Carvin DC727 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Carvin DC727

Well i've been looking for a 7 string latley and i stumbled across this one what do you thnk of it and do you have any suggestions on a good 7 string
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 02:37 AM

I've heard good things about the Carvins. But, the pickups and pickup routes aren't the usual size, so you'd have to do some cutting if you don't like the pickups and want to replace them.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
I've heard good things about the Carvins. But, the pickups and pickup routes aren't the usual size, so you'd have to do some cutting if you don't like the pickups and want to replace them.
That's the first I've heard of that. I know of quite a few people who use their pickups in non-Carvin guitars, and they fit right in, so I figured the other way around would also be true.

Either way, I think they look bad-ass!
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 03:29 PM

No, he's right. The pickups are odd sizes, and it makes routing necessary to fit most other pickups in.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 03:39 PM

Do you only mean the Carvin 7 string pickups, or ALL of them?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 03:46 PM

I'm pretty sure it's all of them.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 03:49 PM

Carvin pickups are smaller in length and/or width. You can use them on other guitars, but the cavities on Carvin guitars are smaller and will not fit other brands of pickups without modification.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 08:07 AM

So, EVERYONE can use their pickups, but if you buy one their guitars, you HAVE to use their pickups. Unless you want a chunk taken out of your guitar, which would void warranty and kill resale value.

Sounds shadey, to me.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 09:32 AM

shady , but damn smart marketing
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 03:41 PM

I was going to say that, but decided to leave it at shady.

Think about how pissed off you'd be, if you found out that that new Duncan you just bought, won't fit into your new "custom" guitar. And, the guitars manufactuer never felt that it was necessary to tell you that?

I know that to some people, taking a router to a new guitar isn't a big deal, but to most(I'd bet) it's not something they'd be very happy about.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 06:23 PM

I think Carvin would do really well if they standardized their pickup sizes and/or started offering a few Duncan/DiMarzio/EMG pickup options. Granted, making their own pickups is a good way to keep prices down and margins high, but in this day and age of customizing and modding, i think a lot of people would really like the option of being able to swap pickups on their custom instruments.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
I think Carvin would do really well if they standardized their pickup sizes and/or started offering a few Duncan/DiMarzio/EMG pickup options. Granted, making their own pickups is a good way to keep prices down and margins high, but in this day and age of customizing and modding, i think a lot of people would really like the option of being able to swap pickups on their custom instruments.
I agree. As many people as I know, who use their pickups, I've heard even more people complain that they DON'T like them. I fhtye were to buy a Carvin guitar, with the intentions of replacing the pickups, you can be sure that the guitar would be returned, and they would never give them any business again.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 09:50 AM

I've played several Carvin DC727s. Played one last week that rocked my world! Best playing 7 I've ever touched. But... I didn't like the pickups. Hehe. That being said, the size difference between the Carvins and for example Duncans and/or Dimarzio pikcups is minimal. You don't have to 'take a chunk' out of the guitar. I'd guestimate it's about a 16th of an inch difference in the width and, perhaps, squaring the corners of the pockets a hair. That's it. Someone with absolutely zero experience could work this kinda mod with an emery board and a tiny chisel for the corners. Don't sweat the small stuff guys.

Cor
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 01:06 PM

Yeah, but... They really should standardize. I like their products a lot (just ordered my 3rd neck from them) but that's really not cool. A modder shouldn't be forced to cut wood to replcae pups.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:48 PM

The pickup size would be less of an issue if anyone actually liked their pickups but it seems to be an almost universal complaint about the 727 and 747.

Tags
carvin guitars , darren wilson , dimarzio pickup , peavey wolfgang , string pickup , string pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode