Carvin DC727/747 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Carvin DC727/747

What do you guys think of these guitars? They look tempting, *but* I heard that the pickups are terrible and they are a non-standard size so you need to route to replace them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 12:08 PM

Reviews: 1
you are correct....do a search as this has been discussed. I wrote an email to carvin about the pickup routs and they will not enlarge them to suit aftermarket pickups. The stock pickups, from what I hear, are very similar to blazes. Others peoples opinions may vary, but i really think carvin shoots themselves in the foot on their custom shop sales because of this issue. The 6 strings are fine because carvin pickups are very high quality and there are a lot to choose from. Unfortunately, they only have one type of 7 string pickup. The trem is also another issue and is comparable to the low trs. If you get a hardtail and like the pickups, then you are getting a high quality instrument.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

What does tony macalpine use?
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 08:02 PM

I got a Carvin DC 727, all mahogany neck thru, string thru and fixed bridge, rounded body edges + Active passive system.

Good things:

Beautifull guitar ( mine is natural finish )
Locking tuners
You can set the action really low and just fly on it

Bad things:

Horryble pickups
You can't change the pickups
The Active passive system adds unwanted treblyness

I also have an Ibanez RG 270 and had Dimarzio Evo's in it.

The Carvin feels stiff and sterile compared to the Ibanez, and the pickups sound nothing like a Dimarzio, one increddible thing i just can't get is this:

You can have amazing ballsy clean sounds with it, i mean a dream for Jazz players, but with distortion it's thin like a tin can, and trebly, and shrieky.

Anyway hopefully in a few days i'm gonna go over to a friend who has an RG7620 and try that one and let him try the Carvin and get a 2nd opinion, maybe i'm just freaky about it
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:25 PM

Re: Carvin DC727/747

I know that you can make the pickups fit into the guitar if you decide to change them...it isn't impossible, people fit EMG 707s and 81-7's into guitars. You may not want to route the guitar, but dimarzio has plastic instead of metal where the screw is inserted, so that can be easily sized down. That is probably why they are created that way. Besides, I think the carvins are great playing and sounding guitars...with the proper pickups, you can help color the sound and allow the active system to work beautifully. I like RG 7's, but you can get that carvin to sound ten times better than an RG with proper care and pickup upgrades. Personally, i think the RG stock pickups suck anyways, so if you change those, change your carvins and see how much more versitile and better it sounds. Again, it's just my personal opinion
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:20 PM

I used to own a Carvin DC727. It was a very good guitar, but I agree with the sentiments in this thread about the pickups and in particular the bridge pickup - it wasn't good when you wanted to get good crunch - very muddy. I would have to say that the bridge pickup was my biggest complaint.

If you go to the Carvin discussion boards, there are some people there that have replaced the bridge pickup with other vendor's pickups (usually DiMarzios) and they mentioned that they had to use a Dremel on the pickup mounting feature without altering the guitar's wood routing but I never tried this myself. You may want to go over there and find out what they have done.

Other than that, I think that the Carvin is a great alternative for a good 7-String solid body guitar especially since you can "customize" it by selecting which finger board wood, inlays, fret size and composition, body wood, figured wood tops, and the color and/or stain. If they ever offer a Piezo on their fixed bridge 7 String guitars, I would buy from them again.

Hope this helps.

JJG
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:03 PM

I own a Carvin DC 727c with Harlaquine Prismatique finish, just like Tony Macalpine's, except that mine has block inlays. On the Carvin 2005 catalog, Tony is shown carrying 727c's but live, he always uses either his TMAC VI(a DC-127c) or his TMAC VII(a DC-747c).

As far as i'm concerned, the Carvin 7 string is the best 7 string on the market, best bang for buck and best-sounding. I own six 7 string guitars(different brands) and i can honestly say it creams my Ibanez even on a "bad setup day". With probably the exception of a Universe, i don't think it's fair to compare Carvin's with RG models, IMHO. And i HAVE an RG 7620.

Peace!

Jim
www.jimantonio.tk
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:07 PM

I've heard carvin guitars are really good, like quality wise... was thinking of buying one sometime (a 7-string), I love doing mods on a guitar so the pickup issue wouldnt be a problem for me, and I wanted a locking tremolo and doing a change/routing wouldnt be a problem either, but my main wonder is... are Carvin guitars good? (Quality)
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:46 PM

It looks to me, from what I gathered from the Carvin catalog, is that Tony's guitars are just regular models, that say "TMAC" on the headstock? WTF is the point of THAT?

Anyways... Ibanezrocker61, yes, Carvin guitars of of very high quality. My bassist swears by their instruments, and amps, for that matter.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:38 PM

I think if you fall in love with the neck it's not that big a deal to bring the guitar to a luthier and get him to fit your DiMarzios or whatever in the guitar. It's not like the Carvin 7 pickups are an inch shorter or anything, it can be done without trashing the top or the finish.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 05:54 AM

What I want to know is how the neck is (thickness, blablabla), and how high quality the stainless steel fretwork is (stainless steel is the only way to go).
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:24 AM

I would totally buy one. However I would only buy a hardtail. I've been spoiled by the Ibanez trem on the new 1527 and can't imagine going to a floyd or Wilkenson,,, but if I had to choose I would probably use the Wilkenson because it seems stable and I don't use the trem alot anyway. Carvin 7 are great no doubt about it. The pickup thing sucks,,, but it depends on what you like. You may like the way it sounds and that would be great. If not replacing the pickups isn't that big of a deal. No one likes using a dremel on something new. Dimarzio's in a Carvin 7!!! Hell yeah,,, I'd be sanding away at those pups.

~A
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:02 AM

Carvin is having a 1/2 off options and cases sale now, with all their 7's also 100 bucks off. So, if anyone was thinking about pulling one out of the bay, it's probably worth it to just pop on over to their site today and see how much a new one would be. I was playing the "build my new guitar" game on their site last night, and got one totally loaded in at around 1150. That's with a 5 piece neck, too
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 12:46 PM

Thumbs up Re: Carvin DC727/747

MMnmmm! Carvin I have three a 727,a 747,and a Dc400 all I love and adore them. how can you go wrong for the price.? I use Lundgren Pickups in my Carvins they sound tighter like an EMG but not active,these pickups rock. I had to dremmel out such a small amount to make them fit,it really didn't bother me or the guitar.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 11:03 PM

Welcome aboard Billy! Have you got any experience with the Ibanez 7's, either the RGs or UVs? If so, how would you compare the necks?

thanks,
jim

Tags
alder body , block inlays , bridge pickup , carvin guitars , coil tap , custom shop , dimarzio evo , finger board , fixed bridge , fret size , ibanez trem , jumbo frets , locking nut , locking tremolo , locking tuners , low trs , maple neck , neck thru , quilted maple , seymour duncan , sounding guitar , steel wool , string guitars , string pickup , tony macalpine , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode