouldn't do it because it looks very quality and from the pics I've seen it has a nice flame that really stands out with the finish. Unfinished you wouldn't see that much.
how come u dont just go to carvin to get one....calll em up, and order one, youll only pay a 12 percent inport tax i beleive on top of the tottal charge if its going outside of the us when u shipp it
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Greece
Posts: 833
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

Carvin won't let you ship were they have a dealer. Ihave previously tried to get one of their bolt on kits as well. Today I went to the Greek dealer and asked them to explain the huge difference in price. The only thing they did was lower the price of a DC400 (not the Anniversary) that they had in stock at 1800 euros (from 2200). It is quite a bit of a discount but still, the difference in price is huge. Anyway I have bought this used 2007 DC400TA which seems to be in pristine condition for a fraction of the price... Hope to have it here by next week...
jazzedout is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 04:11 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 848
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

ok how about this

il will purchase one for you
i send u the reciept
ui reimberse me
ill ship it to you for a tottal of 80 bux shipping most likely

youll get it for 1400 us....do the math....ill help u out, theres no need to go through scammers and ripp off artists just to be going to a "dealer" who has monopolized the market u are in

guitars are for joy, not money
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 04:12 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 848
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
Carvin won't let you ship were they have a dealer. Ihave previously tried to get one of their bolt on kits as well. Today I went to the Greek dealer and asked them to explain the huge difference in price. The only thing they did was lower the price of a DC400 (not the Anniversary) that they had in stock at 1800 euros (from 2200). It is quite a bit of a discount but still, the difference in price is huge. Anyway I have bought this used 2007 DC400TA which seems to be in pristine condition for a fraction of the price... Hope to have it here by next week...

i forgot u already bought i

nevermind

but anyways...yeah if i was in anyone shoes over seas, id just get a friend to buy it and then shipp it over

screw the buttheads who dont ship over seas and the complex stuff u have to go through to get a decent guitar
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Greece
Posts: 833
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

The wait is killing me... Come on postman... Hurry up!!!
jazzedout is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Greece
Posts: 833
Re: Carvin DC400TA anyone played/has one?

Hi all.. I received the package today, opened it up and found a nice Carvin tweed case! Tried to open it... locked. Hmmm.... looking for the key in the packaging, nowhere to be found... Is there a way to pick the lock without destroying it? Thanks everyone for your help.
This is the worst torture ever....
jazzedout is offline  
Reply

Tags
alder body , beautiful guitar , ebony fingerboard , flamed maple , maple neck , neck pickup , stainless frets , stainless steel frets , steel frets , steve vai , string pickup , string pickups , tung oil , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS-Vintage Carvin X100B Head and 4x12 Carvin Cabinet ZOMB13 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 01-06-2008 03:51 AM
Carvin MTS Master Tube Series ibanezcollector Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 8 09-14-2006 11:09 PM
I just played today Carvin California Carved Top shredfreak All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 22 02-12-2006 05:48 PM
carvin legacy or carvin v3? honky_tonk Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 15 12-21-2005 12:30 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome